Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 10:01 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I run a recovery community center in my small town for people dealing with addictions and mental health issues. We have a resource room, a number of workshops and 12 step anonymous programs, recovery coaching, etc. In a town of 25k, we get about 5k people thru the door each year (not individuals, LOTS of repeat customers).

Many of our clients just had a stroke of bad luck. There but for the grace of god go I (and you!)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2018, 10:04 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Homelessness is certainly a troubling situation, and I don't see how it can be resolved. It seems to me some are just down on their luck, some just are functionally unable to care for themselves, and where I live, it's just damn expensive to get a place.

Here's one wacky idea: give homeless self-driving cars. (in the future)

At a Walmart near me, there's a guy who's very good at getting donations. He parks himself right outside the main entrance. To make a long story short, he blurted out to me that his best day he made $1400. Imagine that? Tax-free too.

Still doesn't diminish the plight of the homeless. Here in Orange County the govt. is removing the homeless from the riverbed adjacent to Angel's Stadium and boarding them minimally for a month at hotels.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:51 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbata View Post
Homelessness is certainly a troubling situation, and I don't see how it can be resolved. It seems to me some are just down on their luck, some just are functionally unable to care for themselves, and where I live, it's just damn expensive to get a place.
Still doesn't diminish the plight of the homeless. Here in Orange County the govt. is removing the homeless from the riverbed adjacent to Angel's Stadium and boarding them minimally for a month at hotels.
They had to do something because the encampment was right next to the California Angels stadium parking lot. There were many break-ins of parked cars, etc.
People were afraid to go to the ball games.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:11 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We have through quite a bit of counseling learning how to deal with a kid that has been a casual meth user.
Users, even part time users, are unrepentant that what they have done is illegal and downright wrong. They don't consider themselves to have a problem.
Meth is harder to get people clean because every user is different. It takes a year to get the stuff out of your head. Addicts have told me that professional rehab is the only way to get clean from meth.
I was talking to a young man fresh out of prison, and he constantly had the desire for drugs. It was ingrained in his mind. He had a laborer job, but was semi-homeless. He's has since violated probation and gone back to prison
Unless drug users repent and decide that drugs have taken over their lives, getting them to rehab is a waste of time and money. Until they decide to change, improvements are not going to be seen. Their jail will have a revolving door for them.
Our local police are expecting very strong Mexican opiods to hit our streets any day. Those now using meth that switch over will have a strong chance of overdosing and dying.
That is what many homeless have to look forward to
Old 02-15-2018, 11:29 PM   #25

Specialty courts, like our local drug and mental health courts, are a partial solution to the revolving jail door you describe. But you are correct overall, they have to desire the change.

The pain of doing the drug has to outweigh the pain of getting off the drug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
We have through quite a bit of counseling learning how to deal with a kid that has been a casual meth user.
Users, even part time users, are unrepentant that what they have done is illegal and downright wrong. They don't consider themselves to have a problem.
Meth is harder to get people clean because every user is different. It takes a year to get the stuff out of your head. Addicts have told me that professional rehab is the only way to get clean from meth.
I was talking to a young man fresh out of prison, and he constantly had the desire for drugs. It was ingrained in his mind. He had a laborer job, but was semi-homeless. He's has since violated probation and gone back to prison
Unless drug users repent and decide that drugs have taken over their lives, getting them to rehab is a waste of time and money. Until they decide to change, improvements are not going to be seen. Their jail will have a revolving door for them.
Our local police are expecting very strong Mexican opiods to hit our streets any day. Those now using meth that switch over will have a strong chance of overdosing and dying.
Old 02-16-2018, 12:08 AM   #26

