The job I’m leaving...

rayinpenn

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
My plan remains -On December 6th I’ll tender my resignation -I’ll give them they customary month but ill work from home for the 4 weeks. The next few weeks I’ll quietly clean my desk drawers. Leaving only a duffel bag to pack that last day in the office after my colleagues leave. I’ll leave quietly as I just as I came 37 years ago. I have had a good run.

It was a few years ago and I was sitting in a pub have a beer and a plate of perfectly prepared fish and chips. I looking through a large window positioned to capture a view of a well lit St Pauls cathedral in London. The hotel Im staying in is all glass and chrome and quite trendy. I am a technology guy that is good with data. The London office specifically asked for me as I was the only one “with the requisite skills”. It’s been a few years and I’m even more skilled now. Yes you can learn in your fifties and sixties. I remember thinking can it get better than this? They’ve sent me to on some amazing trips. Silly but It all started when I read a book about programming- thank god I did. It suites me.

Ive been asked to go on another trip to someplace warm in a few weeks. It will be my last one. There’s no doubt I love this job and as I approach that retirement I am anxious. There’s no doubt we have the funds but can a guy who grew up poorer than a church mouse ever feel really comfortable? I don’t know.

I know its time to go: -Ive been focusing exercise walking twice a day a 35 minute loop (I am an outdoor person and i’d rather not do it in the dark) -and losing weight and keeping my type II diabetes in check. On my days off I enjoy an afternoon nap.

No I’m ready but anxious.. I wonder what the gang here felt?

Last edited:
I loved my job too Ray. I was self employed and perhaps that had a lot to do with it, but I loved it nevertheless. I consider myself one of the lucky ones. I retired about a year ago and have been very content. You'll do just fine and once you're retired, will look back fondly on a good career with no regrets. Best of luck for your future retired life.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

There’s no doubt I love this job and as I approach that retirement I am anxious. There’s no doubt we have the funds but can a guy who grew up poorer than a church mouse ever feel really comfortable? I don’t know.
I'll let you know how it feels early January. It won't be early RE for me, but I had a few significant try-before-you-buy experiences.

I don't think you'll feel great about the decision until you get to Spring, and see many more possibilities. You'll probably have a few smaller "projects" completed by then. and a few on-deck.

You are very fortunate to have had a career you enjoyed, while at the same time being coveted as an asset by your employer. Life changes, usually for the better as long as you put in some effort to learn the ropes.

Congrats on a well deserved retirement!!

VW

Anyone that has put in 37 years of work is to be commended. You did a job well done. Think of yourself as the last of a generation that worked so long without jumping from job to job.

I too am a Type II diabetic, and taking care of yourself for the future is so important for the long run. The biggest fear of any diabetic is kidney failure, and exercise, eating better and laying off the alcohol should be a primary concern.

Just enjoy your remaining weeks on the job, and be glad to step into the next chapter of life.

The Bryds' 'Turn, Turn, Turn' always comes to mind. Or one can go straight to the source. Sounds like a great job and wonderful that you have enjoyed it to the end. Sounds to me like something that would be very hard to leave but... your decision to make and know that one can be happy in many roles and places. Wishing you the best.

DW was born in London and we love it there. A hard place to leave to be sure but now you will be able to choose where you want and when you want!

Congratulations, ray. I was with the same employer 2 months shy of 36 years. I had some anxiety, and also a whole lot of things to look forward too. Its been great so far, almost two years in.
Look forward to your continued posts, after retirement ! Love your stories.

Congrats on making it 37 years at one company! My best run was 17 years. I left that company 16 months after the local office was closed (after working for them from home). At 27 years in the work force, I'm more than ready to bail. You've had a great run! Contrats, and enjoy your well-earned retirement!

Congrats Ray! Well deserved. I do some data work as well. SQL, noSQL, R (Regress), I am too young to say Cobalt...but I think that is a language anywho. The buzz word is "cloud" yepp, i've been in the cloud with data more than cheech has been in the cloud with... well you get the point.

Sounds like you get to travel on your itinerary, your time now.

I retired in August after 34 years with the same employer. I loved that job, seriously. I was meant to do that job and I got great personal satisfaction from the feedback I got. I got tired of squeezing in personal chores and exercise and fun on weekends and I was frankly just fried.

I am loving sleeping late, doing things spur of the moment and relaxing. I highly recommend it. I too was worried about $$ but we haven't eaten one can of cat food yet.

Good luck - I know just how you're feeling. Be nice to yourself.

Congrats!

I also left a job that I loved. Incredible pay for what at many times was a hobby for my IT nerd mind. About 2 months before I retired, I was floating in a pool in a nice resort in a very warm place, along with DW who had come with me to a conference that I only had to give 2 1 hour presentations but our expenses -including travel - were covered for the week, courtesy of Megacorp. I also thought "it cannot get better than this" at that time.

But it does. It was not me liking the job less, it was liking daily freedom and flexibility more. I left my job on a high note and was shockingly rewarded for doing that after I retired.

In the last 4 four months I am SO glad I did retire at a time I felt was just right... I am sure you will feel the same way as well!

Congrats!

I also left a job that I loved. Incredible pay for what at many times was a hobby for my IT nerd mind.... It was not me liking the job less, it was liking daily freedom and flexibility more. I left my job on a high note and was shockingly rewarded for doing that after I retired.

In the last 4 four months I am SO glad I did retire at a time I felt was just right... I am sure you will feel the same way as well!

Thanks Jollystomper, this is encouraging and reassuring!

Words above have been spoken by many of a "lost breed." The future will not see 30-37 year company employees.

Employers now prefer to subcontract out jobs because they choose not to fund defined pension programs. And they like to hire youngsters they can work hard for less pay--before they go on to other jobs.

Back
Top Bottom