Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-08-2016, 12:59 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beldar View Post
Join us NW_Bound, come over to the dark side.
+1
Switched to Macs in 2012 (and very glad that Windows is in the past - only wish I had done it much sooner).

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2016, 01:13 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Maybe I was lucky, as I used Simple Scan, in linux and it works fine for me.

I think it came with Ubuntu.

I do wish the tax software folks would write it for Linux, but no such luck.

Old 08-08-2016, 02:00 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have never used any Mac computer in my life. PCs were ubiquitous in the megacorp world, so I had no choice.

Just a couple of years ago, was given old iPhones from my children when they upgraded. The iPhones were very easy to use, but the hassle of using iTunes just to load MP3 files soured my desire to get a Mac.

I liked Linux a lot (started to play with it back in the mid 90s), but my collection of software keeps me from moving over. Virtual machines and emulators always have some limitations. And then, once I set up these PCs to do what I want to support the legacy software, can just disconnect them from the Internet to protect them.

It's the Win 7 laptop that I use the most that gives me the most trouble. I use Quicken a lot to track my finance, to download credit card charges, etc... I want to stay on top of everything to detect fraud as soon as possible.

There might be some equivalent financial apps on other platforms, but I need time to investigate.
Old 08-08-2016, 02:10 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I have never used any Mac computer in my life. PCs were ubiquitous in the megacorp world, so I had no choice.

Just a couple of years ago, was given old iPhones from my children when they upgraded. The iPhones were very easy to use, but the hassle of using iTunes just to load MP3 files soured my desire to get a Mac.

I liked Linux a lot (started to play with it back in the mid 90s), but my collection of software keeps me from moving over. Virtual machines and emulators always have some limitations. And then, once I set up these PCs to do what I want to support the legacy software, can just disconnect them from the Internet to protect them.

It's the Win 7 laptop that I use the most that gives me the most trouble. I use Quicken a lot to track my finance, to download credit card charges, etc... I want to stay on top of everything to detect fraud as soon as possible.

There might be some equivalent financial apps on other platforms, but I need time to investigate.
I have tried various linux financial apps (Grisbi, Gnucash, Kmymoney, and some others I've forgotten about) and have found that after using Quicken for 20+ years the migration is daunting. Importing the large Quicken data files I have became a very difficult process requiring lots of manual corrections and then learning the new program was a pain. I ended up running Quicken 2010 in a WINE environment within Linux Mint. Works for me and that's what I intend to continue to do indefinitely.
Old 08-08-2016, 02:10 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Have you considered simplifying all this stuff NW ?

I'm on a constant KISS campaign myself.

Of course, sometimes this stuff is just fun.
Old 08-08-2016, 02:43 PM   #46

Quote:
By the way, the older PCs I had from the failed startup days got some special peripheral add-ons, such as IEEE-488 bus interface to control lab instruments, flash memory cards on PCMCIA (remember those?), etc... Gosh, I have not turned them on for more than a decade. These PCs also had peripherals that were expensive back then, such as Sony DAT drives, Exabyte drives, etc...
Yeah I'd be very surprised if these worked under a VM. I use oracle's free VM and it works fine for software only programs. But it still hiccups on my HiDpi screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonge View Post
I just gave up on Linux, again. I have a large scanning project and there are evidently NO drivers that function with my scanner on Linux.
Vuescan (https://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/supported-scanners.html) has been a lifesaver for me in supporting old scanners for which the manufacturer no longer provides drivers. It has a linux version.
Old 08-08-2016, 02:52 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejman View Post
I have tried various linux financial apps (Grisbi, Gnucash, Kmymoney, and some others I've forgotten about) and have found that after using Quicken for 20+ years the migration is daunting. Importing the large Quicken data files I have became a very difficult process requiring lots of manual corrections and then learning the new program was a pain. I ended up running Quicken 2010 in a WINE environment within Linux Mint. Works for me and that's what I intend to continue to do indefinitely.
Argh, I still remember the hassle of moving from MS Money to Quicken. And that was when I used MS Money only to track investments, not also all expenses like I do now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Have you considered simplifying all this stuff NW ?

I'm on a constant KISS campaign myself.

Of course, sometimes this stuff is just fun.
Maintaining the PCs is no fun. But using the old w*rk related software can be, as it now supports the same effort as a hobby. One never knows when he needs to compile a CPLD design and burn a chip, or running SPICE on a circuit design, or to compile an optimal state estimation algorithm.
Old 08-08-2016, 04:21 PM   #48

Quote:
One never knows when he needs to compile a CPLD design and burn a chip, or running SPICE on a circuit design, or to compile an optimal state estimation algorithm.
I'll ask my ROMEO group tomorrow if they have had a need to do that since they all retired and do other fun things. It does sound like work, though. Maybe you should consider employment again?
Old 08-08-2016, 04:29 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

There are many posters here who are into restoring or fixing classic cars. Or they build or restore antique radios with vacuum tubes. Some do intricate wood working. That's tough work too.

My hobby interest is more along what I loved to do when growing up, and when I had to make a living. When I was growing up, I did not have the equipment, the money, nor the technical knowledge that I do now. And when I was making money, I had to build or design what they paid me to do, not exactly what suited my fancy.
Old 08-08-2016, 04:36 PM   #50

Quote:
There are many posters here who are into restoring or fixing classic cars. Or they build or restore antique radios with vacuum tubes. Some do intricate wood working. That's tough work too.

My hobby interest is more along what I loved to do when growing up, and when I had to make a living. When I was growing up, I did not have the equipment, the money, nor the technical knowledge that I do now. And when I was making money, I had to build or design what they paid me to do, not exactly what suited my fancy.
Oh, sounds like it's a hobby. From your first dozen or so posts, it sounded like you were frustrated and it was more like work. Got it!
Old 08-08-2016, 04:38 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

The PCs are not the end in itself. They are tools for my hobby.

I can curse at them, but have to maintain them the same as a carpenter sharpens his chisels or saw blades.
Old 08-08-2016, 06:15 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonge View Post
I just gave up on Linux, again. I have a large scanning project and there are evidently NO drivers that function with my scanner on Linux. Plus a genealogy program I purchased awhile back, Windows only. The reasons I had to keep dual-booting back over to the Windows side just kept growing, and I finally just deleted the linux partition and gave it back to Windows. This might be the last time I get angry and try to abandon all major OS'...
Of course this will be device specific, but in my case I have a scanner (Micrtotek Scanmaker) that ONLY works with Linux. The Mac and Win drivers were abandoned long ago, but with Linux it just works. It did seem to be fussy and lock up sometimes on my 64 bit machine, but I keep it on my older machine and it is still working fine.

Though most often I use CamScannerHD free app on DW's iPad. That's faster and easier and more flexible than the scanning SW I have. I only use the scanner if I need that last bit of extra quality that I get with the flat lighting of a scanner (almost never).

-ERD50
Old 08-08-2016, 07:29 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

I just keep an old copy of Windows living inside my Ubuntu installation using Virtual Box. Turbotax runs happily in its own quiet universe there and all my other financial contacts happen directly in Linux.
Old 08-08-2016, 09:37 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

I really need to devote some time to explore alternatives using Linux with Windows emulation or VM, as the Mac does not appeal to me for reasons already mentioned.

I am still busy with other projects though. Can a retiree get too busy? You betcha.

Tags
computer, windows trouble