Join Early Retirement Today

The Great American Contradiction Cocktail
Old 02-19-2013, 10:37 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The Great American Contradiction Cocktail

Maybe others have, but I'd never heard this until this morning (in a video by a bartender at the Library Lounge at the Ritz-Carlton NOLA talking about cocktail structure/balance), and thought it was interesting/funny:

A Frenchman walks in the bar and says, “Bartender, may I have the Great American Contradiction?”

“I’m not sure how to make it, but if you'll tell me I'd be glad to make you one.” replies the Bartender

“It’s easy! Take some whiskey to make it STRONG, some water & ice to make it WEAK, a little lemon to make is SOUR, and some sugar to make is SWEET!” Then you say "Here's to YOU" - and you drink it YOURSELF! The Great American Contradiction! The guy remarks.

Many cocktails are "contradictions" and he goes on to point out that a Whiskey Sour is:

Whiskey
Lemon juice
Simple Syrup (sugar & water)

And the no-alcohol version is also quite exotic - lemonade.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2013, 10:42 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Could just as easily be called the "Life" cocktail, but YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:43 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Next time I am in Paris I will ask for the 'French Paradox': A glass of red wine with a plate of high fat cheese.
Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:39 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley View Post
Next time I am in Paris I will ask for the 'French Paradox': A glass of red wine with a plate of high fat cheese.
Only time I was in paris, I was in what was essentially a "cafeteria". One of the dishes for sale appeared to be raw hamburger with a raw egg on top. The guy I was with who knew about such things informed me that it was indeed raw, but it wasn't beef. It was horse. Since then (45 years ago) I've somewhat doubted the "subtlety" of french cooking. Yes, all the sauces and small portions may be impressive to the uber-riche, but when I think horse meat, I think dog food. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:15 PM   #5
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Only time I was in paris, I was in what was essentially a "cafeteria". One of the dishes for sale appeared to be raw hamburger with a raw egg on top. The guy I was with who knew about such things informed me that it was indeed raw, but it wasn't beef. It was horse. Since then (45 years ago) I've somewhat doubted the "subtlety" of french cooking. Yes, all the sauces and small portions may be impressive to the uber-riche, but when I think horse meat, I think dog food. YMMV
One of the things I learned from my stint at the military survival school is that you can eat essentially anything that walks, crawls, swims or flies. And if you get hungry enough, you will.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:26 PM   #6
gone traveling

Quote:
OOne of the dishes for sale appeared to be raw hamburger with a raw egg on top. YMMV
It's called steak tartare and consists of minced raw beef that is often served with raw egg, onions, capers, and other seasonings.
It's supposed to be a delicacy.

If you like your steak rare, then you'll love this. The seasoning gives it a nice kick.

Only ever tried the minced beef version.

Never heard of the French using horsemeat till now.
UserRequested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:05 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Hmmm, France in the late 60s. We're you in the military?
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:35 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Very good!
Old 02-20-2013, 11:04 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
Hmmm, France in the late 60s. We're you in the military?
Actually, it was early 60's, but good question. No, I was 17 at the time and not yet eligible for the draft. I ultimately missed out on a McNamara fellowship (to scenic S. E. Asia) because of a student deferment for university and then by drawing a lucky draft number (only lottery I ever played - and won.)

Old 02-20-2013, 11:23 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
One of the things I learned from my stint at the military survival school is that you can eat essentially anything that walks, crawls, swims or flies. And if you get hungry enough, you will.
Heh, heh, I learned this withOUT the military. At our house, if you didn't want to eat something, it was okay. Unfortunately, that's all there was. (A couple of my least favorite things were dandelion greens wilted in vinegar and bacon grease - from heaven only knows when) and volunteer asparagus from the fence row. Hunger is an incredible motivator. Something most folks in this nation have never actually experienced. YMMV By the way, Gumby, thanks for your service.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:25 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

I will revise my French Paradox as follows:

Next time I am in Paris I will ask for the 'French Paradox': A glass of red wine with a plate of high fat, raw milk cheese.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:29 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I will revise my French Paradox as follows:

Next time I am in Paris I will ask for the 'French Paradox': A glass of red wine with a plate of high fat, raw milk cheese.
I don't understand why it's a paradox.
FIREd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:42 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
I don't understand why it's a paradox.
Just google "The French Paradox"

French paradox - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 02-20-2013, 12:32 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Just google "The French Paradox"

French paradox - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The French eat diets high in saturated fat yet have less heart disease than average. Thus the paradox since more saturated fat is supposed to result in more hear disease.

Also, I added the raw milk cheese since this product is supposed to be very unsafe and dangerous. I don't believe it is killing the French either.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:05 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The French eat diets high in saturated fat yet have less heart disease than average. Thus the paradox since more saturated fat is supposed to result in more hear disease.

Also, I added the raw milk cheese since this product is supposed to be very unsafe and dangerous. I don't believe it is killing the French either.
Don't get me wrong. I am glad for "modern medicine". But, we have become good at measuring EVERYTHING associated with humans, their disease processes, their chemistry, etc. etc. Once we can measure something, we begin to look for an association. Sure enough - we always find one. While I am personally working to control my cholesterol, I'm not completely convinced that cholesterol is the real issue - even though there is a strong association between "high cholesterol" and heart disease. Not a rant. Just saying we are very capable in some ways and near clueless in others when it comes to human health. "Mom's" old dictum "Moderation in everything" worked pretty well for previous generations. Farmers who used to work hard, drink whole milk, eat beef,pork and butter usually lived into their 80's without help from the doc - if they didn't get kicked in the head by a mule. Just sayin', so YMMV.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:56 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I will take an American Contradiction over a light beer any day. Don't get me going on non alcoholic wine.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:03 PM   #17

I read somewhere, many years ago, that the widespread use of "Mort subite" ("Sudden death") on death certificates was more than enough to explain the so-called paradox. From my w*rk experience of watching colleagues' obituaries and/or long-term sick leaves going past my desk, I never got the impression that French people were getting ill in any different proportions from their non-French colleagues.
BigNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:07 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

The paradox is easily explained. Low stress lifestyle.

Economy | News | Financial Post

"I have visited the factory several times,” Taylor wrote. “The French workforce gets paid high wages but works only three hours. They get one hour for breaks and lunch, talk for three and work for three"
Old 02-21-2013, 09:57 PM   #19

Quote:
Heh, heh, I learned this withOUT the military. At our house, if you didn't want to eat something, it was okay. Unfortunately, that's all there was. (A couple of my least favorite things were dandelion greens wilted in vinegar and bacon grease - from heaven only knows when) and volunteer asparagus from the fence row. Hunger is an incredible motivator. Something most folks in this nation have never actually experienced. YMMV By the way, Gumby, thanks for your service.
Isn't it amazing how much food tastes better (anything) when you are hungry? I've not been in dire straits, but when I hike for long periods (a week or so at a time), I'm amazed at how good the food tastes (usually peasant-like food), the shower is a luxury and I sleep deeply. There is a lot to be said for the more traditional pursuits - makes you appreciate what you have. There is quite a fine line between what we call civilized food and survival....your physiological and biological processes take over in what are perceived as dire situations.