Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-10-2018, 03:21 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Maybe I am just old fashioned but it seems to me that this would be very considerate and the person on the special diet should be extremely grateful that you went to the trouble to take their dietary restrictions into account. You are not running a restaurant and should not be expected to provide for special dietary needs.
That's been my take on it too, and I've had to be gluten free since ~1995 because of the celiac disease. While I'm very grateful if someone goes to the extra effort to make or acquire a gluten free dish, I've never asked for that and if it wasn't available I've always been able to find alternatives, although once I did have to go to a nearby grocery store and get a ready-made salad.

So while at times it can be a bit inconvenient it certainly isn't a big deal, especially at large gatherings where there are more food alternatives than I could possibly eat.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2018, 03:48 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
When I read "According to what I've read, there are no tangible digestive or physiological benefits to avoiding gluten for those who don't have an actual condition like celiac." I figure it's got to be someone who doesn't realize how poor Western medicine understands autoimmune issues. Their answer is usually to suppress the immune system overall, and that causes a whole host of life shortening issues and is also hugely expensive. And, oh, often just takes the edge off the symptoms, doesn't eliminate them.

Antidotes is not the same as science... I did not put down that stmt, but I was thinking it when I read up a bit on GF... what I read said there were no good studies on people without celiac.... so that makes the stmt true...

Now, if someone decides to stop eating something like gluten and they feel better then they should then avoid it... I still can call it a fad...

I can be proven wrong with research...

Edit to add... I am diabetic and do not expect people to cook deserts etc. without sugar just for me... heck, I probably will eat some anyhow but just use portion control.. well, unless it has nuts which I do not like which I mentioned in my first post...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 04:50 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Antidotes is not the same as science... ............
Also true of anecdotes.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 05:11 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliefan33 View Post

The grocery store had a Betty Crocker gluten free cake mix for $4.29. Ouch! That’s almost four times a regular cake mix............................ So that effectively makes the cost of the gluten free cake mix eight times that of a regular cake mix. ..................................

Often, it's all in the mind.......that is,how you think about it. Ever get excited
about a CD that pays 1% more than one that's paying 2%. In one sense, it's 50% more in a relative sense. In an absolute sense, it's 1% more. If you have 10K , that's $100 more in a yr. If you don't have the funds for it,think
it's only $100 , not earthshaking. If you do have the funds for it, think 50% more.

In your case, don't think it's 8x as much...........think less than 4 bucks more.
and as you said, so much more convenient than some other paths.
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 05:15 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

When we host guests in our home we do everything we can to ensure that what we offer will meet their dietary requirements.

We see it as part of being food hosts and considerate friends. Cannot imagine counting the pennies over a box of cake mix or a ready made cake from the grocery store. We do not even think about about the cost delta of doing this but I guess that it comes down to attitude.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 09:36 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliefan33 View Post
It was the yellow cake mix. I baked for the shortest suggested time, which may have been a couple of minutes too long because the cake was a little dry. It almost has the consistency of angel food cake.

SIL was very appreciative of the effort and enjoyed the cake. He said he hasn’t had anything “cakey” since he went GF so it was a real treat.

The next challenge will be Thanksgiving dinner. It shouldn’t be too hard. I’m not going to try to make GF stuffing or pie, he will just have to fill up on the many other options. I think the only changes I’ll have to make is not putting the stuffing in the bird*, and thickening the gravy with cornstarch instead of a roux.

*I know the experts say not to put the stuffing in the turkey, but we’ve been living dangerously for over twenty years.
I am not sure if this is the same recipe I tried, but it was surprisingly tasty, whether you're gluten intolerant or not. Looked like brownies and tasted like brownies.
https://minimalistbaker.com/vegan-gl...bean-brownies/
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 10:02 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Also true of anecdotes.

LOL... see what happens when not paying attention and relying on spell check
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 12:08 AM   #48

One time I hosted a party for work colleagues and their spouses. This was 20 years ago, before so many people had special diets. The theme was Cajun food, and I let everyone know in advance we were serving red beans and rice with andouille sausage, crawfish etoufee, salad, and pralines for dessert. One couple showed up and asked if I had any Kosher food. I thought it was incredibly rude when I had published a menu in advance and we were in the midst of entertaining 20+ guests for someone to arrive and ask for Kosher food. I told her she could look in my kitchen and see what she could find, but that I wasn’t very familiar with what food I might have that would be considered Kosher. She ended up opening a can of tuna and eating that.

