Join Early Retirement Today
Old 01-19-2016, 05:31 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.
Suggestion: Go around your house, and closets, and garage now - taking lots of photos of how it looks "with" all the stuff.

For those of us who have to spread-out-and-sort before letting go, there is a period of time where it gets way worse before it gets better.

I recently looked through the "before and during" photos on my computer (we've done a lot of de-cluttering) and it was an amazing thing to see. It helps you to realize you are making progress.

When I realized I was keeping some things because of the "memories" they held, taking photos made it easier to let such things go.

And.... I've loved "living lighter" and I hope we will continue to downsize.

Very glad we attacked it at this age and not 20 years from now...

spncity is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

The first of the stuff went out the door....
Old 01-19-2016, 05:41 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.
The first of the stuff went out the door....

Originally Posted by heeyy_joe View Post
Kick the accumulation habit with that new knee!
Just makes it a little harder.. How much can I heft?

Originally Posted by spncity
Living lighter... .
Wow I think it is a necessity.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum.

rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 05:43 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Take another look at Craigslist. I've gotten rid of an insane variety of things by listing them under Free Stuff with my address and putting them at the end of the driveway. No phone calls, no one knocking on your door. Example: two tins of assorted buttons from my late mothers-in-law. I got urgent e-mails from people asking me to hold them so they could pick them up. (Sorry, no-first come, first served.)
I agree. If you don't want money for it, CL is a wonderful way to find someone who wants your stuff. And no interaction is required.

Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
My parents recently downsized and threw out an awful lot of good stuff. I remember the poor garbage man pausing to inspect all this perfectly good stuff before he tossed it in.
I recently had to clear out my Mom's house after she died. While there was a ton of junk, there was also a lot of items that could have brought in some money if anyone had been interested in selling on eBay or Craigslist. Instead we had an auctioneer come haul it all away, and it all got sold for less than $500. This was out in the boonies, so I'm sure a lot of it was "What am I bid for this box of undetermined crap? Sold for a dollar!" If you can't bring it before an interested buyer, it's just junk, no matter what. And it takes a lot of time to hook up with a buyer. It just wasn't worth it to us, and I suspect the same was true for your parents.
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement." - Will Rogers
DW and I - FIREd at 50 (7/06), living off assets
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 03:57 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Really - what is it about cardboard boxes? We have boxes within boxes within boxes stacked all over the garage and in closets. At the ready in case we need to ship or contain something - all different sizes just waiting for the right objects to fill them. In the meantime, month after month, they sit it sullen stacks piled on top of parked cars, looming from cabinet tops, cascading from counters..

DH breaks them down and puts them out with the recycling. We keep a few for sorting.

Paper is our problem-old bills and receipts. When we get a couple of boxes of them DH takes them to a shredding company. They charge about $5/box. You can watch you stuff get shredded too.

Get rid of the boxes!.They are a fire hazard and bugs find their way into them. Yuck!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote