Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-11-2007, 09:33 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
I didn't know you weren't supposed to use water- and air-tight suture technique.
Did you know that turkeys can explode?
Yeah, but the suture line remained intact, right?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2007, 09:42 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I always liked Thanksgiving until the year my MIL asked me to stuff the turkey and sew it up for the oven.

I didn't know you weren't supposed to use water- and air-tight suture technique.

Yes , I exploded the first turkey I ever cooked !

Old 11-12-2007, 03:11 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
We are going on vacation Thanksgiving week .This will be the first time I haven't cooked the T day special in many years . I really like the smell of turkey cooking while Macy's parade is on . Plus the best part is the leftovers.

Literally the exact opposite here. DW and I will cook a turkey for the very first time this Thanksgiving, and my parents and siblings (all of whom live out of state) are coming here.

It will be the first time in 12 years I've spent Turkey day in the US.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:03 AM   #24

Groundhog Day is the only true holiday. All of the others are just commercialized inconveniences.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1796b.jpg (300.9 KB, 1 views)
Old 11-12-2007, 06:24 AM   #25

Quote:
I always liked Thanksgiving until the year my MIL asked me to stuff the turkey and sew it up for the oven.

D@rn It is going to be really hard to get my morning cranberry juice off the keyboard desk ect, but it was a great morning laugh
Old 11-12-2007, 10:47 AM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I enjoy the holidays, perhaps because we do a good job of avoiding the consumerism and family stuff. It's so nice and cozy here with rain outside, a warm fire inside and (later) a small 3-4 foot Christmas tree. We don't do any shopping at regular stores. We've already made orange-pineapple marmalade and apple butter for presents, and ordered books through PaperBackSwap.com.

We'll spend Thanksgiving with some friends and their family. Last year it was fun to watch their family "discussions" from the outside.

We'll spend a max of 1.2 days with family for Christmas, and avoid the consumer-oriented branch.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:59 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
I like Thanksgiving because it's a non-religious holiday. We have it here at lunchtime because my Dad doesn't drive after dark anymore. Hubby cooks for Thanksgiving and we keep it fairly simple, your basic T-day dishes.

Yep, I just grit my teeth and hang on until New Years. And like Nords, I don't go into stores between Thanksgiving and Christmas, except for groceries. I think I was the first Internet-only shopper out of both of our families.

The worst is that my "soft-rock" radio station goes to all Christmas music after Thanksgiving. So I email them to say that I know a lot of people love that you do this but I'll be listening elsewhere until January.
Thanksgiving is non religious? Who is everybody giving thanks to?
Nevertheless, I'm with you for the most part.