I don’t think there is a good solution for homelessness. The beach community I live in has many homeless. Often they don’t want the housing that is available because it comes with rules they don’t want to follow. I’m all for helping the temporarily homeless people who are down on their luck and who are motivated to get their lives back on track. Unfortunately that seems to be a small minority. Many are drug and/or alcohol addicted and have been chronically homeless for years. No one wants them in their neighborhoods. Cities in Southern CA are spending many millions to try to provide solutions but nothing seems to make a dent in the problem. Meanwhile taxes keep going up.
Old 02-16-2018, 08:48 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
I volunteered at a food kitchen for many years, and still get e-mails from the wonderful lady who is running it and some homeless programs.
She was recently told she did it because she was retired and rich. It was such an insulting attitude from someone who was living on the dole.
Interesting remark- I suppose it was meant as an insult to her, but really, that's why *I* volunteer. Not at food kitchens, but on my HOA, at church (I was spreading gravel on Valentine's Day!), etc. I have the time and the resources to do what I want and it's a blessing I want to share- there should be more to life than going shopping and drinking lattes at Starbucks.
Old 02-16-2018, 09:01 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Interesting remark- . I have the time and the resources to do what I want and it's a blessing I want to share- there should be more to life than going shopping and drinking lattes at Starbucks.
I agree that is why I fly for Angel flight. We just got a new task- to fly blood between donor centers.
Old 02-16-2018, 09:40 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
I run a recovery community center in my small town for people dealing with addictions and mental health issues. We have a resource room, a number of workshops and 12 step anonymous programs, recovery coaching, etc. In a town of 25k, we get about 5k people thru the door each year (not individuals, LOTS of repeat customers).

Many of our clients just had a stroke of bad luck. There but for the grace of god go I (and you!)
I agree with you on the stroke of luck. Good for you and the others here who do work to make the world a better place. I need to to do more myself to help out those less fortunate.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 02-16-2018, 09:43 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
The above is all true and the way it is out there (wherever "there" is). You can post until you are blue in the face about homeless issues and drug addiction, but until you have lived with it for a decade plus or so, you just don't understand the magnitude of the problem and how the U.S. is losing the battle against drugs. And I mean legal and illegal drugs.

We lost a 22 year old daughter to "legal" drug use (opiates) and our other daughter managed to "make it" and now is a successful young lady and getting married in two months. However, she can be back in the street in a second by taking one wrong pill or something illegal. Both were raised right and went thru college. I suppose we could have retired 10 years earlier if we didn't spend many, many thousands of dollars on rehab facilities and other crazy stuff not worth mentioning.

Yeah, the U.S. has problem and it doesn't matter who is in office in Washington as they are helpless given the current laws on the books and the attitudes that prevail.
Old 02-16-2018, 09:50 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
I agree with you on the stroke of luck. Good for you and the others here who do work to make the world a better place. I need to to do more myself to help out those less fortunate.
I also thank the people that try to make a difference. I don't have the answer I also know it is a big problem and a costly one. I also know the problems these people have are brought on by themselves in most cases. They need help but will they except help and reform is another issue.

It really is a sad thing and not sure there is any way to fix the problem totally.
Old 02-16-2018, 09:59 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
I also thank the people that try to make a difference. I don't have the answer I also know it is a big problem and a costly one. I also know the problems these people have are brought on by themselves in most cases. They need help but will they except help and reform is another issue.

It really is a sad thing and not sure there is any way to fix the problem totally.
Might not be so easy to make this conclusion about the current scourge. Opiates. Most people I've met got started via a legal prescription after surgery, etc.
Old 02-16-2018, 10:05 AM   #33

That's heartbreaking aja. I think if anyone thinks they know what the problem is, they need to think again.
Old 02-16-2018, 10:34 AM   #34

My DBIL is the Director of the homeless coalition for the county, and writes most/all of the grants for their funding. Because of this he is exposed to a massive amount of recent/current/ongoing research.

His understanding is that there are two very distinct types of homelessness; situational or circumstantial, meaning their lives have worsened and they have no funds for housing or food. They want help, accept help, want a better life and will work for it. They may use drugs to feel better about themselves, but would rather create a more stable life. These homeless can be helped with providing minimal/low cost housing and supplimented with a highly controlled food source. They sign a contract that is behavioral and time limited, and almost 100% do well. He calls them the invisible homeless, and they make up about 65% of the homeless population in the country.
The number one cause of homelessness are single women having children they cannot afford.

The second group are the chronic homeless, and he says from research, they are almost 100% mentally ill. They are unable to help themselves, although they may appear socially capable. There is not much funding available for them, even through homeless organizations. Shelters are about it, and some are closing because of lack of funding. This issue goes back to the 1970's when the USA closed the facilities that housed the mentally ill, and sent them out them to the streets.
Old 02-16-2018, 10:56 AM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
That's heartbreaking aja. I think if anyone thinks they know what the problem is, they need to think again.
If anyone wants a pretty good representation of what the drug and homeless problem is worldwide, they can tune into the National Geographic channel and watch the several episode series that ran a couple of years ago called "Drugs, Inc." It's a real eye opener.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:14 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
Might not be so easy to make this conclusion about the current scourge. Opiates. Most people I've met got started via a legal prescription after surgery, etc.
Opiates aren't the problem. They are a useful solution to a serious problem(pain). The problem is people over using/abusing the meds. I had two hip surgeries following a broken hip last year and Oxycodone was essential. I took the minimum amount to get my pain from a 8-9 to a 5-6. I never got high or 'numb'. When I no longer needed them I stopped taking them with no side effects or cravings of any kind. The pain would have been intolerable without the meds. People using them in a way not intended is the problem.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:14 AM   #37

My megacorp is pretty good in the sense that it supports staff, through funding and time, to volunteer for activities in the community. The missus and choose to volunteer at the food bank regularly.

We have a lot of homeless in Vancouver which the city and province have tried to solve. As many of the comments here illustrate, it seems to be a complex issue. On one hand, there's an affordability issue. On the other hand, there are illness, mental health, and addition issues. Unfortunately, a broad solution doesn't seem to be the answer.
As Scuba mentions, there is some housing for people which is some times refused because rules or other concerns so some would rather live "independently" in a tent in a city park so there is an element of choice going on too.
The different levels of government keep throwing money at the problem but there doesn't seem to be any traction.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:27 AM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
Opiates aren't the problem. They are a useful solution to a serious problem(pain). The problem is people over using/abusing the meds. I had two hip surgeries following a broken hip last year and Oxycodone was essential. I took the minimum amount to get my pain from a 8-9 to a 5-6. I never got high or 'numb'. When I no longer needed them I stopped taking them with no side effects or cravings of any kind. The pain would have been intolerable without the meds. People using them in a way not intended is the problem.
Every one is different. We had a middle aged neighbor go thru three back operations and got hooked on opiates. He had worked all his life, was a non-drinker and was raising a family with two college age sons. He told me he had tried to get off pain pills but was not physically able to. He eventually lost his job, his wife divorced him, they lost the house, and he ended up on the streets.

I had a total hip replacement @ 65 and never needed more than Tylenol 3 during recovery.

DW had a heart valve replacement last year @72 and recovered quite well without opiates.

In my limited experiences, there are many causes of the opiate epidemic, some are personal, some are related to drug companies pushing pills, and some are the greedy docs who push the pills.

Not to worry now that the gov has the "bad guy" docs under control thru monitoring distribution (they think so, haha), but heroin is now filling the needs of the lack of opiates.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:42 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I had a total hip replacement @ 65 and never needed more than Tylenol 3 during recovery.

DW had a heart valve replacement last year @72 and recovered quite well without opiates.
I got run over by a truck, and when my wife went to fill the prescription, (I never took any of the pills), the apparently quite shocked pharmacist asked her "What are these for?"

Likewise my late wife was given them for her cancer, and said "I'm not taking this ***"...or words to that effect.

One size doesn't fit all.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 02-16-2018, 11:45 AM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
I got run over by a truck, and when my wife went to fill the prescription, (I never took any of the pills), the apparently quite shocked pharmacist asked her "What are these for?"

Likewise my late wife was given them for her cancer, and said "I'm not taking this ***"...or words to that effect.

One size doesn't fit all.
Exactly, that was my point to aaronc879's post.