The meaning of Rich

I have many guns some I inherited but shoot very little. I do bow hunt though and spent about 170 days bow hunting last year and 120 days fishing, hiking. It is the adventure for me not the harvest of an animal. Having all the time to do what I want is rich to me.

It's not the killing of the fish that I crave so much as the serenity of fishing.

Now the eating of a fish the same day as it swam...that's as good as it gets - :)

It appears that the man in the quote has a lake to float the boat, and land to hunt.
That may be harder to find than a fishing pole and a gun.

Me neither. Just a little outboard for fishing.
Get a Boston Whaler. An 11 foot boat is $16K. Plus motor and fittings. Blow through some dough!

Rich to me is not worrying about running out of money in your life time while keeping the life style you desire. That's my definition and YMMV. Per my self serving definition, I am rich. :)

Wow - never expected to hear people support the idea of access to guns as part of having a rich and fulfilling life!

Lucky I am never likely to live in a country where I could get access to a gun - but I feel I have a rich life.

I still love one of our poster's tagline.
I am not rich, I am a poor man with money.

I have everything I need and most of what I have ever wanted. I am rich.

Wow - never expected to hear people support the idea of access to guns as part of having a rich and fulfilling life!

Lucky I am never likely to live in a country where I could get access to a gun - but I feel I have a rich life.

Now, how's that song go? "Happiness is a warm gun ...." It just proves happiness is subjective and is what you make it. Personally, I have 0 guns and still feel happy. I do have 6 TVs spread all over my house not to mention 4 laptops & 3 desktops. I am truly (tech) rich. :D

Guns sure don't make me feel rich they are just more stuff. I will say I beleive a lot of people raised in rural or western states may have grown up around hunting etc. and those people are more likely to have guns. I could be blowing smoke but I was raised up around them.

Heard recently:

To feel rich, don't compare your life to your neighbors. Compare it to your ancestors.

All my adult life, the families of my 2 sisters in law made about 3X what we did. They didn't really have or do a lot more that we did, they just spent a lot more on it.

Not sure 'rich' is the right word. As Chris Rock said: "Rick James was rich!!" but died bankrupt having spent it all on the wrong things.

Wealth on the other hand is something that maintains itself. IMO, wealth provides the means to insulate one from problems, both large and small or not enter into your life in the first place. I just flew first class last night...quite happy to have had the 'insulation' (a notable event in 25C).

Yes, I do have a good sized boat and, after 40 years with big boats do look forward to having the 'second happiest day of my life' some year soon.

Rich to me is being content with the life you have, your chosen level of FI, and being surrounded by loved ones who are also content.....it's not all about about $$, but it sure helps the dream.

Lifestyle and a big bank account are 2 different things. And defining "big bank account" is relative. So you have a mcmansion, BMW, summer estate and are miserable and maybe in debt. That's not rich IMHO. Living life to its fullest, whatever that means to you. Could be fishing all day or gardening in your backyard or skiing in the Alps.

Exclusive: Alex Honnold Completes the Most Dangerous Free-Solo Ascent Ever. ... Rock climber Alex Honnold training on Freerider for the first ever rope-free climb of El Capitan...now that's rich. Can't wait tho see the documentary. It won the Oscar.

Exclusive: Alex Honnold Completes the Most Dangerous Free-Solo Ascent Ever. ... Rock climber Alex Honnold training on Freerider for the first ever rope-free climb of El Capitan...now that's rich. Can't wait tho see the documentary. It won the Oscar.

I agree - that’s rich. Being able to do whatever you want when you want. I saw the documentary on Alex’s pursuit- I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone so at peace with their life.

When I say grace tonight at supper, holding my wife of 40 years hand. And then get up at 5:30 am in the morning to head off on a week long road trip we planned yesterday. I'll feel very rich that she's been my best friend for most of my life!

Free-climbing terrifies me (to even observe!).:(

When I say grace tonight at supper, holding my wife of 40 years hand. And then get up at 5:30 am in the morning to head off on a week long road trip we planned yesterday. I'll feel very rich that she's been my best friend for most of my life!

Sounds like you are!

Back
Top Bottom