Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-04-2015, 03:19 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

+2 on landline.. Say goodbye to robocalls and political calls

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2015, 03:29 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

When the landline rings, and the electronic butler starts his spiel, the butler rarely gets too far before the caller hangs up. Meanwhile, the fastest feet in the house are already standing at the phone, and someone is yelling, "It's Mr. Unknown!" or "It's Mrs. Unavailable!" or "Hey, it's the people from Some Weird Area Code in Texas!"

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 04:33 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
You all might like this. Yesterday, an Edward Jones guy came to door, so I was friendly and invited him in. He was under 25 years old and essentially knew nothing, yet was out doing the door-to-door selling that EJ employees have to do. I was very polite (didn't give him cookies though) and told him that Edward Jones was one of the worst companies to work for and that EJ basically steals money from clients. I told him that if it was in my power that I would put EJ out of business. I told him that he should find a better company to work for and a better career. I asked him about his wife who was a teacher and her retirement plan. I offered advice on what she should be doing.

He was ghost white when I let him out the door.
He probably went through indoctrination, er training and may have smelled something funny. You did the young man a favor, it may take a while, maybe never, but you raised doubt in his mind.

A buddy of mine was telling me of his newly graduated son. Started working, training really, at a well known life insurance company. DS was practicing his pitch on my buddy and explained this investment paid 5% a month, he looked at his DS and explained the difference between a month and a year.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 04:40 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
...Some Weird Area Code in Texas!"

Amethyst

You're gonna have to be more specific...

Sent from my iCouch using Early Retirement Forum

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 06:04 PM   #45

If I'm at the computer when I get an unknown call (most of my calls are unknown calls ) I google the number and usually up pops an explanation from one of many sites that track these numbers with info on it.

People in my contacts list are identified and I'll usually answer

Occasionally it's a local company I'm currently dealing with - they'll leave a message for me if it's important.

The only exception to this is doctors offices. For some reason, they don't leave message and I get pretty annoyed with them because of that.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 06:18 PM   #46

Quote:
The only exception to this is doctors offices. For some reason, they don't leave message and I get pretty annoyed with them because of that.
There are some legal restrictions on the kinds of messages doctors can leave if they might be picked up by someone other than the patient. Many doctor's offices no longer want to analyze the content of each message for legality, so they just plan to call back as many times as it takes.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 12:52 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

The phone screen says "Texas." Isn't that specific enough for anybody?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
You're gonna have to be more specific...

Sent from my iCouch using Early Retirement Forum
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 01:37 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by growing_older View Post
There are some legal restrictions on the kinds of messages doctors can leave if they might be picked up by someone other than the patient.
That's it. Here medical offices will leave a message confirming an appointment but for anything else it has to be a live person.
Old 02-05-2015, 01:59 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
That's it. Here medical offices will leave a message confirming an appointment but for anything else it has to be a live person.
I had to opt in to even get text reminders.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 02:01 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

You folks are hard core. If someone believes their brand of religion enough to go out and proselytize I figure it takes very little effort to wish them well in their endeavors and goodbye. Door-to-door pitchmen have a tough way to make a living, so I normally tell them I don't want to waste their time, shake their hand and let them get on to the next door. Can't think of a time I ever had to raise my voice or tell someone to GTFO who was trying to pitch me something.

Sure am tired of your daughter Rachel with Card Services though.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 02:13 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Sure am tired of your daughter Rachel with Card Services though.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 03:00 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
You folks are hard core. If someone believes their brand of religion enough to go out and proselytize I figure it takes very little effort to wish them well in their endeavors and goodbye. Door-to-door pitchmen have a tough way to make a living, so I normally tell them I don't want to waste their time, shake their hand and let them get on to the next door. Can't think of a time I ever had to raise my voice or tell someone to GTFO who was trying to pitch me something.
This is me, too.
I get several visits a year from that type, and I always tell them right away that they would be wasting their time since I'm a devout agnostic. The usually gets a raised eyebrow and puzzled look, but they have almost always taken the hint and left.

Once I had two young men try to be persistent, so I offered them a deal: "I'll spend half an hour listening to you and answering your questions if you first spend half an hour listening to me and answering my questions." That worked, and they decided pickings would be slim at my house.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 08:47 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

The funny (or not so funny) thing about door-to-door anything (sales, religion, can I fix your roof, etc) is that these people are trespassing on private property. Mine, yours.

What gives them the right to do that ? No law that I am aware of.
My home is not public domain.

The last time I checked my rights, only persons that I have invited can enter my private property. There was one heck of a tea party in a harbor and more revolution in the mid 1770s against that kind of nonsense.

