Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-09-2009, 04:01 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratface View Post
Miller high life, the champaigne of beers. affordable and taste good.
High life light is actually what I usually drink. Price is right at $6 for a 12 pk of bottles at walmart. Mmmm... Hot spring/summer day + a high life light or two = delicious.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2009, 04:05 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
High life light is actually what I usually drink. Price is right at $6 for a 12 pk of bottles at walmart. Mmmm... Hot spring/summer day + a high life light or two = delicious.

So you were not being truthful about those 40's?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 05:17 PM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

Last weekend they had Miller Lite on sale for $6.99/12 at Fresh & Easy, I was about ready to bathe in it.

I like Sam Lite, although sometimes it's damned expensive.

For American macrobrews I'd go with Natural Light. It seems pretty much same same to Coors & Bud but always costs way less.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:01 PM   #44

Values....

We like the Mendocino Brewing Company's Eye of the Haws and Red-Tail Ale, both available locally and in our TJs. About $7 for a 6-pack and both really good.

We have at least four local microbreweries and each offers a house beer on tap for about $3 a pint. For drinking out, that's a pretty good deal.

We also like Laguintas IPA and I've got a soft spot for Pacifico Clara.

As for Belgian-style beers made in the USA, the folks at New Belgium Brewing Company do a pretty good job -- I do like their Fat Tire Ale.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:21 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
So you were not being truthful about those 40's?
No, I like 40's too. On a per unit cost basis, a 40 oz of king cobra is about the same as a 12 pk of the high life. Or I can combine the best of both worlds and have a 40 oz of high life!

40 oz are best drank on a porch, front or back, or near the sidewalk or street. It adds that extra bit of style and class to the process of imbibing malt liquor. One must give the appearance of not caring what others think about you - that you are somewhat of a rebel -while at the same time maintaining your cool, slicked back demeanor. Having multiple 40's is also a good indicator of wealth, along with long gaudy gold chains accented with gold or platinum pendants of religious figures such as Jesus, la Virgen de Guadalupe, or the Buddha.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:33 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Under 50 cents a pint for about any kind of homebrew I make. Nice to have a hobby that pays you back. And plenty of variety, as I have an American IPA on tap, about to tap a hefeweizen, lagering a Vienna lager, fermenting an oddball lager made with crystal oat malt, and planning a cream and and a rye amber.

On the rare occasion I buy commercial beer, about half the time it is something made by Dogfish Head.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 07:59 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Hmmm, I'm getting thirsty and I haven't had breakfast yet...
-ERD50
But, but, but, Belgian beer ... it's not just for breakfast anymore!

Actually, I do not drink beer everyday, and always have some lager in the house as a staples beer. However, when I really want to drink beer for enjoyment and not to quench my thirst, Duvel or Chimay is something that comes to mind. It's the same as one does not eat steak everyday, right?

Will try the other beers at TJ that were mentioned. Thanks.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:19 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Wow, so many comments, I'll try to address a few, but all you Bud/Miller/Coors Lite frosted mug people, I just may have to put you on ignore! <j/k - but barely>

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Rolling Rock from the mountains of Latrobe PA.
"33"
It is a nice light refreshing beer for lightweights like me.
Haven't had a RR/33 in years - I used to enjoy it on occasion when I wanted something light tasting and it was at least not BMC. It's a little different as it has a definite "canned corn" taste/aroma to it (DMS-Dimethyl sulfide), considered a flaw at higher levels, but part of the "character" of some brews. The gang at beer advocate are not impressed - lots of D's and D-'s .

Quote:
Originally Posted by bank5 View Post
I'm a big fan of Belgian beer. Next time I'm in Trader Joe's I'll have to pick some of this up and give it a shot.

Any other recommendations for beer at Trader Joe's? I'm always looking for something new.
TJ has a pretty good variety of good stuff at good prices - I'm drinking mostly what I brew now, so have not bought much recently. All depends what you like, but I think their Vienna Lager is a good buy, didn't like their 'Flying Cow' (wife kept buying it because she liked the label - that usually works, but not this time).

Ahhh, here ya' go:

Trader Joe's Brewing Company - Beers - BeerAdvocate

Their WinterFest/Doppelbock is not a great example of the style, but very good at that price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9 View Post
Hey, I'm also in Northern IL and my fridge is always stocked with Belgian brews. You're welcome any time, I'm buying.

