Join Early Retirement Today

The Masters 2016
Old 04-10-2016, 05:05 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The Masters 2016

There's nothing in golf like the back nine on Sunday afternoon at the Masters. I wasn't pulling for or against anyone, but you have to feel for Spieth. But he will win many more times...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2016, 06:01 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

He won't win the Masters many more times. Maybe two or three if he is incredibly fortunate. The competition is very fierce and it only takes one hole to have it all slip away as we saw today. What a beautiful golf course. Do you think Bernhard will consider FIRE now.... not on your life! And did you see the tape of Gary and Jack teeing off. Wow. I would have been happy with the swing Gary has now when I was in my 20s!
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 06:03 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I was pulling for Jordan Spieth but even though he was scoring well it was due to scrambling and a hot putter. I was particularly surprised that he chunked his third shot on 12 into the water since his wedge play is usually so good. I'm sure he will get over it and shine again.... in retrospect, he really only had three really bad swings on that back nine and those three bad swings made a world of difference.

Those three hole-in-ones on 16 were pretty amazing... especially that third one which was a ricochet job.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 06:08 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
....Wow. I would have been happy with the swing Gary has now when I was in my 20s!
I had the pleasure of following Gary Player and Jack Nicholas in the last round of the Jackie Gleason Classic in 1977. What was amazing to me was that Player is a really small guy, shorter than me and I'm only 5' 7" but he has this silky smooth swing with beautiful tempo and the ball just launches off the club when he strike it.

Old 04-10-2016, 06:13 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I had the good fortune to attend the 1989 Masters on Sat & Sun, Faldo won in a dramatic playoff. What you see on TV doesn't begin to do justice to the course in person - it is more beautiful and the topography is way more severe than you can see on TV. If you ever get the chance to go, I'd highly recommend it.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 06:21 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I had the good fortune to attend the 1989 Masters on Sat & Sun, Faldo won in a dramatic playoff. What you see on TV doesn't begin to do justice to the course in person - it is more beautiful and the topography is way more severe than you can see on TV. If you ever get the chance to go, I'd highly recommend it.
some day I hope.
48Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 06:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I was pulling for Jordan Spieth but even though he was scoring well it was due to scrambling and a hot putter. I was particularly surprised that he chunked his third shot on 12 into the water since his wedge play is usually so good. I'm sure he will get over it and shine again.... in retrospect, he really only had three really bad swings on that back nie and those three bad swings made a world of difference.

Those three hole-in-ones on 16 were pretty amazing... especially that third one which was a ricochet job.
Epic collapse. A quad on 12, just wow! He's got a shaky swing, but seems to pull off miracles, and has an amazing putting stroke and reads.
Old 04-10-2016, 06:55 PM   #8

Jordan did receive a check for $850,000.00 however. Feel bad for the kid, but not too bad!
erkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 07:09 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I suspect little solace to him and he would happily trade the money for another green jacket.

Old 04-10-2016, 07:27 PM   #10

No doubt!
Old 04-10-2016, 08:51 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

A player who really dominates the sport like Nicklaus or Tiger (when he was still good) only comes along once in a long while.
Old 04-11-2016, 04:34 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Fire View Post
Epic collapse. A quad on 12, just wow! He's got a shaky swing, but seems to pull off miracles, and has an amazing putting stroke and reads.
His drives looked tentative and his swing inconsistent on the back nine. Even when he was hitting birdies, it seemed more because he was making really good chip/approach shots and clutch putts. Most of the first shots off the tee just weren't very good (he said noting it's all relative, it's still better than 99% of us could do). His first stroke often left himself in a predicament, which he usually escaped from. Not on the 12th, though....
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 05:15 AM   #13

Funny, my worst shot when I played Saturday was a chunked wedge from 90 yards. The divot nearly went as far as the ball, but when the ball hit the ground, I got a few yards more of roll But of course, this wasn't Sunday at the Masters on number 12.
Old 04-11-2016, 05:58 AM   #14
gone traveling

Quote:
He's got a shaky swing
I'd love to have such a shaky swing
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 06:09 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

He's been a little shaky the last few weeks, but his short game has been so good he has been able to post good scores. His driver has really hurt him lately. If he gets that worked out, he will be in the winner circle again.
Old 04-11-2016, 06:16 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Funny, my worst shot when I played Saturday was a chunked wedge from 90 yards. The divot nearly went as far as the ball, but when the ball hit the ground, I got a few yards more of roll But of course, this wasn't Sunday at the Masters on number 12.
And I'm guessing that there was not a huge creek between you and the green.

Old 04-11-2016, 06:31 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I do have to say that while he was obviously in pain that he was quite gracious in defeat and composed given the situation (at least outwardly). I'm sure we'll see him hoisting a trophy again soon.

Old 04-11-2016, 07:17 AM   #18
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Watched the whole thing yesterday and didn't surprise me to see Jordan have a blow up hole especially after the third round finish. The person I always felt sorry for was Norman, you talk about being snake bit, it is still painful to watch how he self destructed Sunday on the back.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:22 AM   #19

Quote:
And I'm guessing that there was not a huge creek between you and the green.
Haha, actually I would have been short of the creek! Jordan's was nearly short of it, too.

Sent from my XT1254 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 04-11-2016, 07:25 AM   #20

Quote:
I do have to say that while he was obviously in pain that he was quite gracious in defeat and composed given the situation (at least outwardly). I'm sure we'll see him hoisting a trophy again soon.
Yeah, he has an amazing ability to recover, both during the round and after!

Sent from my XT1254 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app