Join Early Retirement Today

Re: The election
Old 08-05-2004, 05:11 PM   #21

Hey John Blake! Good post. I am basically a
libertarian, and I stay home EVERY election day.

John Galt
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2004, 02:17 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

TH- love your attitude!!

Bush and his minions scare me. I don't think they have the interest of the citizens as a whole as their primary concern. They, and their supporters, lie and confabulate worse than the Nixon bunch.

If the current administration continues in office I believe that the deficits will grow even larger because we will be paying for Bush's international adventures and tax breaks for the rich.

Administrations on both sides of the isle have made short-sighted foreign policy decisions over the last 40 years in the Middle East. However, only with a change in leadership will we have a chance to rally others near term to a resolution that considers the needs of all.

Al Sharpton is a great social commentator. If he could play the piano he could do a revival of That-Was-The-Week-That-Was.

Old 08-06-2004, 05:44 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Bush is headed to a "Harry Truman' one term - but foreign policy will be roughly set for the next 30 yrs. The blue dog Dems and the fiscal Repub.s will write the ship with a little boost from Adam Smith's 'invisible hand' aka the financial markets. De Gaul and the Norwegian Widow shall be proved right once again. Is this a great country or what? It just keeps getting better and better - and I'm a pesimist.
Old 08-06-2004, 06:32 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have been out of town for awhile and was horrified
to find that alien body snatchers have taken over
most of my ER friends. Being a TEXAN, you know
where my sentiments lie.

A proud Republican and conservative to the core ....

Charlie
Old 08-06-2004, 06:41 PM   #25

Stop me if you've seen this one already:

http://www.jibjab.com
Old 08-06-2004, 09:33 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

The real solution to the mid-east is to dig out the remaining oil and wave the residents a hearty farewell and goodbye... it's like quicksand for any outsiders who want to get involved, no matter how good their intentions are.

Anyway, I don't like either party.
Old 08-07-2004, 10:07 AM   #27

This thread sucks. It will do nothing but polarize us and
get everybody pissed off at each other. I vote we
abandon political argumentation. I so want to respond
to all the hate mongering going on, but will refrain for
the sake of this fellowship.

Charlie
Old 08-07-2004, 11:47 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

I second that. Like many other folks, I am a political junkie. But let's have at least one site where we all can get away from it.
Old 08-07-2004, 01:25 PM   #29

This is for CHUCK-LYN and unclemick. First I agree this thread "sucks" and I would prefer to avoid politics here,
realizing they are bound to creep in anyway. For unclemick,
I was musing that if De Gaul married the Norwegian widow and they retired using this calculator, would
you call it French FIREs?

Ouch! That was even worse than some of TH's stuff.

Apologies to all...

John Galt
Old 08-07-2004, 01:58 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Well John

Keep trying - but it's going to be tough to beat your dryer sheet flag motto.
Old 08-07-2004, 06:09 PM   #31

So true! That is a classic.

John Galt
Old 08-07-2004, 07:11 PM   #32

Cut,

I could reply point by point but what's the point?
I would not convince you of anything and my comments
would just "disgust" you. Your post just proved my
prior point. Get the point?

Cheers,

Charlie
Old 08-07-2004, 07:23 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Cut-Throat

I'm not so sure it's the glasses of wine. Maybe the water.

Me - western Washington - lumbermill lunch bucket Dem. - long line. Brother in law - eastern Washington - farm country Republican - long line.

I think there's a reason for why the Cascade Mountains are where they are. When we get together we talk about trucks, not politics - since our minds are made up. Although he is partial to Fords and I drive a Chevy Silverado. The Nephew is independant and drives a Toyota truck. *
Old 08-07-2004, 08:21 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Ouch! That was even worse than some of TH's stuff.
It is NOT! My stuff is MUCH worse. :P

As far as the rest, I dont mind a little politics, as long as the opinions are observational rather than side-taking.

I crapped on both candidates equally, and I've voted both democrat and republican, so I think thats allowed.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 08:43 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

I tempted to side with the "no politics here" crowd... mainly because a few other message boards I reside on become all but unusable during the election season.
Old 08-08-2004, 08:51 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Thank goodness the presidential elections happen only once every 4 years here. If the SRW isn't enough to draw blood, politics certainly could be!

Anne
a liberal who prefers to shy away from the bloodier discussions
Old 08-08-2004, 09:26 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Perhaps I can interest you people in a nice data based Safe Candidate Selection tool that can help you determine which candidate will be best for us for the next two terms?

:P

There are a lot of discussions where you'll never get two people to agree no matter what the content of the discourse is. Its because the beliefs and opinions are not consciously data and situation driven. Its because most beliefs and opinions are influenced by serial subconscious layers of inflection that are built from the day we're born. We're largely unaware of most of them, but without realizing their existence they largely create our uniqueness and our approach to life.

These are our learnings and 'intuitions'. And also our contradictions.

These discussions are good if you keep them to content, and away from 'rightness' or trying to convert the other side, and if you can park emotions at the door.

They stink when someone says they're open minded when they're not, considers the other persons arguments 'wrong' or 'shifty' if they dont agree with their own, or feel attacked or like attacking during the course of the discussion.

Not to mention perfectly good friends and acquaintances can suddenly turn into mindless jerks upon the mere touching of a particular topic. Sex, religion and politics are the primary three areas where most people have a huge buildup of subconsious filters and influences.

Thats why they're usually good to avoid. Hardly anybody wants to play fair in them.

I avoid all problems by hating everything and everybody equally and considering everything I encounter with a certain level of disgust and annoyance
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 08-08-2004, 09:46 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

This is a REALLY good bit of discourse on this problem..."antiprocess".

http://members.aol.com/intwg/antiprocess.htm

Well worth the read.
Geez, guys, at least let's be productive.
Old 08-08-2004, 12:16 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Geez, guys, at least let's be productive.

I'm with Chuck, I'd rather we restrict this stuff to Intercst's board's politics forum.

But if political junkies must post here, let's make it more productive.

Persuade me: should I vote for Bush or for Kerry?

Don't bash one or the other. I'm not voting for a candidate just because his opponent's a loser. I want to vote for the guy that's presumably capable of doing a better job.

I've voted for Reagan, Bush Sr, Clinton, and Colin Powell. I also voted for a rich haole Jewish woman to be our governor (which has turned out to be a good thing). I think Al Gore has learned a lot about being human these last four years, but I won't be patronized, condescended to, or lectured.

I voted Florida absentee for many years and was disgusted to learn that most (if not all) of my votes were discarded because the military's postage-paid ballots weren't postmarked. This is my first national election as a Hawaii voter so I'm ready to sling those four electoral votes with wild abandon.

I can't see much to be impressed about with the current administration, but keeping an eye on them in the White House is probably cheaper than incarceration. Unlike Kerry's Krewe, they've had to make real-time decisions on insufficient & inadequate data (that's their fault!) but I can't fault them for making a decision that had to be made. I also agree with Th that anyone who shoots movie footage of himself in Vietnam for future political use is probably not the kind of person I'd want to give access to nuclear weapons. And three Purple Hearts? I can understand one or even two but THREE?!? Was he paying attention to the training where they teach you how to take care of your sailors and to stay low?

But I digress. Let's focus on "why I should vote for this guy", not "cuz the other guy's such a loser". Your persuasive & compelling presentation will buy my vote and perhaps millions of others.

OK, have at it.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 12:55 PM   #40
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I don't work anymore, so I don't have to kiss anyone's ass.
Exactly right. And Cut-Throat, I'd be willing to bet the farm that you didn't kiss anyone's ass when you were working either. The world could use more like you.