Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-22-2009, 01:54 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm just grateful I don't have to use one of these spots....yet.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2009, 08:02 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
To heck with the express lane at the grocery store--I would pay extra for a checkout line without kids in it! Squalling their heads off while mama or daddy shows of those parenting skills they learned at the trailer park down the street.
How did Melville put it in Moby Dick, something like when he gets to the point of wanting to knock people's hats off, he gets himself to sea. When I get that way , instead of going to the grocery store I go online and pay a little more to have it delivered.

I swear I'm a gonna write to the math dept. at the nearby H.S. and ask them to present a problem to the students: How much longer does it take your students to go 30 blocks on the bus, when two of them with huge backpacks block both sides of the rear doors so that people with groceries have to fight their way around them? "Excuse me, excuse me, back door!" Now X number of people get on after visiting two supermarkets two stops before the H.S. If every stop has an extra delay of X seconds....
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:20 PM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
What about using the handicap-accessible stall in the restroom? Anyone keeping tabs on that?
Hmm I never thought about that. I always considered it to be fair game, just something that was enhanced to allow handicapped people to use as well, like skipping up the wheelchair ramp next to the stairs.

It usually presents a different problem, it has more privacy since in the back but a coworker claims he read that since everyone thinks that way it gets used way more and has more germs. That sounds silly but it haunts me.
tuixiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 07:30 AM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

My friend has rheumatoid arthritis and is way over weight but does not appear to have a handicap; she does not use a cane or any kind of device. She has a handicapped sticker and I feel somewhat embarrassed when I'm with her and we use a handicap spot. I feel like people are glaring at us and saying "yeah, she's handicapped by over weight!!"
Glo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 08:07 AM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

The guys at work always wanted me to drive to lunch. I thought, naively, that it was because I had a seven seat van. Oh, no, they told me, it's because you have wheelchair license plates!

Mike D.

- R. Earth
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 12:02 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Are people really that efing lazy?

That was a rhetorical question...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 12:20 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
What about using the handicap-accessible stall in the restroom? Anyone keeping tabs on that?
Oh crap, I didn't know that was taboo. I use those accessible stalls all the time! They are so roomy. Seriously, who can squeeze into the tiny regular stalls? Are they designed for 4' 9" 90 lb miniature people??!! I guess you could say I have problems accessing the regular stalls, so I do need to use the accessible stalls. Although this is mostly at work. And yes, 90% of the time I go in the work bathroom, the accessible stall is occupied but the regular stall is not. In the accessible stall we have a magazine rack and privacy. In the rare event that I have to use the standard stall, I feel like I'm Larry Craig-ing it with the guy standing next to me at the urinal since you are about 30-40 microns away from stepping on their foot.
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 12:30 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Oh crap, I didn't know that was taboo. I use those accessible stalls all the time! They are so roomy. Seriously, who can squeeze into the tiny regular stalls? Are they designed for 4' 9" 90 lb miniature people??!! I guess you could say I have problems accessing the regular stalls, so I do need to use the accessible stalls. Although this is mostly at work. And yes, 90% of the time I go in the work bathroom, the accessible stall is occupied but the regular stall is not. In the accessible stall we have a magazine rack and privacy. In the rare event that I have to use the standard stall, I feel like I'm Larry Craig-ing it with the guy standing next to me at the urinal since you are about 30-40 microns away from stepping on their foot.
I hope someone REALLY in need of that stall doesn't crap their pants while you're sitting in there reading the sports page...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 12:31 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Okay, guys...TMI. Fuego--you and that work bathroom! I swear!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 12:35 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I hope someone REALLY in need of that stall doesn't crap their pants while you're sitting in there reading the sports page...
I would be pissed if that happened to me.

To the best of my knowledge, we don't have any handicapped people working anywhere in the building and I am not aware of any visitors or clients ever being handicapped such that they would need an accessible stall. So I think I'm good to go.

I'm all about inclusiveness and making everyone feel the same and part of the group. Therefore I think I'm doing handicapped people a favor by using their stalls. That's my rationalization and I'm sticking to it.
Old 09-23-2009, 12:37 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Old 09-23-2009, 12:53 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
What? This is a serious quality of life issue for me! I mean, I spend a lot of time in the bathroom. Only the best will work for me!

There's just something great about getting paid to use the bathroom...
Old 09-23-2009, 01:01 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Fuego, I sometimes feel as sorry for your wife as people around me feel for my husband.

Hilarious, though.!
<getting paid to use the bathroom> now that you say it, it IS kinda cool when you think about it.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 06:23 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
There's just something great about getting paid to use the bathroom...
My first day on the job at Megacorp, ~30 years ago, I was working with a consultant who was going to train me. He told me the number 1 rule of consulting was "never take a **** on your own time."

Regarding the handicapped parking space, I need to raise a reverse discrimination issue. Today I went shopping with DW, and the best space in the lot was taken by a guy with a handicap tag in the window. I mean, there were 3 perfectly good reserved spots available, and he had to take up the spot I wanted. How inconsiderate!