The Holiday Is Interfering With My Football Watching

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I got a call from a family member saying..."Hey, there's a plan to meet a sister and have Thanksgiving lunch...how about you join?"

Ummm....What? I planned on watching the early Football Thanksgiving game without any distractions.

This holiday stuff is really cutting into my tradition :LOL:

That's what DVR's are for, along with HD the best improvements to watching TV since color.

That's what DVR's are for, along with HD the best improvements to watching TV since color.

Knowing me, I'd flip on the radio by mistake and find the outcome of the DVR'd game by accident :blush:

Well, I'm not that much of a scrooge as actually I plan on stopping by to say hello and take my sister out to lunch tomorrow. Plus, there is a huge family gathering planned mid Dec so we'll have plenty of time to catch up then. :)

Several of my friends and family now just have Netflix. They are being forced to watch football games at sports bars.

Sports are the one type of programming I have to watch live. I know if I'm careful I might be able to avoid hearing the outcome ahead of time, but I'm often not careful and often can't resist the urge to "sneak a peek" at the score.

Several of my friends and family now just have Netflix. They are being forced to watch football games at sports bars.

Yes, especially as more and more cable-only networks are outbidding the "free" broadcast networks for programming rights.

If we had better and faster Internet available here in the boonies, I'd probably ditch our dish, the $1100 or so we pay on it per year, throw up a good outdoor antenna, build a media center computer with DVR software and supplement that with streaming video from Netflix and Hulu. But the bandwidth and the consistency of the bandwidth just isn't there yet.

Last edited:
Sports are the one type of programming I have to watch live. I know if I'm careful I might be able to avoid hearing the outcome ahead of time, but I'm often not careful and often can't resist the urge to "sneak a peek" at the score.....

What I do is I DVR the game and then start watching it abut an hour after kickoff. Then I skip through all the commercials and the half-time talking heads.

....If we had better and faster Internet available here in the boonies, I'd probably ditch our dish, the $1100 or so we pay on it per year, throw up a good outdoor antenna, build a media center computer with DVR software and supplement that with streaming video from Netflix and Hulu. But the bandwidth and the consistency of the bandwidth just isn't there yet.

Same here, no OTA signal. But I only pay ~$780 a year to Dish (includes 2 tuner DVR + 0ne other TV and one of their mid level packages. All I really care to use it for are my locals, and I could drop down to a cheaper package but DW loves HGTV so it keeps the peace to go with a higher level package.

Last edited:
What I do is I DVR the game and then start watching it abut an hour after kickoff. Then I skip through all the commercials and the half-time talking heads.
Yeah, that can work, too. We usually start watching hour-long shows at about 15 minutes after the hour and just zip through the commercials, and we pretty much end the show "on time" anyway.

What I do is I DVR the game and then start watching it abut an hour after kickoff. Then I skip through all the commercials and the half-time talking heads...

That's what I do for the games besides my favorite team.

For my favorite team, I sync up the radio broadcast with the DVR recording to get the home team play by play :D. I do the syncing with this gadget that can delay radio up to 60 seconds.

Sports are the one type of programming I have to watch live. I know if I'm careful I might be able to avoid hearing the outcome ahead of time, but I'm often not careful and often can't resist the urge to "sneak a peek" at the score. Yes, especially as more and more cable-only networks are outbidding the "free" broadcast networks for programming rights. If we had better and faster Internet available here in the boonies, I'd probably ditch our dish, the $1100 or so we pay on it per year, throw up a good outdoor antenna, build a media center computer with DVR software and supplement that with streaming video from Netflix and Hulu. But the bandwidth and the consistency of the bandwidth just isn't there yet.

I am like you Ziggy and prefer live, but several of my teams that I have season long bets on are played at same time so I have to record one or two of them. It is very hard to not look down at the rolling scores. And then I have a terrible habit of getting impatient if they are losing and fast forward to see if they ever catch up. Definitely reduces the satisfaction of watching the game but my self discipline betrays me at times.

Back
Top Bottom