Join Early Retirement Today

Re: The election
Old 11-07-2004, 02:35 AM   #141

And another thing................

I keep hearing Bush referred to as a Conservative.
Maybe so. Lined up next to me he would appear
pretty liberal. This helps explain why people like me think that people like Kerry are the lowest lifeform
on the planet.

Driving back from Texas, I discovered that disappointed
libs/dems were flocking to the Canadian immigration website. The host opined "It's a good start!"
Amen brother!

John Galt
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2004, 03:21 AM   #142

My final thoughts (on this topic).................

This is for TH and others who refer to Bush backers
as "stupid Neanderthal bible thumpers", or similar
labels. I am a 25+ year Mensa member and have tested
in the 99th IQ percentile since I was in high school.
Even though I am pretty sure I lost a few points over the years due to consumption of "Old Stumpknocker",
obviously I am no dummy. In fact, I am quite a deep
thinker, in spite of my sometimes goofy posts (I'm just
messin' with y'all) So, I may be politically radical,
egocentric, overbearing, arrogant, opinionated,
domineering, pushy, insensitive etc., but dumb I ain't...................

John Galt
Old 11-07-2004, 05:00 AM   #143

Quote:
The host opined "It's a good start!"
Amen brother!

John Galt
Congratualations on your new Jr. U.S. Senator!
Old 11-07-2004, 06:05 AM   #144
Recycles dryer sheets

" Driving back from Texas, I discovered that disappointed
libs/dems were flocking to the Canadian immigration website. The host opined "It's a good start!"
Amen brother! "

Ummmmm, and and meanwhile you were flocking to Illinois, the stronghold of the Republican party?

I am curious, when you say Illinois, is the "s" silent as the French say it, or do you pronounce the "s", as we do in American English? I bet you are one of those fancy pants types trying to copy the furriners.

And furthermore...

http://www.intriguing.com/mp/_sounds/hg/hamster.wav

(just foolin with ya)
Old 11-07-2004, 08:34 AM   #145
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
This is for TH and others who refer to Bush backers
as "stupid Neanderthal bible thumpers", or similar
labels.
Actually John, I said no such thing.

I made some humorous comment about 49% of people being below the intelligence midpoint. Complete with the smiley. I also said that people have bought a pack of carefully constructed lies and misdirections, courtesy of a billion dollar advertising campaign...but I did give them the out that most of them are probably simply too busy to look past empty platitudes and scare tactics. I also said, but not at this web site, that the republican party is starting to resemble a frankenstein monster of glommed on parts that have little to do with the conservative bend. To be fair, I said the same thing was true of the democrats...maybe worse there.

In fact, just above on this very same page, I said "its not that people are dumb. Its just that a 51% majority of people who may not have seen through a professional spin campaign and who agree on a set of religious and moral considerations all felt the same way about something"

But we're illustrating the prime feature of this administration...dividing people instead of uniting them.

"You're either with us or against us" (screw compromise)
"I will reach out to everyone who shares our goals" (uh...gee George...thanks, thats really bending over backwards)

You dont have to be a mensa member to see that this country is divided on a scale and level of angst that I dont think has been seen since just before the civil war.

Real leaders unite and find compromises. Crappy ones divide and kill the people that dont agree with them.

Clearly 49% of people arent very happy with the election results, while 51% are. In the past, we grumbled for a day or so and moved on with our lives. That doesnt appear to be the case here.

However, and in the interest of general peace, we're not going to hash that out here and all we're going to see is ill will continue to be created. I would suggest we collectively agree to bag the political discussions and the bush/kerry/liberal/conservative/bible thumper/neanderthal discussions.

As far as I'm concerned the "people" have spoken, at least some of them, the chips lay where they are, and we'll have to see what happens.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 09:29 AM   #146
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

John, welcome back. I was feeling kind of lonely.

Charlie
Old 11-07-2004, 11:41 AM   #147

I'm not in Mensa but it seems pretty clear to me that our liberal educational system has "dumbed down" the electorate so much that they no longer even know which way they're supposed to vote!
Old 11-07-2004, 01:00 PM   #148

Quote:
I'm not in Mensa but it seems pretty clear to me that our liberal educational system has "dumbed down" the electorate so much that they no longer even know which way they're supposed to vote!
If you are a product of this education system, and this is the conclusion that you have come to, I would certainly have to agree with you.

Old 11-07-2004, 07:21 PM   #149
Moderator Emeritus

And that's why, in times like these...

Quote:
Well, cc, the Constitution's framers share your high opinion of the great electorate-- and that's why there's an Electoral College.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 08:26 PM   #150
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
. . .

I think it's time we social liberals start listening to what the right is saying. Sure we don't agree with much of it, but a few things were so important that Iraq, Bush's lies and the economy weren't enough to lose him the election. . .
Hi BMJ,

I appreciate that you spent some time thinking about the election and tried to take away some positive message. I think we all have to do that. I read what you said with interest and tried to make it fit with what happened, but I'm not sure it really does. What is it that you think the right had to say in this election? That they don't want gay marriage? The only voter propositions I am aware of that addressed this issue were placed on the ballots by the right. The left didn't try to change the existing laws. This wasn't a real issue. As the votes on these propositions showed, the ban on gay marriage was not in any peril. Only a small minority of people had any interest in legalizing gay marriage and those people had insignificant political clout.

Yet I know that the Republican Party spent a great deal of money sending out personnal letters to lists of Fundamentalists attempting to scare them into believing that gay couples would move in next door and corrupt their children if they didn't vote against John Kerry. I'm not making this up. I just don't see a message from that situation that should be listened to. The messge I come away with is that we need to find a way to keep elections and campaigning more honest. Truth and honesty were the losers in this election. We should not be subjected to this kind of targeted lies and spin. The general population is not prepared to digest the quantity of adds thrown at them or to research the facts to reach the optimum conclusion (for them).

Anyway, I offer that opinion as an alternative way to interpret what happened and where we need to go.