The Great Debate - Best Beer for the buck?

I usually keep a few Miller Lites in the fridge. Not the most exciting pick, but it's a nice go-to especially if you want a refreshing beer. After a long day of mountain biking, ML tastes great in a frosted beer mug.

If I go to a bar that just has standard stuff on tap, I often order Guinness. I used to hate the stuff but it's really starting to grow on me.

Feel free to flame me for this but both ML and Guinness are "healthier" picks compared to many of their competitors.

I used to love Icehouse but haven't had it in a while. I think it was $12 for a 30 pack when I was in college (not bad for 5.5%). It tasted like a real beer compared to other stuff I was drinking like Milwaukee's Best.

Rolling Rock from the mountains of Latrobe PA. :D

Hate to burst your bubble, they sold out to SOB (some other brand) a few years ago. The old Latrobe brewery only does contract brewing for a variety of other outfits.

Rolling Rock RIP.

Hate to burst your bubble, they sold out to SOB (some other brand) a few years ago. The old Latrobe brewery only does contract brewing for a variety of other outfits.

Rolling Rock RIP.
Yes, I know. :(
It is still being made, but not in Latrobe. Same recipe, different location. Still tastes great on a hot sunny day. It is not a light beer (less alcohol) per se, but it is not heavy in taste.

Moose Drool - A delightful brown ale from Montana

Pipeline Porter - A unique beer from Hawaii that actually has Kona coffee in it. (You can get blitzed and sober up all at the same time :D)

Fat Tire - A classic Colorado amber

I'm a big fan of Belgian beer. Next time I'm in Trader Joe's I'll have to pick some of this up and give it a shot.

Any other recommendations for beer at Trader Joe's? I'm always looking for something new.

TJ's hefeweizen. Great IMO, has a little fruity flavor to it.

In my long ago days at Lamont Doherty, Friday afternoon record readings and presentations by Phd wannabees, also at "talks" by visiting cognoscenti, Rolling Rock was the required accessory.

In my long ago days at Lamont Doherty, Friday afternoon record readings and presentations by Phd wannabees, also at "talks" by visiting cognoscenti, Rolling Rock was the required accessory.
I had my 1st Rolling Rock in Binghamton NY, senior year of college. :D
They were sold in regular 12 oz and "Ponies", 7 oz beers sold in 8 packs that were popular back then.
The local college watering holes had 3 Ponies for a buck, the "special" every day.
Ah those were the days...

Best beer for a buck huh? Is that per beer or per 6-pack?

I'll assume that you mean per 12 oz. bottle/can. I have an everyday beer that I have consumed since teenage years that is still very drinkable and cheap ~Miller High Life. My preferred beer, however, is Shiner Bock and I believe that you can still find it for under a buck.

Ever notice how many beer/wine surveys are posted here? They always seem to end up being long threads. We have some serious drinkers in this crowd.:ROFLMAO:

I am certainly not an expert on beer and feel that all of it is a matter of your taste buds. However, I do prefer a darker beer like Amber Bock. Couple of my other favorites are Yuengling and Warsteiners (my all time favorite) in a nice frosty mug. Strange that someone has not brought up the subject of bottle/can vs draft beer. I really can't tell the difference but some of my beer drinking buddies swear by the "beer on tap". They won't drink bottled beer, unless it's free of course.

Hmmm, I'm getting thirsty and I haven't had breakfast yet...

Nice choices, and yes, the OP said "best for the buck" (value), not "best cheap beers".

-ERD50

Hey, I'm also in Northern IL and my fridge is always stocked with Belgian brews. You're welcome any time, I'm buying.

Miller high life, the champaigne of beers. affordable and taste good.

Fosters is better but not as affordable

Blue moon is good stuff

Miller high life, the champaigne of beers. affordable and taste good.

High life light is actually what I usually drink. Price is right at $6 for a 12 pk of bottles at walmart. Mmmm... Hot spring/summer day + a high life light or two = delicious.

Last weekend they had Miller Lite on sale for $6.99/12 at Fresh & Easy, I was about ready to bathe in it.

I like Sam Lite, although sometimes it's damned expensive.

For American macrobrews I'd go with Natural Light. It seems pretty much same same to Coors & Bud but always costs way less.

Values....

We like the Mendocino Brewing Company's Eye of the Haws and Red-Tail Ale, both available locally and in our TJs. About $7 for a 6-pack and both really good.

We have at least four local microbreweries and each offers a house beer on tap for about $3 a pint. For drinking out, that's a pretty good deal.