Public domain is public domain. Public domain businesses display NO SOLICITING signs as a matter of course. Do we private homeowners have to do same ? HELL NO.

So why do these people invade private property ? Maybe there are too many nice grandmas (grandpas) out there.
Old 02-05-2015, 08:52 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Are you sure that someone is not allowed to walk up to your front door and knock? Why else do builders build sidewalks up from the street?
Old 02-05-2015, 09:01 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Are you sure that someone is not allowed to walk up to your front door and knock? Why else do builders build sidewalks up from the street?
The postman, police, and town w*rkers ALL have to ask permission to enter private property, UNLESS they are summoned in an emergency or given express permission. Only the fire department is exempt if there are flames.

I had to ask this very question when my husband passed over a decade ago, because I was besieged with all sorts of uninvited people on my private property.

In an urban setting, yes, the sidewalk is public. I live in the country. Except for the first 20 feet next to the road, get off my lawn.
Old 02-05-2015, 10:08 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
The funny (or not so funny) thing about door-to-door anything (sales, religion, can I fix your roof, etc) is that these people are trespassing on private property. Mine, yours.

What gives them the right to do that ? No law that I am aware of.
My home is not public domain.

The last time I checked my rights, only persons that I have invited can enter my private property. There was one heck of a tea party in a harbor and more revolution in the mid 1770s against that kind of nonsense.

Public domain is public domain. Public domain businesses display NO SOLICITING signs as a matter of course. Do we private homeowners have to do same ? HELL NO.

So why do these people invade private property ? Maybe there are too many nice grandmas (grandpas) out there.
This sums up perfectly how I feel about it. I live in a semi-rural area - no sidewalks around here. A few years ago I did post a notice on my front door, specifically addressed to the religious nutters, stating that if they spent more than 30 seconds on my front porch, or if they knocked on my door, I would call the police. Never had another problem with them.

Sometimes when I am at work they leave a flyer, but if my car is in the driveway, they keep on moving. Last time I checked, I pay the mortgage here, and I set the rules about who is welcome and who isn't.

Not to mention the fact that these days I would be out of my mind to open the door to someone (or a pair of someones) I don't know. Why on earth would I risk that?
Calico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 10:09 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
The postman, police, and town w*rkers ALL have to ask permission to enter private property, UNLESS they are summoned in an emergency or given express permission. Only the fire department is exempt if there are flames.

I had to ask this very question when my husband passed over a decade ago, because I was besieged with all sorts of uninvited people on my private property.

In an urban setting, yes, the sidewalk is public. I live in the country. Except for the first 20 feet next to the road, get off my lawn.
I can just imagine the swat team asking permission to come in and shoot you!
Old 02-05-2015, 10:10 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

What a bunch of Fred Friendlies!
Old 02-05-2015, 10:24 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

My MIL has realized she has the "friendly grandma" syndrome, and at least she has enlisted DW and I as her sanity checks to run things by. She is in Florida where it seems many folks prey on older people, if they come to her door she'll them that DW has to approve any decisions and will even start calling. 99% of them leave before she completes the call, and the other 1% slink away after taking with DW (who is definitely a no-nonsense person) or me.

For me personally it is not going to be an issue. I've always been a little cynical and slow to trust folks. While the downside is I may have missed out on many dates from women waiting for me to ask them out , the positive side is the ease with which I (politely) can turn things away. I chuckle at the "fear/status symbol" tactics they try ("don't you want to be rich?" "don't you want your house to look as nice/nicer than others?") since I never cared about those things.

For phone calls I have software that answers numbers/IDs not recognized and plays a recording of my choice. Usually I just use the phone company's "this number has been disconnected or no longer in service" tone and message. But I'll admit I like to have fun and have a recording that answers "Hello (long pause) Hello? (long pause) I can't hear you, can you speak up? (long pause) HELLO?? (long pause)" and repeats. It is funny to hear how long some folks try to interact with it.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:31 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I can just imagine the swat team asking permission to come in and shoot you!

Good one.

I actually had an experience with something less sinister. I awoke to a very bright light shining in my bedroom about 2 weeks after my husband passed. My sleep had been very disrupted, and I hadn't answered the phone in a few days so I could rest. A high school friend who lived long distance (NJ) got so worried about me that she called the police.
The bright light belonged to 2 sherriff deputies who had been dispatched to check on my safety. I assured them I was fine. They were very nice and said they would come back every few days if I wanted. I declined but it was good to know I had their contact info directly if there were any problems.