Join Early Retirement Today

Re: The God Delusion
Old 09-25-2006, 08:28 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thanks for the link to the Pastafarians - very humorous. I liked the Pastafarian belief that Global Warming is a direct result of the worldwide reduction in the number of Pirates on the Earth:

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2006, 08:32 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
You might like this.

http://whydoesgodhateamputees.com/
LOL.* A guy named "Lazarus" links us to an argument against God's existence?*

I really do LOVE this Forum.* *

Old 09-25-2006, 08:50 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas
Global Warming is a direct result of the worldwide reduction in the number of Pirates on the Earth
Arrrrr!
Old 09-25-2006, 09:09 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

There is a lot more than 17 pirates. Go to SE Asia.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:22 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmpi
There is a lot more than 17 pirates. Go to SE Asia.
It's tongue in cheek, like much of what the Pastafarians "believe".

Quote:
According to the Pastafarian belief system, pirates are "absolute divine beings" and the original Pastafarians. Their image as "thieves and outcasts" is all misinformation spread by Christian theologians of the Middle Ages. In reality, Pastafarianism says that they were "peace-loving explorers and spreaders of good will" who would distribute candy to children.

The inclusion of pirates into Flying Spaghetti Monsterism was part of Henderson's original letter to the Kansas School Board, as a way of illustrating that correlation does not equal causation. In it, Henderson puts forth the argument that "global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters are a direct effect of the shrinking numbers of pirates since the 1800s."[3] A chart accompanying the letter shows that as the number of pirates decreased, global temperatures increased, bringing attention to the fact that things with statistically significant correlations are nevertheless not necessarily related.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:23 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm reading The End of Faith by Sam Harris right now. The book is not about creationism vs ID nor does Harris spend much time making the intellectual case against religion/belief in God--he takes these as a given and just mentions these well worn points in passing. His main theme is that, in the present age, belief in God and religion is not a harmless personal issue, but has important implications for the safety and stability of society. The easy part of his argument to accept is that radical religionists (generaly Islamic, but violent Christians and those of other religions, too) need to be recognized for the irrational actors they are and should be put away. On a more controversial note, he rejects the acceptance of moderate (i.e. nonviolent) religion by our society, claiming this just facilitates the radical Islamists and Christians. Harris makes the case that the radical, violent Islamists, Jews, and Christians are actually living and behaving in ways more true to the real text of their holy scriptures than do moderates.

I'm only about 1/3 of the way through, but I'm finding it a good, intersting read, though he's a little repetitious for me. I don't buy it all, but he makes many good points.

If you are concerned about Islamic violence, you'll find the book interesting. If you are concerned that a leader charged with guiding a nation and using awesome military power also believes God speaks to people directly, you'll find the book interesting.

Oh, and regarding FSM and Pastafarianism-- "Be touched by his noodly appendage"
Old 09-25-2006, 09:34 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Observe my avatar in Greaney's board.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 10:49 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

"Harris makes the case that the radical, violent Islamists, Jews, and Christians are actually living and behaving in ways more true to the real text of their holy scriptures than do moderates. "

Ok - I just wanna go on the record as saying that the above statement is ridiculous.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:03 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginia
"Harris makes the case that the radical, violent Islamists, Jews, and Christians are actually living and behaving in ways more true to the real text of their holy scriptures than do moderates. "

Ok - I just wanna go on the record as saying that the above statement is ridiculous.
I recently finished reading "Stealing Jesus" (Bawer) which makes a very good case that true Christianity is a radically liberal religion, not the parody created by so called fundamentalists.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:13 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginia

Well, I've got no personal experiance with the Torah. The exhortations to violence in both the Bible and the Koran are numerous, as are calls for nonviolence. In fact, some cite these internal inconsistencies as major impediments to using these writings as a guide to appropriate behavior. Others pick and choose the passages they want to use. Harris believes modern moderate Christian religions do this--accepting the "love thy neighbor" parts while leaving out or interpreting as metaphors the specific direction to kill your children, stone your neighbors/children, instructions on the appropriate degree to which slaves may be beaten, etc (and never specificaly proscribing slavery, etc). Harris argues that every step back from the violence called for by the texts has resulted from growing societal enlightenment, not from a more authentic interpetation of the books themselves.

Anyway I just wanted to put the info out there as Harris presents it, folks can make up their own minds.

Old 09-26-2006, 09:20 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
If Jesus Christ himself returned to the United States and began living the life that is described in the Bible, the group most likely to persecute him would be the Evangelical Christians.
Why would anyone think this? Details please.

JG
Old 09-26-2006, 09:26 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._johngalt
Why would anyone think this?* *Details please.

JG
Hmmm, maybe all those admonishments about giving everything to the poor, a rich man cannot enter heaven, drop everything and follow me, etc. would rub the Mercedes-driving televangelists the wrong way. Then there is all that stuff about lovng your enemies (Samaritan = modern day "islamofascist"?)...