They were never invited back and to this day I remember how rude I felt that was. If I ever have special food requirements, I’ll happily bring my own food or make do with what’s offered.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 06:21 AM   #49

Please don't take this personally, but I find this totally hilarious...

How to Become Gluten Intolerant

Probably because there's a very large grain of truth in there somewhere.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 08:47 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
I certainly don't have (and never claimed to have) a thorough insight into how Western medicine treats or understands autoimmune disorders. Do you have any special insight into this? All I have to inform myself on this subject is what I read online or in books, and I try to get my information from reputable, science-based sources, like the NIH website. And I 'm always open to new facts and opinions based on sound science. Given that many (if not most) of those following a gluten-free diet aren't suffering from celiac or other autoimmune digestive disorders, it seems they are likely getting little-to-no health benefit from this lifestyle choice, other than maybe some sort of placebo effect. Undoubtedly it does help those who are suffering from certain autoimmune disorders (like celiac) and I never said otherwise. Clearly the OP's SIL falls into the category of people that a gluten-free diet is beneficial for.
You are coming from a logical point of view: that of proven science. Not a bad start, but not complete knowledge either. Just look at what excepted science was saying about stomach ulcers. Every doctor, every paper indicated stress as the cause. If this thread we're back then, and about stomach ulcers, you and I would both be saying to anyone with a different theory that "there's no scientific proof" that these ulcers are caused by a bacterium. We'd be right with our statement. If we continued to say "and that's all there is to it", we'd have been wrong.

I did watch several family members slowly drag their doctors into admitting they had Celiac disease, but not without actually looking at the damage to villi because the blood tests were not conclusive (only tested for the one form of gluten and there are like 6 or something).

The difference between those of us who are on the sidelines versus the front lines is that some of us are more willing to admit that the anecdotes are worth more or less, and that accepted medical practice is lagging far or near behind what the solution will turn out to be. Thus, back to my comments about how much medical science has to learn about autoimmune. We are in the stone age there. Nobody should be very sure about anything in this realm.

I'm not saying there aren't people who imagine they are gluten intolerant (funny video, btw), but for someone to hold up existing, and certainly imperfect science as proof that it's all in their head, well, that's a leap I'm not willing to make. Maybe no one here is making that leap either, and that would be good news.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 09:17 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
I'm not saying there aren't people who imagine they are gluten intolerant (funny video, btw), but for someone to hold up existing, and certainly imperfect science as proof that it's all in their head, well, that's a leap I'm not willing to make. Maybe no one here is making that leap either, and that would be good news.
I assume you are jesting.

With many health issues what works is what works. I have celiac, got diagnosed close to 20 years ago, and for the first few years screwed up often enough that I really got to know my toilet. It can be an extremely uncomfortable condition. But my eventual solution was simple. I eat only the things that nature makes gluten free. Steak, fish without breading or flouring, apples, etc. I haven't "gotten glutened" in quite a long while.

A nice side effect of this solution is that I weigh less than I weighed at 20.

If a person is willing to make large adjustments, celiac can be a only a slight disturbance to his life, and thinking of problems that one may have, IMO celiac is much better than many others.

Ha
Old 11-11-2018, 10:23 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I assume you are jesting.
Nothing I said was supposed to be taken in jest. Certainly not the main message:

Quote:
Just because someone hasn't been formally diagnosed with Celiac disease doesn't mean they can't gain a substantial health benefit from removing gluten from their diet. This is true even given that there's not yet science to back it up.
Now, as to the video being funny, it wasn't ALL that funny to me, but I do know a few people who thrive on being "high maintenance", which was the aspect I found funny.

