Join Early Retirement Today

The Future of Geek
Old 12-04-2012, 02:49 PM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

The Future of Geek

Watched a short show on Bloomberg that covered the future of digital communications. It blew me away. Things that we can't even imagine.

Before it gets too far ahead, now is the time to get caught up with the technology that's already at our fingertips. Would like to see some of the practical stuff that's already here, and learn about newer things that are coming in.

Instead of listing a whole bunch of new programs that no one will take time to research, perhaps we could share some of the new technology one post at a time.
My first nomination is for Google "QSView" Quick Street View.

Try this out by going to the website below, and type in an address... maybe where you grew up... Or... type in the name of a Place .. like Seattle Space Needle...

Watch the search box as you are typing, and see how fast Google can predict what you're looking for.

QSView - Instant Google Street View
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2012, 03:10 PM   #2
Gone but not forgotten

Another remarkable program.
Let's start here:

You know who this is, right? Not sure?
1. Copy/Paste the pic to your desktop.

2. Go here:
Google Images

3. Resize the window, and drag the image from your desktop to the image search box.

Aha!... You knew who it was in the beginning, eh?

You can do this with any picture...like a plate of spaghetti or the image of a breed of dog... You might try a picture of yourself, or your avatar, and see what comes up... You might even find a long lost twin, separated at birth.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:28 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I went to a lecture by Ray Kurzweill last week. He is definitely out there on the futurist geekdom spectrum. I didn't realize until he mentioned it that when you query Siri (iPhone) about factual matters it will often pass off the query to wolfram alpha (which incorporates Mathmatica) for a straight factual response rather than returning a set of links from a web search. E.g. ask "What is the GDP of Monaco" to Siri (or Wolfram Alpha) and you will get a direct answer: $6.919 billion per year.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:06 PM   #4
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I went to a lecture by Ray Kurzweill last week. He is definitely out there on the futurist geekdom spectrum. I didn't realize until he mentioned it that when you query Siri (iPhone) about factual matters it will often pass off the query to wolfram alpha (which incorporates Mathmatica) for a straight factual response rather than returning a set of links from a web search. E.g. ask "What is the GDP of Monaco" to Siri (or Wolfram Alpha) and you will get a direct answer: $6.919 billion per year.
Oh yeah!! I remember this from a long time ago, probably when it first came out, maybe 10 or 12 years ago... I played with the site a bit, but couldn't make much sense of it back then... mostly math. So I just tried it out using your link, and asked... "Age of the pyramids?"... 2 seconds... answer Pyramid of Ghiza 4581 years. Have added it to favorites. Since I like to look at comparative statistics, this will be great!. Thanks.

Re: Kurzwell... the lecture must have been fun... I've been looking for his "singularity" movie... Got into a heated online discussion about singularity in another forum on the subject. Think we better stay away from it here...

Can't find the Bloomberg video, but it really did have my head spinning. The vision of the future was almost ethereal.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:15 PM   #5
Gone but not forgotten

just found a video that covered part of the discussion.

Hyper-Speed: How Google Fiber May Change Everything: Video - Bloomberg
Old 12-05-2012, 04:07 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It would be nice to use something like this for the identification of specific skin conditions (i.e. rashes) or matching pictures of carcinomas before having to take biospies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Another remarkable program.

You can do this with any picture...like a plate of spaghetti or the image of a breed of dog... You might try a picture of yourself, or your avatar, and see what comes up... You might even find a long lost twin, separated at birth.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:45 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
It would be nice to use something like this for the identification of specific skin conditions (i.e. rashes) or matching pictures of carcinomas before having to take biospies.
Already in the works:

An iPhone App for Skin Cancer Diagnosis - Lindsay Abrams - The Atlantic

HOLY MOLEY: This iPhone App Scans Skin For Melanoma - Business Insider
Old 12-05-2012, 06:28 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

There is also a new iPhone EEG app just released. Start feeling atrial fib symptoms while exercising - send the EEG to your doctor for real time analysis. Only available to doctors now but soon coming to you...
Old 12-05-2012, 11:55 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
A local startup is already processing optical microscope imagery to produce synthetic 3D images for automated screening of Pap smears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
There is also a new iPhone EEG app just released. Start feeling atrial fib symptoms while exercising - send the EEG to your doctor for real time analysis. Only available to doctors now but soon coming to you...
Hmmm-- I wonder how many megajoules an iPhone battery could impart to a pacemaker regulator...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:02 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Remote surgery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia -- surgery done by surgeons on diferent continents than the patients is blowing me away.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:22 PM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I do like these medical applications. Thanks for sharing, everyone.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:17 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyro View Post
Remote surgery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia -- surgery done by surgeons on diferent continents than the patients is blowing me away.
What impresses me most of all is the faith that the patients have in the system bandwidth.

What happens to the patient during the operation if the monitor freezes, then goes blank, and then displays "PLEASE STAND BY"...?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:12 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
What impresses me most of all is the faith that the patients have in the system bandwidth.

What happens to the patient during the operation if the monitor freezes, then goes blank, and then displays "PLEASE STAND BY"...?
Reminds me of the Bill Cosby bit about his vasectomy. You never want to hear the doctor say "oooopps!"

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:14 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

And another thing. When it comes to all this new technology, I'm always tempted to say "See my tag line, please."

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:35 AM   #15

Quote:

That could give a whole new meaning to the expression "Blue Screen Of Death."
Old 12-06-2012, 08:44 AM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

Quote:
...there is still the need for an anesthesiologist and a backup surgeon to be present in case there is a disruption of communications or a malfunction in the robot. Nevertheless, Operation Lindbergh proved that the technology exists today to enable delivery of expert care to remote areas of the globe.

See also
Remote surgery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Hey, I recall having to read Waldo for a HS English class! Don't remember the story, but I remember having to read it. Hmmm...

Tyro