Well maybe we should do that sometime, and I'll bring some homebrew - Belgians are really not my #1 favorite style, but I do like really some of 'em, and I'm always willing to learn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urchina View Post

As for Belgian-style beers made in the USA, the folks at New Belgium Brewing Company do a pretty good job -- I do like their Fat Tire Ale.
Heard a podcast with the brewer, funny 'cause he says that beer is kind of tricky to brew/ferment, and now he has to make huge quantities of it. He sounded a bit bored with it. I think it's pretty good, if there is nothing more unique offered, I'm happy with that.

And, if you *must* have a 'lite' beer, that is what their 'Skinny Dip' is, but they manage to keep some flavor in there.

I see this even brought brewer12345 back to post

-ERD50
Old 04-09-2009, 08:23 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I see this even brought brewer12345 back to post

-ERD50
Working my tail off lately (weekends, evenings, etc.), so brewing time takes precedence over the forum.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 08:41 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

I had to post a picture of my drinking buddies for tonight.

Also, can anyone recommend good beers at TJ's for me? I don't like bitter beers at all. I like the Hefeweizen a lot and the dunkelweizen a bit. Did not like the vienna (too bitter). Any lighter non-bitter beers at TJ's or "fruity" beers like the weizens?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0589.jpg (489.9 KB, 4 views)
Old 04-09-2009, 11:39 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratface View Post
Miller high life, the champaigne of beers. affordable and taste good.

Fosters is better but not as affordable

Blue moon is good stuff
You're speakin' muh language. If I had to buy beer to drink for the rest of my life it'd be Miller Lite. 3 cases idling in the basement as we "speak". Damn I love loss leaders/ new competition, etc.

If I was stranded on a desert island and had to drink one beer, but didn't have to buy it, it'd be blue moon.

Funny thing is, they're approaching each other in price, lately. Pesky economics of mega/macrobrews.

For the 'spendier' stuff, I choose Sam Adams and/or Leinie's. i.e. if money was no object.

I'm a simple man... and I've had a scant few damn good homebrews in my short time. I've yet to make it to Germany.

As far as the quantity is quality argument, Busch Lite, Natty Ice, Icehouse, Mickey's, etc. -- tough to win that argument if you try to play the purist 'quality card'. The college kid will rock your world every time. Next time the argument comes up, it might take a couple cases, and a couple of catfishin' rods on a boat to really shake out a decision.

-CC
Old 04-10-2009, 01:29 AM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bank5 View Post
This is a completely open ended question/debate. The only rule is there are no rules!
On tap at the ballpark.
Old 04-10-2009, 07:23 AM   #53

I like sampling the local beer wherever i go as thats usually the only place i'm going to experience the beer ,the big factory beer like Budweiser etc. can be had anytime and usually lacks in any distictive flavor.
Couple of my faveorite local beers =Google Image Result for http://www.blackcapdesign.com/canmbrew/quebecmap.gif
Old 04-10-2009, 07:34 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Don't know about 'for the buck' and clearly all individual preference, but when I drink beer it's
Attached Images
File Type: gif guiness-big.gif (107.6 KB, 1 views)

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 03:30 PM   #55
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yes Guinness is good, not many places carry it in my neck of the woods.

The ultimate best beer is the one the neighbor brings over to interrupt whatever I'm doing for a round of BS.
Old 04-10-2009, 03:47 PM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

For a light beer---I used to like Rolling Rock Green Light. RR has changed their light beer recipe and the new stuff is pure dreck in my opinion. I would just as soon have Milwaulkee's Best Light (really, really cheap) as the new recipe.
Old 04-10-2009, 04:45 PM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

For those looking for a great brew around Seattle, check out Snoqualmie Brewery - fantastic stuff. You can get it at the brewery, and several local retailers. I'm partial to the Wildcat IPA and Steam Train Porter, but they are all excellent.

I was introduced to this beer by the two owners, who routinely bring it to boating gatherings in the PNW. Definitely top notch stuff.

Also, they make the best root beer I've ever tasted...but you won't find it for sale anywhere. Gotta go in person, have good timing, and ask real nice like...
Old 04-10-2009, 04:50 PM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

Bud Light at Costco gets my cheap beer dollars.

When I feel like splurging, I pick up some Spaten at the local beverage store