Quote:
... and thinking of problems that one may have, IMO celiac is much better than many, many others.
This is certainly true. You have a prescribed action that removes symptoms: avoid consuming wheat. Lovely! A "cure".
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 10:47 AM   #53

Quote:
If a person is willing to make large adjustments, celiac can be a only a slight disturbance to his life, and thinking of problems that one may have, IMO celiac is much better than many others.
That's been my take on it too. There is a bit of a learning curve, and (at the time) thinking that I would never again be able to drink a beer or eat a pizza was downright depressing, but I really haven't found it to be much of a burden. Okay, breads, cakes, pies and the like with wheat flour in them are off the menu, but if that's going to be my worst health problem I'll consider myself fortunate.
Old 11-11-2018, 10:48 AM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

My wife has Celiac disease and it is anything but funny. And yes, it has been diagnosed in two ways - endoscopy and blood test. Eating no gluten is the easy part of CD. But it causes lots of other problems, such as an inability absorb certain minerals (like iron) and loss of bone density which for DW resulted in several compression fractures of her spine. So those of you making snarky remarks about GF diets being nothing but a fad, please think otherwise.
TwoByFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 11:08 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
... So those of you making snarky remarks about GF diets being nothing but a fad, please think otherwise.
Did anyone say they are 'nothing but a fad'? I think everyone acknowledged that it is a serious issue for some people.

But there does seem to be this 'thing' among some people that 'gluten free' equates with 'healthy' for everyone. Having some fun with that is not disrespecting the people with a legitimate problem, IMO.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 11:17 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Some of the remarks on this discussion certainly seemed dismissive to me. Why does any individual have to justify their dietary choices anyway?
Old 11-11-2018, 11:42 AM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
When we host guests in our home we do everything we can to ensure that what we offer will meet their dietary requirements....
Yes x 10. If you walk in our door, you are our guest. I always ask if there is anything our guests do not eat (and mention the one ingredient I don’t eat so they know I really want to know) and then plan accordingly without questioning why they don’t eat something. I don’t expect others to do the same for me but some do and I think of them as true friends.

I noticed in Spain and perhaps this is true for other countries that menus carry a comprehensive legend of ingredients in menu items in terms of gluten, dairy, nuts, etc. Really helpful.
Old 11-11-2018, 11:54 AM   #58

I have no doubt that many of the allergies and food intolerances we hear about these days have a solid biological explanation which we just haven't discovered yet. My bet would be on the gut biome, and all the things modern society has done to change it. So much research is coming out now that it suggests to me how little we knew about the impact the bug population in our gut has on our lives.

I also suspect that we'll get better at treating these things (everything from Celiac to ulcers to peanut allergies) once we get smarter at manipulating those bugs. Meanwhile, we're each left to try what we think might work for us. The things I'm dismissive of today may well prove to be the silver bullet.

But let's face it, there's a large segment of the population which jumps on every new, unproven health fad like it's the most significant thing to happen to mankind. And they seem very intent on making sure everyone knows how much smarter they are than the rest of us.

So, to those truly struggling with health problems for which there is no known good treatment yet, I sincerely hope you find your answer. But to the rest, I just find you very entertaining and easily dismissed.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 12:00 PM   #59
Gone but not forgotten

Several years ago I hosted Thanksgiving and my niece came who had just gone vegan. She carefully examined all the cracker boxes for non vegan ingredients and then proceeded to eat stuffing from inside the bird and gravy .I said nothing .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 12:00 PM   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
My wife has Celiac disease and it is anything but funny. And yes, it has been diagnosed in two ways - endoscopy and blood test. Eating no gluten is the easy part of CD. But it causes lots of other problems, such as an inability absorb certain minerals (like iron) and loss of bone density which for DW resulted in several compression fractures of her spine. So those of you making snarky remarks about GF diets being nothing but a fad, please think otherwise.
Sorry to hear of your DW's bone issues and I hope she got those very painful issues resolved.

My DW had 5 compression fractures of her spine in 2017 but it was not from diet. It was the direct result of the onset of severe osteoporosis after two years of a steady diet of prednisone (steroid) prescribed for her COPD. She ended up having to go through two kyroplasticies, plus a year on Forteo (very expensive drug, administered by daily injection).

I didn't know that Celiac disease caused osteoporosis.