Join Early Retirement Today
Re: The God Delusion
Old 09-28-2006, 12:44 PM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Originally Posted by The Other Michael

My impression is that many of the non-believers just do their humanitarian/charitable activities without making a fuss about it.
I'm extremely glad to hear that.* It's the right thing to do in my opinion.
Religious organizations often seem to make a big hullaballo about "look what we are doing for the greater glory of our diety".
* Clearly some do, clearly some don't.* You probably have an understandable bias in that regard.

You certainly can't help everyone, and each individual has to pick and choose their cause(s).
*I sure agree with that.

If you want to envision someone getting into someone else's face, you don't have to go much farther than the typical street preacher, JW/Mormon door-bell ringer, etc.* It is so heartwarming to have someone come up and tell you that you are a vile person destined for eternal punishment.
* Yep, agreed.* Whether it's a JW/Mormon pushing his beliefs on me or aetheists heckling Christians worshipping in a public area, I've no use for it.* Live and let live without judgement.* *

then you find that when you want to go your own way you are shunned by your friends and/or family, it isn't surprising that there can be a teensy bit of anger that shows up.
Being shunned is indeed an expected part of breaking away from a culture, religious or otherwise. But I think that being true to yourself is the way to go and I applaud you for it.*

"I wasn't born blue blood. I was born blue-collar." John Wort Hannam
youbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2006, 01:30 PM   #82
Recycles dryer sheets

Originally Posted by youbet
. . . or aetheists heckling Christians worshipping in a public area, I've no use for it.
OK, let's look at that statement.* Who is getting into faces at the start by worshipping "in a public area"?

The last time I looked around there is NO shortage of churches, Kingdom Halls, synagogues, temples etc in the United States.* Many of them seem to be open many hours a day, and some 24/7.* Why, I even have the impression that to a large degree those establishments operate pretty much tax free, which means that the public gets to foot the bill for providing a lot of infrastructure for them (which doesn't seem too equitable, does it?).

The Christians (since they are the predominent religious group in the USA) have a biblical injunction about that:* Mathew 6:5 "When you pray, you shall not be as the hypocrites, for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen by men."

That appears to be largely to be ignored by many Christians who seem to delight in forcing their religion out into the public spaces and into people's faces.* Once you decide to put on a public spectacle, you probably should not be surprised if the public decides to tell you what they think about that.

They've already got plenty of places to do their stuff - why can't they leave the rest of us in peace?* If I go to a local government meeting, I don't need to listen to a prayer.* If I go to a sporting event, I don't need to listen to a prayer.* If I go out to eat I don't need to listen to a bunch of people loudly praying and interrupting other people's conversations.* If I'm walking down the street I don't need someone coming up and inquiring if I've seen Jesus, (they sure seem to have a hard time keeping track of that guy).* I don't need to find religious pamphlets (like those from the wacky Jack Chick** ) scattered on the bus or under my windshield wipers or in my doorway.

If people want to go to their church and speak in tongues or writhe on the floor or handle serpents or engage in ritual symbolic cannibalism or whatever - knock yourself out.* As long as they'll stay at the "god botherer" stage and do not get into the "neighbor botherer" mode they aren't likely to find their friendly neighborhood atheist imposing on their private activities.

Michael Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 04:29 PM   #83
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Originally Posted by youbet
It seems the definition of atheist is a bit of a misty cloud,... But I have a feeling most folks are somewhere in the middle and get shoved into buckets as convenient.
If there was a line for "secular humanist" or just "humanist" on the "what is your religion" polls I suspect a fair number of agnostics, atheists, and assorted religious would check that box.

Every man is, or hopes to be, an Idler. -- Samuel Johnson
donheff is offline   Reply With Quote