Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-09-2011, 07:53 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
I'll be in the Paul Farrell Doom Bunker, attempting to assemble complex and highly sophisticated protective equipment.
I think I've just become cross eyed looking at that diagram; who can I sue

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2011, 08:23 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
I'll be in the Paul Farrell Doom Bunker, attempting to assemble complex and highly sophisticated protective equipment.
Great picture. Here's another required component for the true believer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tin foil hat.jpg (311.4 KB, 3 views)

Old 11-09-2011, 08:45 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototype View Post
I watched the video that was about 8 minutes long. I almost bought the new edition of the book with the extra chapter not in the original book. The amozon reviews were nediocre in that he kept discussing the same things over and over, I did not buy the book. I probably saw it all on the video.

Don
t get me wrong, I tend toward the pessimitic side for our lonng tern future,
Youw tink we
s domed?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:57 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut
I am still waiting for global winter, riots and martial law in the cities and a huge shortage of food right here in North America. All were predicted in the 70's.
I'm still waiting for the collapse in home prices and tech stocks. Oh wait, those things happened.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:03 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by emi guy View Post
Hello everyone. I'm reading a book by Harry S. Dent, Jr. named: The Great Crash Ahead (Free Press, 2011). In it, the author makes a compelling case regarding the baby boom generation demographic and how it will naturally cause upheaval in the stock market as the baby boomers shift from spenders to savers in preparation for retirement. Does anyone have any thoughts on the notion or Mr. Dent as an author or economist? TIA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
Hey, I represent that remark (as an early boomer).
No need to save anymore - at least in my case.
Rather than save, I'm stimulating the economy ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Thats how I used to justify new car purchases to DW, I'm stimulating the economy
Gotta admire Harry Dent's persistence as an author. He's right up there with Mary Meeker analyzing tech stocks or Henry Blodgett writing about them.

"Economist"? I don't see how those credentials have any relevance to his book-publishing business.

I also kinda missed his link between "empty nest" and "higher savings rate". Since our fledgling fluttered away, we've had way too much free time (and spending opportunities) to be able to save anything. Other parents are probably looking at the remnants of their kids' college funds and trying to figure out where they're going to save for retirement, too.

Now that you've read his latest book, it'd be interesting to hear your perspective on his earlier ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototype View Post
Change the title to China, and you got a book that has amuch higher probability of happening. JMHO
Um, no.

The U.S. military (PACOM) works very hard to scare the crap out of engage with the PRC's military leadership through exercises, port visits, and conferences. So far it's going quite well.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:27 AM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
The U.S. military (PACOM) works very hard to scare the crap out of engage with the PRC's military leadership through exercises, port visits, and conferences. So far it's going quite well.
IIRC, the authors predicted that the CHICOMS were all going the way of the Dodo, as had their contemporaries up 'round USSR Russia way.

But them wascaly wabbits proved 'em wrong, what with running over the bullet riddled bodies of their own citizens with their tanks and such.

I'm thinking the Chinese leaders have thick skins, lots of national pride, and huge ambitions. They haven't gone crazy enough to take us on - not just yet anyway - but give them time and they will do their best to be a PITA.

Dent reminds me of my MiL, who believed in Astrology and the I-Ching. She predicted all kinds of crap, and every now and again something kinda-sorta happened and she proclaimed victory. If she were still alive to see the little bit of red on the back of our ten dollar bills she would swear she nailed her prediction on "red money" - http://www.zerohedge.com/article/red...racy-theory-11

I put Dent in the same category as I placed Jim Cramer. They both have interesting ideas and theories, they're not complete crackpots, they are motivated more by selling their books and being famous than anything else, and other than being the source for alternative views no actual investments should take place based on their words.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:35 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Youw tink we s domed?
We b domed 4 sho.

Nords, I am certain your boys have instilled caution in the military leaders. Your account was wonderful. It is the political leaders I worry about.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:20 AM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

I know a bit off topic and I didn't take the time to read through all the posts but, I just heard that the guy that said it was going to be the end of the world awhile back is finally admitting he was wrong.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:14 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Dream View Post
I know a bit off topic and I didn't take the time to read through all the posts but, I just heard that the guy that said it was going to be the end of the world awhile back is finally admitting he was wrong.
Now that IS scary...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:42 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
We b domed 4 sho.
Nords, I am certain your boys have instilled caution in the military leaders. Your account was wonderful. It is the political leaders I worry about.
I don't remember whether it was 2006 or 2007, but two Pacific aircraft carriers (and their attendant ships) were going west as one was returning east. It was the largest Navy ship rendezvous since Vietnam.

Whaddya do for this historic occasion-- throw a party? Nope: plan an exercise.

The two battlegroups squared off and exercised various tactical problems. Late in the planning, PACOM personally invited his PRC counterpart and several of their spies staff aboard the U.S. carriers to observe the exercise.

All it took was one night of carrier ops to make the PRC understand that they would not have 24/7 air superiority. True, even U.S. pilots think that night flight ops are kinda scary. The PRC were feeling the fear of "We won't be able to do this for decades"...

Then they found out that the entire air war over Guam-- sorties, armament, tankers and on-the-fly planning changes-- was actually being handled by a joint Air Force-Navy detachment at Hickam AFB. PRC would have to shoot down a lot of satellites to put that data link out of business.

Different story: Spouse used to lead VIP tour groups of exercise COBRA GOLD in Thailand. Each year the observers included PRC officers. One year she and her team observed the PRC spies officers covertly photographing the Thai-U.S. command centers and computers with their cell phones. This was duly reported up the U.S. chain of command for appropriate diplomatic reprisals. The report was returned by the PACOM staff, however, with additional guidance of "Let 'em think they're getting away with it!"

The fighting never ends-- the ammunition just changes.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 06:09 AM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

Ah yes, "hanging by a thread". Wait a second,.... maybe it was someone else who said that. Hmmm, ECB steppin in to buy the latest Italian bond auction to keep the yields jumpin even farther beyond the point of no return on what amounts to more than 2.5 trillion in debt (if only Corzine had a little more time on that bet and figured out how to comingle taxpayer money in addition to customer money). And of course the French-bund spreads hitting new records is always a good sign.

Contagion back to the far more solvent US? No problem, it will all be just peachy as soon as the ECB's new boy, Mario borrows Ben's helicopter according to our man Jim. And of course CDS triggers would never kick in anyway since any and all defaults will be voluntary according to ISDA gun pointing guidelines.

And I'm feelin much better knowin our supercommittee default cuts will get spending under control while GDP continues to accelerate (GDP is accelerating isn't it?)...........somewhere out there in the future. Blastin thru 100%debt/GDP got ya slightly worried? Once again, no worries, just stick with the forum B,B and B mantra, take solace that Bill G and Meridith got it wrong (or was their timing just off...forget I said that) and all will be perfectly well with the almighty US of A...

Of course that Jim Grant, he's just another sensationalizing lunatic

ECB's Response to Debt Crisis, Money Printing - Video - Bloomberg

(sorry to bore ya but that was fun. Good luck to all of us in these interesting times)
Old 11-11-2011, 10:04 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The PRC were feeling the fear of "We won't be able to do this for decades"...
And then we will have something else.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 10:15 AM   #33
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Bold predictions: More entertainment than truth

Quote:
Remember Dow 36,000, published to much fanfare during the heady bull market of the mid-1990s? How about Why the Real Estate Boom Will Not Bust, published in 2006? And late last year, a well-known analyst predicted widespread defaults on debt during 2011 by state and municipal governments.

How did that all work out?
Quote:
... although many predictions miss their mark or are ill-timed, people continue to listen to them avidly.

"There is a deep-rooted need to believe that we live in a predictable and controllable universe," Mr. Tetlock said. In addition, "people anticipate intense regret—and a lot of blame—if they failed to heed authoritative-sounding advice that subsequently turned out to be accurate."

So demand outstrips supply in the forecasting business. And while there really aren't any expert seers, there are a lot of people eager to fill that market niche.
Quote:
"The media rewards simplistic sound bites," he said. "It is a big mistake to confuse entertainment value with truth value."

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 01:15 PM   #34

The bottom line is that greed and fear get attention and sell product.

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote