Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-11-2014, 03:47 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thats really amazing stamina to maintain a pace like that. Just being able to navigate on roads/trails back then, regardless of pace, would be pretty amazing.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2014, 05:42 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
When I was in kindergarten I walked (with 8 y o brother) a mile to get to the paved road and school bus.

Old 09-12-2014, 06:47 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
On the topic of great walks, I follow this guy on Facebook. Absolutely remarkable.
Paul Salopek's Out of Eden Walk is a 7-year global journey in the path of early humans.
Out of Eden Walk
I follow his updates in National Geographic. Thanks for the link.

Old 09-12-2014, 06:52 PM   #24
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
It makes me crazy to see it, but where I live it's very common to see parents waiting in their cars to with their kids at the school bus stop so the kid is never out of sight (and their house is just half a block from the bus stop). Same thing in the afternoon, waiting to get the kid the minute he steps off the school bus.

This is on beautiful sunny days, in a very safe suburban area.
A friend who moved back to Europe had a tough time getting used to her middle school age daughter biking to school on winter days not wearing a helmet.
Old 09-12-2014, 07:54 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Fascinating to see how times change. Weston in 1909... walking was the most common means of getting from one place to another. Surely in cities, there were streetcars but in the boonies, shanks mare... and if you were lucky maybe, just maybe... some kind of horse travel.

Even in my youth... only three families on my street (30 families) had an automobile.

All the way through HS, no school busses for us... less than 2 miles to school... definitely "walkable" .. that was right up to 1954.

Imagine my reaction to the demonstrations in my neighborhood by the parents of the kids who would have to walk 1/4 mile to elementary school... on sidewalks that are 10 feet from the road.

Sheesh... and my trips back and forth were uphill both ways, and through 4 feet of snow in winter.

.................................................. .......................................

but now, in a mellow mood... the slow walks and stop in the malt shop with the sweet young pretty girl who is now my bride of 57 years.

In Silicon Valley, my 5 year old son would have had to cross a commuter railroad track, walk along a busy 6 lane road and cross two other busy 4 lane roads to get to school. Or, he could have caught the school bus on one of those busy streets 45 minutes before school started. Or, we could have driven him 3 minutes to the school. Guess what we did. (Hint: drove).

The balance of time and safety ere the biggest factors.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-12-2014, 11:18 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It was 14 years ago that my youngest son graduated 8th grade. I would never have let him or his brother at younger than 13 or so walk to school. Too many bad drivers, too many evildoers.

When I was a schoolchild things were so much better that adults still talked about the Lindbergh baby kidnapping. Now some poor child goes missing so often that you cannot keep up with it.

Ha
Old 09-12-2014, 11:45 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
When I was a schoolchild things were so much better that adults still talked about the Lindbergh baby kidnapping. Now some poor child goes missing so often that you cannot keep up with it.
Another case of Too Much Media. Out of 800,000 cases of missing children, 115 were cases of "stereotypical" kidnappings. Less than .001%. The rest were family members and other acquaintances, and runaways. The perception is that is too dangerous to let kids play outside, walk to parks and school, etc. The reality is it is just as safe or dangerous as it ever was. Missing persons cases are down over 30% for the last 15 years or so.

It's actually far safer to leave your kid with a stranger than a family member. Statistically, of course.
Old 09-13-2014, 03:01 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
It was 14 years ago that my youngest son graduated 8th grade. I would never have let him or his brother at younger than 13 or so walk to school. Too many bad drivers, too many evildoers.

Ha

We would have walked him to school. It was scary for us on at commute hours! When I was in kindergarten I walked to school with a classmate. From first to sixth grade I walked the 1/4 mile to school, mostly with my older sister.

We were all naive about traffic safety and child development. There was more risk taking and more independence expected from kids in the 60s and 70s. Now even college kids have "helicopter" parents.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-13-2014, 07:05 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
They do it here too, it's insane. I went to elementary school in the 1950s and everyone in our neighborhood walked the mile or so to school. Once in a blue moon Mom would drive us to school if the weather was particularly nasty (near-freezing, heavy rain) but that was rare.
I would be quite happy to let my 6.5 year old walk the short distance to school by himself. But in my state it is illegal to leave a child under 8 unattended. Can't even leave him in the car while I run into a convenience store for 3 minutes for fear of being "caught." These kinds of laws may explain some of the crazy hovering parent behavior....