Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-10-2008, 12:48 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

[quote=CuppaJoe;711921]
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
I can imagine that working if said unnerwear was damp, but having watched sugar ants running around in the nuker for protracted times i doubt lethal microwave effectiveness on an itty bitty dry product like yeast cells. Perhaps something to do with ants being shorter than the normal 2.5 gigahertz microwave oven wavelength? Or maybe sugar ants lack much fat or water to absorb the waves. I'm sure there are engineeers on board who can speak with authority to this.[/QUOTE
-
Hope not, Ewwwww! This could be a job for the SPCA.
Yeah, lemme hear your PETA cries when you are nuking a donut and see the little buggers racing around and laughing at you. While eating ants is a good way to boost folic acid and B vitamin intake i'm generally agin having them for breakfast. They, however, have no compunctions about getting to my breakfast before i do. Wee sneaky devils!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2008, 01:16 PM   #22

Boric acid might work to eliminate the little buggers still left untouched by the microwaves! Sprinkle it in the backs of your cabinets and where the counter and backsplash meet. Works for me!
I am still not imagining any scenario where my step ins are going in the microwave.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 01:45 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

[QUOTE=calmloki;711962]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post

Yeah, lemme hear your PETA cries when you are nuking a donut and see the little buggers racing around and laughing at you. While eating ants is a good way to boost folic acid and B vitamin intake i'm generally agin having them for breakfast. They, however, have no compunctions about getting to my breakfast before i do. Wee sneaky devils!
-
I've been found out again! I don't own a microwave oven but can't imagine re-heating a do-nut at all. I'm a purist, my do-nuts must be fresh from this bakery window:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1581.jpg (504.1 KB, 1 views)
Old 09-10-2008, 01:58 PM   #24

just one word for you, hyphenated: Krispy Kreme.

Only the southerners will understand. Good lord, I'd run over my mother for a hot fresh Krispy Kreme doughnut!

Old 09-10-2008, 02:20 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post

Only the southerners will understand. Good lord, I'd run over my mother for a hot fresh Krispy Kreme doughnut!
-
Me, too. Is Krispy Kreme still in business? Didn't changing market conditions ruin it? That dirty expression: low carb diets, or was it Atkins?

Bring on the bacon! "At last, Gwendolyn!" I mean B A C O N!
Old 09-10-2008, 02:39 PM   #26

Oh, yeah, still in business, I think there were some folks that got in heaps of trouble with the SEC back when, so I don' t know enough to speak about their stock--all I know is the doughnuts and my, they are tasty. I do think their huge expansion plans ran up against all that healthy eating stuff.

But enough of this chatter about doughnuts and bacon, lets talk about inflation.

Old 09-10-2008, 05:09 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
But, since this is actually kind of an creepy topic around our house, any chance that the microwave is dangerous to human-types?
A microwave's 2.4 GHz RF output is designed to agitate water molecules to the point of boiling. So microwaves are only dangerous to things with water in them, like human cells. Otherwise, no problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
Nords, do you always wake up after a nap on all 32 cylinders firing?
Yup. Usually with a classic-rock soundtrack playing in my head, and Eddie Van Halen on guitar. But I've mellowed considerably over the last few years...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Or maybe sugar ants lack much fat or water to absorb the waves. I'm sure there are engineeers on board who can speak with authority to this.
Yup again.

In the submarine force we learned that ants and cockroaches are largely immune to the effects of ionizing radiation, too. But it's not much fun having to enter the reactor compartment with both dosimetry and pesticides... Naval Reactors gets awful touchy about what products can be used in there.

Quote:
Hawaii too. The state's only KK is in Kahului, so the local airlines ship them interisland fresh every morning. KK hands out plastic bags with rectangular bottoms so that several boxes can be carried onto a flight, and the local airlines occasionally impose a two- or three-box limit per passenger. (It probably depends on how many boxes are set aside for the flight crew.) Groups actually sell them by the box on streetcorners for fundraisers.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 07:21 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I do think their huge expansion plans ran up against all that healthy eating stuff.
Around here they ran into several problems:

1) Their donuts were almost $8 a dozen. The little local donut shops charge about $5 tops. Supermarket donuts are around $4 a dozen.
2) Their donuts were about half the size of the little local donut shop donuts
3) Marked lack of bacon in the product
4) Insufficient glazing. One should be able to sweeten an entire pot of coffee with one dunk of a glazed donut

Otherwise they were good.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 10:15 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I was referring to some people's penchant for microwaving their undies to kill yeast in a sly, yet cute, way.
I wonder how they discovered that. Did someone get really confused about a recipe?

------------

I don't want to replace our 16 year old microwave because it has a great feature that the general public apparently wasn't able to appreciate or understand: A temperature probe. I just stick the probe into the food, set the temp, and the microwave heats it to that temp and holds it there.