The joy of purge fever

rayinpenn

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Phase one of the purge... my baby is in the garage.... 20171013_122640.jpg. Yeah i know still too much stuff. But every time I open the garage door I let out a gasp of delight.

Last edited:
I see lots of opportunities for consolidation and better use of wall space. Nice clean gray floor tough. No oil changes going on in there. ;)

As long as every item in that garage has a purpose and you can find it when you need it, I see nothing amiss. I do think cars tend to last longer if they can spend their nights indoors :)

I just hauled two large pickup truck loads of junk out of my garage and down to the dump. It's nice to actually have space to walk around in there, and to actually be able to put the lawn tractor away!

Hating the cold as much as I do...stepping out into a wind and rain free garage and comfortably getting into my car is great.

I just hauled two large pickup truck loads of junk out of my garage and down to the dump. It's nice to actually have space to walk around in there, and to actually be able to put the lawn tractor away!

Congratulations on being able to actually throw stuff out! I'm postponing that phase. I'm still donating, or recycling, or selling, or boxing it up and storing it out of the way, in my ongoing decluttering. Very little gets thrown out.

We moved our possessions from a large home into a storage container. Then into a 1250 sq ft. condo. Now into a 1450 sq ft. home with basement.

We become ruthless about clutter and keeping things that we do not want or need. Especially now since we have a garage and a basement. This has only served to make us more vigilant. We don't want to repeat the sins of the past as it were. So far we have succeeded but we always check on each other for potential backsliding!

Purge of work stuff

So I caught purge fever last week. Finally ventured into the spare bedroom where over the past 6 months I had been dumping my work stuff as I carried it home from ‘the office’. There was a time when I thought I might look for another job but have since decided that I was done. So that meant going through 20 years of conference materials, white papers, notes etc. At first it was nostalgic and kinda sad to start recycling the papers but then it turned into a very cathartic exercise. I had a great career and I loved what I did. The last 6 months has not been what I would call fun but I do not want to waste time on looking back on something I cannot change. But....my purge fever produced 5 full recycle bags of stuff! Now the next step is to sell all of my professional books and really feel like I can close this chapter and at the same time gain beautiful space that I plan to use for my photography hobby. That way it does not cause any pain at all to see what will now occupy that space!

Anyone else go through the purge of work stuff? How did you feel when that time came? I will be keeping the fun spinner I got at my last conference though - too fun to give up!! :D

Congratulations on being able to actually throw stuff out! I'm postponing that phase. I'm still donating, or recycling, or selling, or boxing it up and storing it out of the way, in my ongoing decluttering. Very little gets thrown out.

This was 30 years of accumulation....junk that was not good for donating or selling or doing anything else with except off to the dump.
Not much demand for busted screens, rotten door jams, or old scrap roofing. Why I kept all this stuff is beyond me!

I also attacked my kitchen the last couple of weeks and probably got rid of half of everything there. Almost all of that went to the Goodwill.

Hopefully will be able to finish the upstairs by the end of the year, then on to the real challenge-the basement.

It feels good to cull the herd!

I think I calculated about $20,000 worth of IRS Schedule A charitable donations when I cleaned out my Dads place after his passing.

Clothing and Kitchen items can be quite valuable when valued with a tool such as the TaxAct Donation Assistant or the Turbo Tax ItsDeductible program.

-gauss

Back
Top Bottom