Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-13-2007, 09:27 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 309
1. Becoming friends with my future wife.
2. Being born again.
3. Birth of son & daughter
4. Birth of Granddaughter (she calls me Boppa too.)
5. Becoming FI (future)
__________________

__________________
homestead is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2007, 09:35 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
cute fuzzy bunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Losing my whump
Posts: 22,697
You "boppa" fellas enjoy the moniker. My dad is now and probably forever known as "gunka". One of Gabes first words.
__________________

__________________
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 10:03 PM   #43
Administrator
Gumby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 10,137
This is a great thread. Originally, I thought in terms of the traditional life milestones -- leaving home, getting accepted at and graduating from college and law school, gettting married etc. But then I thought about those days in my life that were simply sublime, the ones that never fade in the memory and make me happy each and every time I think about them. Most were simple activities, although generally in spectacular settings. The following are the most special, in no particular order.

1. A night in August 1983, about 4 am. I was in the Navy, an officer on a submarine. We were on the surface at night and I was the Officer of the Deck, driving the ship from the bridge (at the top of the sail). It was cold, but not uncomfortable. The sea was calm, a near full moon was out. We were just entering the Pacific reaches of the Straits of Magellan, at the southern tip of South America. It was just me and one lookout up in the sail. As we steamed along, our wake was phosphorescent green with the churned up krill and phytoplankton. Suddenly, we spotted two new bright green trails in the water, approaching the boat. As the trails drew near, we could see they were dolphins, who came up alongside the bow and jumped and played next to us. It struck me at that moment how beautiful life is.

2. A day in late January 1985. On a drive cross country, the young wife and I went to the Grand Canyon. The sun was shining brightly and the sky was almost painfully blue, but it was 30 degrees below zero and the snow was piled over six feet deep by the side of the road. As a consequence, we were the ONLY people at the South Kaibab station. We walked out to the edge of the canyon. I had seen the pictures of course, but I was utterly unprepared for the sight that greeted us. It quite literally took my breath away. We stood for a long time, just staring at the beauty, which seemed like it had been created just for the two of us.

3. A morning in 2005. The young wife and I went to Macchu Picchu in Peru. She was not feeling well, so I got up early and went to walk alone through the ruins as the sun rose. It was truly spectacular, with the greens of the jungle, the grey of the stones and the sharp morning shadows. As I was walking, I came across a young American couple. The young fellow asked me to take their picture with the ruins in the background. He showed me how to work their camera and I got prepared. As I was standing there, he whipped a ring out of his pocket and proposed to the young woman. She said yes, hugged him and cried. As I took their picture, I felt blessed to be there to see love flourish and a new family begin.

4. A morning in February 1973 - I was in the 8th grade. We lived in Middletown, Rhode Island. My mother let us stay home from school that day, because we heard the POW's from Vietnam were coming home. My dad, who was in the Navy, had been in Vietnam several times in the late 60's, and we had all been wearing bracelets with the names of POW's for several years. Mine had the name of Captain Jeremiah Denton. As we watched the TV, we saw pictures of a big Air Force plane setting down at Hickam Air Force base in Hawaii (I think, although it might have been Clark in the Phillipines). We watched as the door opened and the men came down the steps. They shook hands and saluted, and then their familes came runnning across the tarmac. Everyone in my house was crying to see these men who had suffered so long finally return home.

5. An afternoon in July 1969 -- I was 10 years old and we lived in Hawaii. Apollo 11 was about to land on the moon. We were at the neighbor's house, watching the TV intently and listening to the transmissions between Mission Control and the spacecraft. It seemed like endless reports of "two and a half down, thirty feet" punctuated by beeps. Finally, we heard the words "Houston, Tranquility Base here, the Eagle has landed." The whole room erupted in cheers and everyone ran outside, jumping up and down and cheering. I remember looking up and down the street and the same thing was happening in every house on the block -- people were going crazy on their front lawns. At that moment, I was so proud of this country. I believed that anything was possible and that the future was bright indeed.

That is my list.

Gumby
__________________
Living an analog life in the Digital Age.
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 10:24 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
FinanceDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 12,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
My friend, someone needs to give you a real beer . . .

