Join Early Retirement Today

The first of several jobs totalling $50k was completed today...
Old 07-26-2007, 10:08 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The first of several jobs totalling $50k was completed today...

I was told a month ago that I was the front-runner to clean the ducts in several schools in a certain district. The small ones that need to be done this year totaled about $10k, and the ones that need to be done next summer total $40k.

Well, they tested the waters, and apparently liked us! They liked the job so much, I was taken to the next school today as we wrapped up to give my 'final answer' re: price. I originally just gave them a ballpark range for each, and now must provide a formal proposal.

I think the donuts I bought for the custodians, the lunch I bought for the lead HVAC tech, and the muscles I lent to the main janitor (moving some furniture around) helped seal the deal. They all seemed to love us and let it be known.

I'm just excited and had to tell someone. These two jobs this month will be enough to max my roth for they year, add some cash to the reserves, and pay down a pesky credit card. I can't wait!

J

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2007, 09:08 AM   #2

thefed, excellent! Sounds like good business, and a reliable payer, too.

Coach

Old 07-27-2007, 12:03 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Fed,

Congrats! Killing them with kindness and donuts seems like a great sales tactic.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:41 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

As you are learning, relationships are very important. The return customer is the most profitable.

Learn all you can about the District's contracting practices. The better you know what the Facility Manager must work around the easier it will be to be the successful bidder.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:02 PM   #5

Glad it's all working out for you. I remember when you put in your estimate and wondered how it all worked out. Sounds like your business is really moving.
Old 07-29-2007, 11:44 AM   #6

thanks for the positive input!

he has hinted around on the dollar amounts they have to work with before needing multiple bids and such, so i adjusted my most recent bid accordingly...i should hear by wednesday or so if my most recent bid of about 7.5k is accepted. it should take me and one guy 5 days or so
Old 08-01-2007, 02:58 PM   #7

They said GO! I got the 7.5k job...should take me 5 days...

Im pumped...

the 35k job is next on the list!
Old 08-01-2007, 08:54 PM   #8

Glad to hear that things are working out so well in your business for you. It sounds like your business in on the way up!