Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-21-2013, 07:41 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It's tough having enough thermal storage for a seasonal cycle. Most commonly, one can have enough storage just for a diurnal cycle.

I once entertained the idea of having my A/C exchanging the heat with my swimming pool instead of the air. Here in the arid SW, pool water tends to be cool (70F) due to evaporation, even when the air temperature might be more than 100F. Hence, there is the desire to warm the pool up, plus exchanging heat with a cooler body than air would help efficiency.

So, my A/C is a 5-ton unit, running about 10 hours out of a 24-hr period. It will need to sink 5 tons * 12,000 BTU/hr/ton * 10 hrs/day = 600,000 BTU/day.

Dumping the above heat into a 25,000-gal pool will heat it up 3 deg F a day. In open air, I do not know how high the water temperature will get until it gets to a stable point, where heat gain equals heat loss. However, I am sure that the A/C will warm it up very nicely, and if it is too hot, I can always run the aerator to cool it down by evaporation.

I never looked further to experiment with this. But suppose I manage to insulate the pool to use it for thermal storage. At a rise of 3F/day, it would be boiling before the summer is over!

Water has a much higher specific heat than solid materials such as rock, and the fluidity also helps circulating the heat. It is going to be very difficult to use a bed rock for seasonal thermal storage. It would have to be huge.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2013, 07:45 AM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
It's tough having enough thermal storage for a seasonal cycle. Most commonly, one can have enough storage just for a diurnal cycle. I once entertained the idea of having my A/C exchanging the heat with my swimming pool instead of the air. Here in the arid SW, pool water tends to be cool (70F) due to evaporation, even when the air temperature might be more than 100F. Hence, there is the desire to warm the pool up, plus exchanging heat with a cooler body than air would help efficiency. So, my A/C is a 5-ton unit, running about 10 hours out of a 24-hr period. It will need to sink 5 tons * 12,000 BTU/hr/ton * 10 hrs/day = 600,000 BTU/day. Dumping the above of heat into a 25,000-gal pool will heat it up 3F a day. In open air, I do not know how high the temperature will get until it gets to a stable point. However, I am sure that the A/C will warm it up very nicely, and if it is too hot, I can always run the aerator to cool it down by evaporation. I never looked further to experiment with this. But suppose I manage to insulate the pool to use it for thermal storage. At a rise of 3F/day, it would be boiling before the summer is over! Water has a much higher specific heat than solid materials such as rock, and the fluidity also helps circulating the heat. It is going to be very difficult to use a bed rock for seasonal thermal storage. It would have to be huge.
We are getting off topic but I found these figures to be very close to my real wold numbers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-3646416598.jpg (226.8 KB, 19 views)

Old 10-21-2013, 07:56 AM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Surely, if one can make use of the time-of-day difference in electric rates, he will come out ahead.

Your chart shows an off-peak rate of $0.05/KWhr, and $0.11/KWhr on-peak. What I am paying is $0.07/KWhr off-peak, and $0.21 for on-peak. And in the summer, the $0.21 price is when I, along with the entire city, need to run the A/C.

Nobody has found an easy way to store off the "cool" that can be produced off-peak. I have looked at solar electric installation which would be ideal, but my house orientation is not suitable for it.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:10 AM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Our house uses electric heat (mostly zoned heating with baseboards) so I replaced only the outside lights with LEDs at first (while LED bulbs were expensive). Like others noted, if you have a baseboard heater running in a room, you are not saving anything by having your LED light only consume 10 watts compared to a filament bulb 60 watts. The baseboard just has 50 watts less it needs to output. We live in the Northwest and so use a little bit of heat probably 8 months out of the year. Plus we have cheap hydro.

In the southern states, the LED would be especially good as you are running an AC to keep the house cool and so don't want that 50 watts of waste heat from a 60 watt incandescent.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:25 AM   #65

Getting back on topic, can anyone recommend a LED equivalent for a dimmable indoor flood BR40?
Old 10-21-2013, 08:25 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
In the southern states, the LED would be especially good as you are running an AC to keep the house cool and so don't want that 50 watts of waste heat from a 60 watt incandescent.
I have used CFLs since forever. Have not bought any LED yet, though I have homebrewed LED lights for my motorhome for boondocking purposes.

The little LED module that puts out enough light as a 60W bulb is down to less than $1.50, in single qty. off eBay, with free shipping from Guangdong! Note that this is the LED assembly without any electronics for people who want to play with it.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:32 AM   #67

We had very bad results with CFL (BR40 equivalent), losing 12 in less than a year. The manufacturer wouldn't make good on the warranty because we didn't have original receipts and packaging. If we can find LEDs for these, especially at the price level mentioned earlier, I definitely will keep original receipts.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:05 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
The equivalent LEDs I've looked at are pretty close in electric consumption to the CFLs.
Thanks for posting this, I thought LEDs were about 10 times as efficient as an incandescent and CFLs were about 4 times as efficient. My only experience with LEDs is in RVs were they make a whopping difference in battery life when camping off grid. There, I've just been using a simple voltage regulator to maintain a 12 volt maximum.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:50 PM   #69

I made my own RV led lights (didn't like the cheap plastic fixtures that RV stores sell) by taking 110VAC Sylvania flush mount ceiling lights and stripping out the 110VAC to ~36VDC buck converter circuitry (ie, clip two wires). I then wired in a potted DC-DC converter module that takes 10 to 32V DC input and can output up to 48V DC at 700mA (called the FlexBlock)

A011-D-V-700 FlexBlock - LED Supply.com

Works a treat. Before stripping down the 9 watt Sylvania fixture I measured the LED string voltage (was around 42VDC). I played around with resistor values until I found a light output that was pleasing. This was 38V output from the Flexblock which consumed 7 watts of input power (Flexblock set to output constant current of about 160mA). I ran the lamp and Flexblock for a few hours mounted to the RV roof while monitoring the temperature and it only went up a couple of degrees above ambient.

This is what they look like in the RV we are custom building:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg interioraft.jpg (183.8 KB, 9 views)
Old 10-21-2013, 01:28 PM   #70
Recycles dryer sheets

Cree 6W (40W) $6.97 and 9.5W (60W) $9.97 at Home Depot 10-20-2013 - Slickdeals.net
Old 10-21-2013, 02:50 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Getting back on topic, can anyone recommend a LED equivalent for a dimmable indoor flood BR40?
I bought 2 Ecosmart BR40s from Home Depot about 9 months ago for the kitchen and am pleased with them.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:09 PM   #72

Looks like it may pay to wait for LED bulbs that have the energy star label.
Quote:
Light output depends on the bulb's spec, but is a minimum of 1,600 lumens for bulbs purporting equivalence to a 100-W incandescent bulb. Among the other criteria are color rendering index of at least 80, and a rated life of at least 25,000 hours...
A tale of two tests: why Energy Star LED light bulbs are a rare breed
Old 10-22-2013, 08:55 AM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Thanks for posting this, I thought LEDs were about 10 times as efficient as an incandescent and CFLs were about 4 times as efficient. My only experience with LEDs is in RVs were they make a whopping difference in battery life when camping off grid. There, I've just been using a simple voltage regulator to maintain a 12 volt maximum.
Many non-white LEDs are more efficient than CFL bulbs as you thought, but most of us want white light. Right now white LEDs and CFLs are running neck and neck. Improvements are being made for each color of led light (including white). Last I heard green was the current winner, it was blue before that.

I think RV lights mix yellow in with white to get more efficient light fixtures.
Since RV owners are used to 12v automotive type lights they seem to get away with this. Some RV owners complain that the light near the edges of the lit area has yellow dots. I haven't switched my RV over yet, so my only personal experience is playing with them in the store, which is already lit by fluorescent bulbs and may mask that kind of effect.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:03 AM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gozer View Post
Many non-white LEDs are more efficient than CFL bulbs as you thought, but most of us want white light. Right now white LEDs and CFLs are running neck and neck. Improvements are being made for each color of led light (including white). Last I heard green was the current winner, it was blue before that.
I've thought about this, even before the white LEDs were available. It would seem that in something as large as a residential light bulb there would be plenty of room to include a mix of efficient color LEDs and blend the light together (a few layers of "frosted"/scattering glass?) to give a white light at the surface. Obviously this isn't practical or it they'd be doing it. Maybe it's the light losses/heat produced in the "mixing" process that makes it impractical.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:04 AM   #75

I think LEDS are just a tad more efficient than CFL, but they last longer (at least the light emitting part does) and are not as fragile. For RVs the other big advantage is they are usually lower profile and don't shatter.

The Sylvania LED home fixture I modified for RV use is only about 1 inch thick at the middle, including the bezel. This would be hard to fit a CFL in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lightback.jpg (46.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg light1ma.jpg (106.7 KB, 1 views)
Old 10-22-2013, 09:23 AM   #76

Another LED question. A light fixture has a 60W incandescent bulb limit. Can one could use a LED with a higher equivalent light output, say 100W, if it fits?
Old 10-22-2013, 09:27 AM   #77
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Another LED question. A light fixture has a 60W incandescent bulb limit. Can one could use a LED with a higher equivalent light output, say 100W, if it fits?
Yes. The 60W incandecent limit was related to energy draw and heat issues. So you can put something in that pulls less energy and generates less heat with no problems.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:59 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

I never thought I would do this since I already hoarded up a few packages of the regular bulbs, but I was in Home Depot today and saw 4 packs of the 14 watt energy lights (60 watt regular bulb output) regularly 6.99 on sale for $1.99. The sale sign said price reduction made possible by Ameren (local utility). Well I darn well knew what that meant. I was the one supplying the discount, so I decided I better get them while they were cheap. The savings on energy cost is fairly impressive. But I still need the hoarded bulbs, as they have to go in my dimmer lights as these things do not work worth a crap in those fixtures.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:11 PM   #79

LED or CFL?
Old 11-06-2013, 06:28 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

[QUOTE="explanade;1376479"]LED or CFL?[/QUOTE

It is CFL. After looking at the container I find it amusing that the package has a green Eco friendly insignia on it, then has a warning that it contains mercury and needs to be disposed of in a proper manner. I assume the LED's are adaptable to the dimmer switch?