Try Duvel..........
__________________
Consult with your own advisor or representative. My thoughts should not be construed as investment advice. Past performance is no guarantee of future results (love that one).......:)


This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 11:27 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
bbbamI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Dallas 'burb
Posts: 9,039
1. Seeing the pride in my parents eyes when I graduated from high school. High school might not be a big deal for most, but neither parent finished 12 years because they had to work.

2. Saying "yes I will marry you" to a long haired boy over 30 years ago.

3. Buying our first house.

4. Standing on the Golden Gate Bridge, feeling so proud and wanting to protect it.

5. Tears welling up in my eyes when I see the flag or hear the National anthem.
__________________
There's no need to complicate, our time is short..
bbbamI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 12:26 AM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
This is a great thread. Originally, I thought in terms of the traditional life milestones -- leaving home, getting accepted at and graduating from college and law school, gettting married etc. But then I thought about those days in my life that were simply sublime, the ones that never fade in the memory and make me happy each and every time I think about them. Most were simple activities, although generally in spectacular settings. The following are the most special, in no particular order.

1. A night in August 1983, about 4 am. I was in the Navy, an officer on a submarine. We were on the surface at night and I was the Officer of the Deck, driving the ship from the bridge (at the top of the sail). It was cold, but not uncomfortable. The sea was calm, a near full moon was out. We were just entering the Pacific reaches of the Straits of Magellan, at the southern tip of South America. It was just me and one lookout up in the sail. As we steamed along, our wake was phosphorescent green with the churned up krill and phytoplankton. Suddenly, we spotted two new bright green trails in the water, approaching the boat. As the trails drew near, we could see they were dolphins, who came up alongside the bow and jumped and played next to us. It struck me at that moment how beautiful life is.

2. A day in late January 1985. On a drive cross country, the young wife and I went to the Grand Canyon. The sun was shining brightly and the sky was almost painfully blue, but it was 30 degrees below zero and the snow was piled over six feet deep by the side of the road. As a consequence, we were the ONLY people at the South Kaibab station. We walked out to the edge of the canyon. I had seen the pictures of course, but I was utterly unprepared for the sight that greeted us. It quite literally took my breath away. We stood for a long time, just staring at the beauty, which seemed like it had been created just for the two of us.

3. A morning in 2005. The young wife and I went to Macchu Picchu in Peru. She was not feeling well, so I got up early and went to walk alone through the ruins as the sun rose. It was truly spectacular, with the greens of the jungle, the grey of the stones and the sharp morning shadows. As I was walking, I came across a young American couple. The young fellow asked me to take their picture with the ruins in the background. He showed me how to work their camera and I got prepared. As I was standing there, he whipped a ring out of his pocket and proposed to the young woman. She said yes, hugged him and cried. As I took their picture, I felt blessed to be there to see love flourish and a new family begin.

4. A morning in February 1973 - I was in the 8th grade. We lived in Middletown, Rhode Island. My mother let us stay home from school that day, because we heard the POW's from Vietnam were coming home. My dad, who was in the Navy, had been in Vietnam several times in the late 60's, and we had all been wearing bracelets with the names of POW's for several years. Mine had the name of Captain Jeremiah Denton. As we watched the TV, we saw pictures of a big Air Force plane setting down at Hickam Air Force base in Hawaii (I think, although it might have been Clark in the Phillipines). We watched as the door opened and the men came down the steps. They shook hands and saluted, and then their familes came runnning across the tarmac. Everyone in my house was crying to see these men who had suffered so long finally return home.

5. An afternoon in July 1969 -- I was 10 years old and we lived in Hawaii. Apollo 11 was about to land on the moon. We were at the neighbor's house, watching the TV intently and listening to the transmissions between Mission Control and the spacecraft. It seemed like endless reports of "two and a half down, thirty feet" punctuated by beeps. Finally, we heard the words "Houston, Tranquility Base here, the Eagle has landed." The whole room erupted in cheers and everyone ran outside, jumping up and down and cheering. I remember looking up and down the street and the same thing was happening in every house on the block -- people were going crazy on their front lawns. At that moment, I was so proud of this country. I believed that anything was possible and that the future was bright indeed.

That is my list.

Gumby
I read the entire thread, Gumby, and you've got the best list.
__________________
Niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 05:33 PM   #47
Dryer sheet aficionado
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by homestead View Post
1. Becoming friends with my future wife.
2. Being born again.
3. Birth of son & daughter
4. Birth of Granddaughter (she calls me Boppa too.)
5. Becoming FI (future)
I love how you say 'becoming friends with'. Flirting is often so much better than the actual relationship. (I am not saying a relationship can't be amazing.)

My 5 best moments:
- Hearing for the first time somebody thinks you are his (at that time girls were the enemy) best friend. ('wow, out of all those people!')
- Hearing for the first time somebody is in love with you ('wow, she loves me!')
- Hearing for the first time you have highest distinction ('wow, they think I am that smart?')
- Hearing for the first time an elite firm wants to offer you a position ('wow, am I supposed to be one of the best and the brightest?')
- Reaching 10K in investments. I did this 2 years ago at age 19 and it was a milestone to me.
__________________
pj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 05:42 PM   #48
Dryer sheet aficionado
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Try Duvel..........
You. Have. Taste.
__________________
pj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 11:46 PM   #49
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
FinanceDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 12,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj86 View Post
You. Have. Taste.
__________________
Consult with your own advisor or representative. My thoughts should not be construed as investment advice. Past performance is no guarantee of future results (love that one).......:)


This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 08:22 AM   #50
Full time employment: Posting here.
citrine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 944
1) Coming to the US in 1985 (I was 10) for vacation and staying. I wonder how my life would have been if I had stayed in India....probably married with kids, being dependent on my husband for everything.

2) The day I picked up my college diploma, gave it to my parents, and moved out of their house to pursue my freedom.

3) November 24, 2003--My sobriety date...I realized that if I don't change and quit drinking and doing drugs that I would die....I made a committment to myself and recovery.

4) January 5, 2007--When I held Micro (my first pet) in my arms as the vet gave him the injection and feeling his life leave his body....the hardest decision I have had to make in my life. The most critical moment in my sobriety as I learned how to walk through that, rather than escape from it.

5) The day I knew in my bones and the core of my being that I was put on this earth to be an artist.
__________________
citrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 08:33 AM   #51
Moderator Emeritus
Rich_by_the_Bay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 8,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by citrine View Post
1) Coming to the US in 1985 (I was 10) for vacation and staying. I wonder how my life would have been if I had stayed in India....probably married with kids, being dependent on my husband for everything.

2) The day I picked up my college diploma, gave it to my parents, and moved out of their house to pursue my freedom.

3) November 24, 2003--My sobriety date...I realized that if I don't change and quit drinking and doing drugs that I would die....I made a committment to myself and recovery.

4) January 5, 2007--When I held Micro (my first pet) in my arms as the vet gave him the injection and feeling his life leave his body....the hardest decision I have had to make in my life. The most critical moment in my sobriety as I learned how to walk through that, rather than escape from it.

5) The day I knew in my bones and the core of my being that I was put on this earth to be an artist.
Wow. Thanks.
__________________
Rich
San Francisco Area
ESR'd March 2010. FIRE'd January 2011.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 10:23 AM   #52
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Helen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Portland
Posts: 1,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
On a lark I quit my job, sold my stuff, and got in my car with a few boxes of stuff and about $20k I'd saved. Drove cross country to california to hang out with an old ladyfriend who was going to school in the SF area.
Will, is that you ? That's just like the ending in the movie, "Good Will Hunting".
__________________
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 10:55 AM   #53
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
cute fuzzy bunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Losing my whump
Posts: 22,697
Isnt that funny? I never saw that movie. I had it on the tivo for a while and I think I even own the DVD, purchased in some bulk load years ago.

Guess I'll have to go watch it now...
__________________
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 11:07 AM   #54
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Helen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Portland
Posts: 1,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Isnt that funny? I never saw that movie. I had it on the tivo for a while and I think I even own the DVD, purchased in some bulk load years ago.

Guess I'll have to go watch it now...
Oh crap. Sorry, I didn't mean to ruin the end of the movie for you. Let us know what you think of the movie.
__________________
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 11:25 AM   #55
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
cute fuzzy bunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Losing my whump
Posts: 22,697
No, its ok. You spurred me to read the whole plot line. Several eerie similarities. Now I have to see it...

I even met Robin Williams once. I was doing a conference in NY and had one of those big doofy "My name is..." badges on. Walked out of the building with a couple of other guys and here comes RW walking up the sidewalk. Of course I'm gawking and thinking "is that...?" when he steps briskly up to me, starts shaking my hand and says "Oh my god! Its xxx (my name, read from my name tag)!!! I'm your biggest fan!!! I cant believe its actually YOU! Holy crap I'm excited!!!". Chuckles and claps me on the arm a couple of times and continues on down the sidewalk.

