Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-13-2008, 05:26 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sounds quirky-cool to me. My kinda role model. I do think a part of learning to FIRE is to "think different" and be willing to do things that other people think of as deprivation.

Quote:
I've said to them it's not how much money you make... it's what you make with your money.
Ahem!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2008, 06:40 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have to agree with you. Thinking out side of the box. Is what this man did so much different that which is advocated in "Your money or Your life"?

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:54 PM   #23

Good article thanks for posting it. I don't think he's weird but I don't have a TV either. No cell phone etc. I must admit friends are always trying to convince me to buy one or the other. I just recently bought a refrigerator because my dog became a diabetic and I needed to store her insulin. But it's apartment size. But I just don't see the need for that stuff at the moment. Maybe later... Oh I do have a microwave and lots of books... too many.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:40 PM   #24

He really didn't expect others to pick up his bills or slack. He seems to just have lived the quiet, unassuming, frugal life he wanted to. How can I argue with that? His lifestyle wasn't for me, but I don't have millionS either now...cough.
Must have been a mistake in this article saying when he got out of 8th grade at 16 y.o.?
Old 01-14-2008, 01:14 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Must have been a mistake in this article saying when he got out of 8th grade at 16 y.o.?
Could this be why he has never read a book? Or why in spite of having millions, he doesn't find anything attractive enough to spend it on?

Ha
Old 01-15-2008, 06:38 AM   #26

Great article - shows a much different lifestyle than that of the normal successful person. I couldnt live without tv though.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:49 AM   #27

The only thing that occurs to me is something about that 11 dollars per hour mentioned in the article. Is that in today's money adjusted for inflation. If that is not the case then that puts a whole different spin on this man's story.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:28 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Frugal

CBS News' "Assignment America" Friday segment covered the $11/hr millionaire this evening.

The video is here:

CBS News Video

The text version is here:

A Generous Gift From A Frugal Giver

NotSoonEnough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 10:06 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Now that I've seen the video, he seems like a normal guy. Drives an SUV.

If I heard right, he must have saved about $3 million total.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:36 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Great article - shows a much different lifestyle than that of the normal successful person. I couldnt live without tv though.
I like life without TV. Life without books, on the other hand, is unimaginable.
Old 01-19-2008, 07:57 PM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice View Post
I like life without TV.
No TV = No Golf Channel. No can do.
Old 01-20-2008, 09:32 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

I thought it was funny how his stockbroker slithered in there and took some of the credit. Check it out:

"Paul has always been the perfect client. He gave me money and never took it out," said his broker of 20 years, R. Douglas Smithson, senior vice president for investments at Wachovia Securities in Vineland. "He took my advice, he stuck to a plan, and he reaped the benefits of it."
Old 01-20-2008, 12:21 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattusbabe View Post
The only thing that occurs to me is something about that 11 dollars per hour mentioned in the article. Is that in today's money adjusted for inflation. If that is not the case then that puts a whole different spin on this man's story.
I had that thought too... $11 actual dollars per hour decades ago would have been decent pay. As with most "human interest" journalism there is clearly a lot of spin going on.
Old 01-20-2008, 01:09 PM   #34

"… Fact is, this frugal retired factory worker would never spend money on new clothes, vacation or swanky meals…"

I guess the money for the ceremonial dinner came out of the sky.

If you look at the video and observe the quality of the facility where the dinner was held it becomes obvious that the recipients of the gift are anything but frugal.

I have the greatest respect for this guy, his attitude and accomplishment. If there’s a sad part to this story it’s that after all his work to accumulate his fortune it’s likely that a good portion of it will be wasted after all.

In addition, the news reporter commented that Mr. Navone had about a million dollars of his savings remaining. If that comment is correct, and it may very well not be, then there's something fishy about the story considering the analysis performed by some of the other posters to this thread.