We also like Laguintas IPA and I've got a soft spot for Pacifico Clara.

As for Belgian-style beers made in the USA, the folks at New Belgium Brewing Company do a pretty good job -- I do like their Fat Tire Ale.

So you were not being truthful about those 40's?

No, I like 40's too. On a per unit cost basis, a 40 oz of king cobra is about the same as a 12 pk of the high life. Or I can combine the best of both worlds and have a 40 oz of high life!

40 oz are best drank on a porch, front or back, or near the sidewalk or street. It adds that extra bit of style and class to the process of imbibing malt liquor. One must give the appearance of not caring what others think about you - that you are somewhat of a rebel -while at the same time maintaining your cool, slicked back demeanor. Having multiple 40's is also a good indicator of wealth, along with long gaudy gold chains accented with gold or platinum pendants of religious figures such as Jesus, la Virgen de Guadalupe, or the Buddha.

Under 50 cents a pint for about any kind of homebrew I make. Nice to have a hobby that pays you back. And plenty of variety, as I have an American IPA on tap, about to tap a hefeweizen, lagering a Vienna lager, fermenting an oddball lager made with crystal oat malt, and planning a cream and and a rye amber.

On the rare occasion I buy commercial beer, about half the time it is something made by Dogfish Head.

Hmmm, I'm getting thirsty and I haven't had breakfast yet...
-ERD50

But, but, but, Belgian beer ... it's not just for breakfast anymore!

Actually, I do not drink beer everyday, and always have some lager in the house as a staples beer. However, when I really want to drink beer for enjoyment and not to quench my thirst, Duvel or Chimay is something that comes to mind. It's the same as one does not eat steak everyday, right?;)

Will try the other beers at TJ that were mentioned. Thanks.

Wow, so many comments, I'll try to address a few, but all you Bud/Miller/Coors Lite frosted mug people, I just may have to put you on ignore! <j/k - but barely>

Rolling Rock from the mountains of Latrobe PA. :D
"33"
It is a nice light refreshing beer for lightweights like me.

Haven't had a RR/33 in years - I used to enjoy it on occasion when I wanted something light tasting and it was at least not BMC. It's a little different as it has a definite "canned corn" taste/aroma to it (DMS-Dimethyl sulfide), considered a flaw at higher levels, but part of the "character" of some brews. The gang at beer advocate are not impressed - lots of D's and D-'s ;).

I'm a big fan of Belgian beer. Next time I'm in Trader Joe's I'll have to pick some of this up and give it a shot.

Any other recommendations for beer at Trader Joe's? I'm always looking for something new.

TJ has a pretty good variety of good stuff at good prices - I'm drinking mostly what I brew now, so have not bought much recently. All depends what you like, but I think their Vienna Lager is a good buy, didn't like their 'Flying Cow' (wife kept buying it because she liked the label - that usually works, but not this time).

Ahhh, here ya' go:

Trader Joe's Brewing Company - Beers - BeerAdvocate

Their WinterFest/Doppelbock is not a great example of the style, but very good at that price.

Hey, I'm also in Northern IL and my fridge is always stocked with Belgian brews. You're welcome any time, I'm buying.

Well maybe we should do that sometime, and I'll bring some homebrew - Belgians are really not my #1 favorite style, but I do like really some of 'em, and I'm always willing to learn ;)

As for Belgian-style beers made in the USA, the folks at New Belgium Brewing Company do a pretty good job -- I do like their Fat Tire Ale.

Heard a podcast with the brewer, funny 'cause he says that beer is kind of tricky to brew/ferment, and now he has to make huge quantities of it. He sounded a bit bored with it. I think it's pretty good, if there is nothing more unique offered, I'm happy with that.

And, if you *must* have a 'lite' beer, that is what their 'Skinny Dip' is, but they manage to keep some flavor in there.

I see this even brought brewer12345 back to post ;)

-ERD50

I see this even brought brewer12345 back to post ;)

-ERD50

Working my tail off lately (weekends, evenings, etc.), so brewing time takes precedence over the forum.

I had to post a picture of my drinking buddies for tonight.

Also, can anyone recommend good beers at TJ's for me? I don't like bitter beers at all. I like the Hefeweizen a lot and the dunkelweizen a bit. Did not like the vienna (too bitter). Any lighter non-bitter beers at TJ's or "fruity" beers like the weizens?

Attachments

• IMG_0589.jpg
    IMG_0589.jpg
    489.9 KB · Views: 4
Back
Top Bottom