The five spice challenge

tuixiu

Full time employment: Posting here.
Probably of interest only to those who like to cook. Friend and I were talking about this, it led to a surprisingly rich debate and difficult decisions.

Using standard improbable "stranded on an island" scenario but you have a real kitchen and can order as much of any kind of fruits/veggies/meats/breads/etc. as you want but you're limited to only five spices in your cupboard, what do you pick.

Final ruleset also ended up including:

1. You automatically get basic table salt and black pepper, pick five beyond that.
2. No blends, so nothing like Lawrys Seasoned Salt as a workable catch-all.
3. Fresh versions of spices count, so no picking five then ordering fresh oregeno or garlic as a food item.
4. Liquids count as spices, so things that season like fish sauce would be one of the five.

Think about it, not so easy.

Probably of interest only to those who like to cook. Friend and I were talking about this, it led to a surprisingly rich debate and difficult decisions.

Using standard improbable "stranded on an island" scenario but you have a real kitchen and can order as much of any kind of fruits/veggies/meats/breads/etc. as you want but you're limited to only five spices in your cupboard, what do you pick.

Final ruleset also ended up including:

1. You automatically get basic table salt and black pepper, pick five beyond that.
2. No blends, so nothing like Lawrys Seasoned Salt as a workable catch-all.
3. Fresh versions of spices count, so no picking five then ordering fresh oregeno or garlic as a food item.
4. Liquids count as spices, so things that season like fish sauce would be one of the five.

Think about it, not so easy.
garlic
onion
thyme
oregano
cumin

I assume we can't have chiles either, so food will be mild but shuold be well seasoned.

Ha

1. Soy Sauce/Tamari (preferably Tamari)
2. Ginger
3. Pimenton
4. Rosemary
5. Thyme

Tough decisions: Parsley, Oregano, Tarragon, Onions, Garlic, Sake/Sherry

I will have to think about this, however, onion is a vegitable, and in our house so is garlic. Both of these can be eaten by themselves.

Onions are very definitely a vegetable; they provide considerable nutrition as well as flavor. You may as well say "green pepper is a spice" as say "onion is a spice." Not sure about the status of garlic.

1. Cinnamon!! I could not exist without it. I can't believe no one else wants cinnamon.
2. Vanilla! Another vital flavoring in the Amethyst household.
3. Basil
4. Garlic (until it is proven to be a vegetable, not a spice)
5. Thyme
6. (if garlic counts as a vegetable) Either Cumin or Fennel

Now I am starting to feel hungry.

Amethyst

cinnamon
basil
rosemary
balsamic vinegar
garlic

I presume those are Basil, Chervil, and, er...Nutmeg? Or Cumin? :LOL: >:D

1. garlic
2. basil
3. oregano
4. cayenne, and
5. arsenic to take when I realize how DULL food would be with only five available spices. :LOL:

Garlic and onions are definitely veggies so...

Cardamon
Oregano
Red pepper flakes
cumin
calvados

1. garlic
2. basil
3. oregano
4. cayenne, and
5. arsenic to take when I realize how DULL food would be with only five available spices. :LOL:

No need for drastic measures. There can't be that many islands, so some of us surely will find each other and pool our Herbs and spices :ROFLMAO::LOL::angel::blush:

IMO garlic and onion are vegetables. They are as ubiquitous in our home as salt and pepper.

Cinnamon (our home can't survive without)
Pimenton
Rosemary
Thyme
Oregano

Audrey

:D Perfect.

Whenever I use a portapotty I long for some sort of arsenic dispenser in case meddling kids tip it over.

No need for drastic measures. There can't be that many islands, so some of us surely will find each other and pool our Herbs and spices :ROFLMAO::LOL::angel::blush:

Well in that case, I just hope that the person on the nearest island at least has rosemary, cinnamon, and dill, and hopefully also has nutmeg, and thyme! :D

Curry
Garlic
Basil
Oregano
Soy Sauce

Surprised no one else mentioned curry. I love it! No only in curry dishes, but a pinch in many dishes like potato or chicken salad is yummy.

So... what was the 5-spice solution found during this "rich debate"?

Attachments

• Spice.jpg
    Spice.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 0
Back
Top Bottom