The IRS apologizes for the confusion...

Some poor developer will get the shaft on this one. :nonono:

Using a form from last year and just changing one less date than it needed.

Some poor developer will get the shaft on this one. :nonono:

Using a form from last year and just changing one less date than it needed.
Yeah, but . . . before mailing out millions of forms, maybe it would have been good to send it around to a few folks for proofreading.

I wonder how many people actually "scrubbed" it, and how many people looked at an actual paper copy when they did it? I have a lot of experience with this kind of proofreading, and I know I do a much more thorough job if I'm looking at paper. Maybe it's a generational thing, but I have my doubts. It also helps to have fresh eyes look at things like this--the tax pros probably read right over the listed year and zoomed in on just the tax minutiae.

This happened to us. I spotted the problem immediately and waited for the correction which took about 30 days. I was just relieved they responded to the initial error. The real concern is this only happened because someone efiled a fake return last year. The IRS sent us a letter stating " your 1040EZ refund check will be sent by mail because the bank did not accept the direct deposit request". That was before we ever filed a return. The whole IP PIN response seemed inadequate, and now this.

Breaking News: The state of MD is having to suspend returns from certain franchise preparers due to "suspicious returns". Last year the State Comptroller detected the fake return and contacted us for verification so they are much more astute than IRS.

Yeah, but . . . before mailing out millions of forms, maybe it would have been good to send it around to a few folks for proofreading.

I wonder how many people actually "scrubbed" it, and how many people looked at an actual paper copy when they did it? I have a lot of experience with this kind of proofreading, and I know I do a much more thorough job if I'm looking at paper. Maybe it's a generational thing, but I have my doubts. It also helps to have fresh eyes look at things like this--the tax pros probably read right over the listed year and zoomed in on just the tax minutiae.
++1

I got one of those letter too. Good thing I've learned to procrastinate when it comes to my taxes, to let the mistakes like this or corrected 1099s trickle in.

Looks like hackers are gonna hack, hack, hack:

An automated attack on the Internal Revenue Service's computer systems in January used stolen personal data to create fake logins through the agency's Electronic Filing PIN service.

About 464,000 Social Security numbers were used to try and access files through the IRS.gov system, the IRS said late on Tuesday in disclosing the attack, and 101,000 of those numbers allowed the attackers to get at an E-file PIN. The PIN can be used to electronically file a tax return.

IRS Says ID Thieves Used Stolen Social Security Numbers in Attack - NBC News

Are the attacks from the OPM data base or something else?

Back
Top Bottom