I later used the same gag in reverse when I ran into Steve Young at the San Jose Jet Center while I was waiting for the company jet. He was still playing for the 49ers at the time. He walked in, I was looking at him thinking "that looks like..." and he noticed me staring and started to look a little uncomfortable. So I walked up and said "I know what you're thinking...is that xxx?!? Well it is!!" and started shaking his hand. He laughed and relaxed and we chatted for a while. Really nice guy. Only thing that had me befuddled for a while was that he was kind of small. Later I looked up his stats, he's only about 6' and 190lbs.

Those two meetings are pretty amazing moments. Not top 5 material but...
__________________
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 11:26 AM   #56
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
HFWR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lawn chair in Texas
Posts: 12,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Getting past a fairly miserable first 23 years of life, and getting off a set of rails that would have ended with being a nonperson in a nonlife. Homelessness, suicides, abuses, severe illnesses, disconnected family members...its all in there. I was in debt, substance addicted, had a bad crowd of friends, and was likely to either land in jail or be persistently unemployed. I pulled myself up by the bootstraps, quit the bad stuff and bad people, got a couple of extra jobs, dug myself out of debt, got my career straightened out, and went from there. I remember the day I decided to change everything, and that was a very defining moment. I spent some time in the last few months digging up all the people I hung out with back then. Dead, jailed, overweight functional alcoholics, stagnant lives, single room apartments, smatterings of children and spouses. But i'm not one of them and I easily could ... have been.
1. Ditto... (except the age was 27)
2. Summer, 1966 - last year of Little League. Played the best baseball of my life that year.
3. 1972 - last year of high school. Became more focused, got better grades, had good friends/good times, GRADUATED!!
4. Separation/divorce in 1986; last remaining remnant of past life (see #1).
5. Received associate degree and got a REAL job for REAL money...
__________________
Have Funds, Will Retire

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 10:25 PM   #57
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,072
Wow - these are great - I'll add my meager list - it's a combination of achievements and moments where I understood myself and life better:

1) 1994 - I've written about this before - I had to do my long cross-country for my pilot's license - I had flown from Ryan Airfied in Tucson to Blythe, CA. Along the way, I had noticed some thunderheads building - I decided not to fly back that day but wait until the next morning - now this was also the last day I saw my first husband - we were divorced and he had come out to pick up his 'stuff.' It is very hard to fly when one is emotionally upset. However, the best part was when I took off the next morning early - the air was beautiful, I spiraled up and got to altitude and had one of my most memorable flights ever - the thrill of being in the pilot's seat, flying the plane and the views were phenomenal. The ultimate in independence.

2) 2000 - I spent a night mentally working through emotional pain of a serious and final break-up from my fiance at the time. I had never known that emotional pain could physically hurt - I also allowed myself to visualize being alone the rest of my life - after that night I had a profound sense of peace. I would be just fine and life would be just fine if I did not have a 'partner.' From there my life changed dramatically.

3) 2004 - the day I married my now husband and partner

4) 1989 - when I received an acceptance letter by Johns Hopkins for my master's degree...and turned them down for, in retrospect, the best program for what I'm doing now in my career - I didn't pay a penny for any of my education but I still proved to myself that I am 'capable' of being accepted by a big name school....vestiges of issues from high school and undergrad experience

5) Bonus - having had the opportunity to have a 'real' relationship with all of my grandparents - I am the only grandchild to have had that (they are all dead now). Both my parents thought it important for me to have that and by not taking sides in at times difficult family fueds, I was able to benefit from their collective wisdom
__________________

__________________
Deserat aka Bridget
“We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.” - George Orwell/Winston Churchill
deserat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fed employee life insurance ats5g FIRE and Money 2 10-10-2006 11:44 PM
What to do when you can't get life insurance? LRAO FIRE and Money 8 09-21-2006 11:10 AM
term life recommendations Rich_by_the_Bay FIRE and Money 9 08-24-2006 09:50 AM
Life insurance change ferco Other topics 6 02-14-2006 12:09 PM
What to do with Met Life Ins. Policy Adventuregirl FIRE and Money 6 02-04-2006 06:50 AM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:40 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.