Join Early Retirement Today
Old 04-29-2010, 06:58 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
It may be because they think you will soon be back to a few days a week or they do not understand why you are leaving . I did the same thing I retired and went to one day a week . That year solidified my resolve to fully retire but no one believed it . They kept on saying you will be back . I finally told them I was burned out and taking a leave whether it would be six months or forever I was not sure of . This satisfied everybody .They still contacted me offering me jobs until they realized I was permanently retired .
This is probably pretty close. Some people don't really think of things as being all that different since I'll be there next week....for one day. They don't really think about how radically different my life will be.

And I'm sure there are those who don't understand why I'm leaving, semi-retiring, cutting back -- whatever you want to call it -- in what is seen as the prime of my career.

I do think some may wonder what I'll do and whether I'll be back. For me I suspect 1 day a week will be about right

Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

The Last Day
Old 04-30-2010, 10:04 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
The Last Day

Well, it was interesting and basically good although it started not so good.

The office manager came into the office and said that the person who is basically by boss and is the person who wants me to work 1 day a week hadn't yet talked to her about the details of my arrangement (not surprising as he's been very busy).

She starts talking about when I come in for my one day maybe I could park in visitor's parking. This signifies they want to give my highly desirable parking space to someone else. I am actually cool with this since visitor's parking is even more desirable (so long as they pay for it).

Then she says they don't know where I'll be working. Again, I have a very desirable office that some people have wanted for quite some time. I don't actually care if they move me to a smaller office and it makes sense to give my office to someone there every day but I do want to have an office somewhere.

Then she starts talking about me being paid hourly and says that for hourly people they don't pay for continuing education or bar dues or my blackberry. (She has forgotten that when my children were younger I worked somewhat reduced hours paid on an hourly basis and those things were paid for me). She tells me that they don't pay those expenses for X who is paid hourly. I don't doubt that but know that X is at a different level than I am.

But I stay calm and tell her that if the firm won't pay for my blackberry that is fine and I'll give it back to them (they own it) and will cancel the service because I have no need for it except to be available to the partner that I work closely with.

And basically I point out that if they won't paid for bar dues or continuing education then I will want to be paid more money or I just won't work the one day a week.

She leaves and I go talk to the partner in question who of course deals with it and they will pay for all that stuff. Just unpleasant to have to deal with it.

The day went up from there though. The group I work with took me to lunch, said nice things and so on. I went back to office and left a little early as I had to pick my son up from school...I wasn't gone 10 minutes before I got a phone call from the office (which was fine but sort of funny).

Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 02:07 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Congratulations. Thanks for chronicling your final days it was interesting reading.

I recently read the final days of Japan, your week was way better .
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 06:08 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
I wasn't gone 10 minutes before I got a phone call from the office (which was fine but sort of funny).
Perhaps you should have insisted they take that Blackberry back Glad to hear your last day went OK.

I purr therefore I am.
Purron is offline   Reply With Quote