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 09:30 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

We beat the 'dirty birds' at home(Superdome) on Monday night tv.

Wonder of wonders.

heh heh heh heh heh
Old 09-26-2006, 11:44 AM   #34

Don't forget about the Church of the Subgenius:

http://www.subgenius.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subgenius
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 12:05 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Hmmm, maybe all those admonishments about giving everything to the poor, a rich man cannot enter heaven, drop everything and follow me, etc. would rub the Mercedes-driving televangelists the wrong way.* Then there is all that stuff about lovng your enemies (Samaritan = modern day "islamofascist"?)...
Sadly, it's not just the Protestant Evangelicals.* Here in heavily Roman Catholic Chicago, it's becoming common for parish members to give charitable contributions directly to non-religious affiliated charitable organizations instead of via the offering plate.* They're tired of hearing admonishments to give, give, give to help the poor and unfortunate while seeing the church hold such expansive wealth and the heirarchy conduct themselves immoraly.

There are many other examples.* The Minnesota Lutherns headquartered in Lake Wobegon come to mind........ Whew, talk about scandal and hypocracy!

It's a shame.* There are so many individuals who, as church members, work hard to make the world a better place for unfortunate people.* Yet, it's the TV evangelist or ass-grabbing, alcoholic priest that gets all the media attention.

I won't get into what I think of the media........

Old 09-26-2006, 12:22 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet
Sadly, it's not just the Protestant Evangelicals. Here in heavily Roman Catholic Chicago, it's becoming common for parish members to give charitable contributions directly to non-religious affiliated charitable organizations instead of via the offering plate. They're tired of hearing admonishments to give, give, give to help the poor and unfortunate while seeing the church hold such expansive wealth and the heirarchy conduct themselves immoraly.

There are many other examples. The Minnesota Lutherns headquartered in Lake Wobegon come to mind........ Whew, talk about scandal and hypocracy!

It's a shame. There are so many individuals who, as church members, work hard to make the world a better place for unfortunate people. Yet, it's the TV evangelist or ass-grabbing, alcoholic priest that gets all the media attention.

I won't get into what I think of the media........

I kinda like the phrase "I am my favorite charity" from the Millionaire Next Door. This can be taken many ways, but I interpret it as meaning that I am the best person to decide how my money is spent.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 03:54 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Gatsby
I kinda like the phrase "I am my favorite charity" from the Millionaire Next Door.* This can be taken many ways, but I interpret it as meaning that I am the best person to decide how my money is spent.
In Warren Buffett's case it means "I can make these assets grow faster than you can."

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 04:51 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem
Well, I've got no personal experiance with the Torah.* The exhortations to violence in both the Bible and the Koran are numerous, as are calls for nonviolence.* In fact, some cite these internal inconsistencies as major impediments to using these writings as a guide to appropriate behavior.* Others pick and choose the passages they want to use.* Harris believes modern moderate Christian religions do this--accepting the "love thy neighbor" parts while leaving out or interpreting as metaphors the specific direction to kill your children, stone your neighbors/children, instructions on the appropriate degree to which slaves may be beaten, etc (and never specificaly proscribing slavery, etc).* *Harris argues that every step back from the violence called for by the texts has resulted from growing societal enlightenment, not from a more authentic interpetation of the books themselves.
Never have read the Bible in totality, but what I gathered (rightly I hope) from Catholic school was that the New Testament kinda "supersedes" the Old Testament with its violent practices and bizarre ritualistic demands.* Also from Catholic school, we were shown that Jesus' teachings in the Bible focused on love and forgiveness, rather than satisfying traditional worship practices.* He chose not to stress all the tomes of Jewish rules but summarized what we are to do:* Love God above all else and love others as you love yourself.

Or something like that... Anyway, Jesus certainly was not traditional--he didn't condone stoning, he associated with tax collectors and people of "lower" class, he did stuff on the Sabbath, etc.

Yes, I am picking the portions that appeal to me :-)* The Old Testament sure was weird with its proscriptions and demands for child sacrifice, etc. Maybe that's why it's called "Old"; that stuff was what people did in the old days.
Old 09-26-2006, 06:50 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
I would not stop there. - I think all organized religions are an abomination and would probably be disdained by any god, no matter who you believe in.

Take Christ for instance. In his teachings in the Bible, he did not hold organized religion in high regard. In fact, he called it a hypocrisy. There are true Christians and then there are those that attend organized services.

Christ hung out with prostitutes, thieves and the poor. Had long hair and turned water into wine - Pretty much a worthless individual by any organized religious standards today as well as 2000 years ago. Today, he might even hang out with illegal immigrants!

Yep, Jesus was kind of a hippy type in his day. I agree with you.

Old 09-26-2006, 07:30 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

"I have no problem with God. It's some of his fan clubs that trouble me." - Anon.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote