Join Early Retirement Today

The HVAC Saga Continues
Old 08-06-2016, 08:51 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The HVAC Saga Continues

Brief synopsis:
My HVAC (bought through Costco) gave off a bad smell when the a/c was on. The smell was caused by coating of the a/c coils. My HVAC was still under warranty. After a long-ish wait, the faulty coils were replaced by the company that installed the HVAC. No charge.

The quote below is from another thread started by me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
The HVAC guys didn't have any paperwork to leave with me. So, I'll be calling the company for whatever paperwork is necessary for the next trial-by-HVAC that comes up.
++++++++

Here is the paper chase so far:
I called the company that installed both the HVAC and the new coils, asking for the paperwork. No reply. Called several times. No reply. Sent an email stating what the paperwork needed to contain. No reply. Called Costco to help me out. Costco got in touch with the company and I got an email later that day which included some sort of work order with no identifying information regarding the replacement coil. No warranty information was included. The company is not responding to my calls or to my follow-up email.

What do you think may be going on? Why are they not just giving me the paperwork? I will be calling Costco Monday for hopefully some much-needed clout. But, then...?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2016, 09:45 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Brief synopsis:
My HVAC (bought through Costco) gave off a bad smell when the a/c was on. The smell was caused by coating of the a/c coils. My HVAC was still under warranty. After a long-ish wait, the faulty coils were replaced by the company that installed the HVAC. No charge.

The quote below is from another thread started by me.

++++++++

Here is the paper chase so far:
I called the company that installed both the HVAC and the new coils, asking for the paperwork. No reply. Called several times. No reply. Sent an email stating what the paperwork needed to contain. No reply. Called Costco to help me out. Costco got in touch with the company and I got an email later that day which included some sort of work order with no identifying information regarding the replacement coil. No warranty information was included. The company is not responding to my calls or to my follow-up email.

What do you think may be going on? Why are they not just giving me the paperwork? I will be calling Costco Monday for hopefully some much-needed clout. But, then...?
Costco seems to do a pretty so-so job with contractors. Many people vow never again after going through one of these mashups.
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 10:50 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
everything nowadays is electronic. No one gets too excited about paper

just channeling the milleranials a bit
Old 08-07-2016, 06:29 AM   #4

So did you contract with installer directly or did you go through Costco for the installation?

The reason that I ask is that the installer may not consider you their customer and rely on Costco to handle all the "customer service" issues.

Their negotiated rates with Costco for installation may be much reduced over their retail rates.

Bottom line, ask Costco to get you the paperwork if they arranged this and received your payment. They will have more leverage with the installer then you will -- assuming that you went through Costco for the installation.

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 10:43 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauss View Post
So did you contract with installer directly or did you go through Costco for the installation?...

Bottom line, ask Costco to get you the paperwork if they arranged this and received your payment. They will have more leverage with the installer then you will -- assuming that you went through Costco for the installation.

-gauss
It worked like this: Costco gave me the name of a HVAC installer to deal with. I then only dealt with the installer--except to directly pay Costco after the unit was installed. Costco is involved only in the very beginning and in the very end. The manufacturer (Lennox) has signage at Costco. The installer is a authorized dealer of Lennox.

So, I have this a/c coil in my house and I know nothing about it. I don't know the manufacturer, I have no proof of the date it was installed, no warranty and of course, if it's ever recalled I'll never know about it.

I'm concerned that they might have installed an air conditioner from a salvaged 1976 Mercury Monarch.
Old 08-07-2016, 10:57 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I assume you're talking about the A coil in your air handler. These are essentially generic items--with one looking like another.

In the old days, A coils would have standing water rust out the galvanized pan they're mounted in. However most A coils now have plastic pans, and they're not nearly as troublesome as in the past.

Sounds as if you never want to use the services of that installer again since you've been ignored. Just keep a copy of your method of payment to Cosco for documentation on date, etc. You've tried to get the documents, but chances are they won't tell you anything. Just go and enjoy your day if your unit is working well. Be glad you have a Lennox unit, which is a premium brand.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 11:55 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

There are serial numbers on the equipment.
I have furnace/blower, a/c handler, and a/c unit (outside). All three have id plates, serials nos. etc.
Use your phone to capture the information. Then contact the manufacturer to see what's going on.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 04:50 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

After a few months, I went through the Rheem echonet setting for both systems. This opens up many possibilities. For example., just turned on the lower level system fan to circulate the air. Plenty more to check out, such as vacation schedules.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 09:01 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I would contact Lennox. They must have paid the installer to replace the defective unit but I don't really see how it makes much difference since unit still has the same warranty eg replacement picks up remaining warranty from original. And those Mercury systems were pretty stout.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum