The Most Annoying Foibles of your Family/Relatives

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Most of the members of my family do what we call "Speaking Louise" (named after my mother). That is, they'll say something assuming you know what they are thinking about.

"Well, I found it, but only after watching the movie."

"Are you speaking Louise?"

Sounds cute, but it's annoying.

My sister is a know it all . Last year she moved to Florida after a brief visit to a few locations . I tried to offer some friendly advice since I've lived here for fourteen years . She just ignored it because she knew it all . Whoops , she is now living in an isolated area which her husband detests and she needs to travel forever to get to civilization .

My sister is a know it all . Last year she moved to Florida after a brief visit to a few locations . I tried to offer some friendly advice since I've lived here for fourteen years . She just ignored it because she knew it all . Whoops , she is now living in an isolated area which her husband detests and she needs to travel forever to get to civilization .

At least it sounds as if she gets experiential feedback on her impulsiveness. Eventually it may help.

From where I sit know-it-all-ism seems to be very common among medium bright but insecure people. It is annoying, but there are definitely worse traits they could have. Like a leaning toward murder. :)

Ha

Murder...that's one major foible.

Some of my relatives only call me with bad news. Every time I look at the caller i.d. and see their name, I wonder 'who died'.

My father LOVES to give advice, even when no one asks for it and he also has this habit of being a devil's advocate.
My mother still tells me to wear a jacket when she is feeling cold!

My FIL and MIL are stubborn about letting us buy lunch or dinner. They always want to pay. Guess they earned that right but geez.

My father LOVES to give advice, even when no one asks for it

Let me tell you how to handle that...

My FIL and MIL are stubborn about letting us buy lunch or dinner. They always want to pay. Guess they earned that right but geez.

I wouldn't complain! My MIL always assumes I'm buying lunch or dinner. And likes to invite others, such as BIL and his DW, along! :mad:

My family/relatives can be found on the "How bad is the weather today" thread. It is soooo hot and/or humid where they live that I don't have to visit them in this season. That balances out their many and varied foibles unless that arrive on my doorstep to escape their chosen lands.:nonono: :hide: :eek: :greetings10:

My family/relatives can be found on the "How bad is the weather today" thread. It is soooo hot and/or humid where they live that I don't have to visit them in this season. That balances out their many and varied foibles unless that arrive on my doorstep to escape their chosen lands.:nonono: :hide: :eek: :greetings10:
Cousin Joe! :D

My father LOVES to give advice, even when no one asks for it and he also has this habit of being a devil's advocate.
That's my Dad too. And he likes to ask opinions of my sister and I (respectively 60 and 55 yrs old), and then tell us why we're wrong (often). I stopped [-]listening[/-] acting on what he says for the most part about 30 years ago (OK, the day I turned 18) - but that hasn't discouraged him from telling my sister and I. He even changes his mind about things, but doesn't seem to remember his previous stance. But then, I'll probably be an old fool one day myself (DW says already?).

And what was that answer TromboneAl?

And what was that answer TromboneAl?

I was going to give you some advice, but I decided against it.

Opposite extremes here.

Part of them are usually too drunk (or high) to have a serious conversation with......I try to avoid them when I can.

The other part are usually trying to convert me to a fundamentalist religion.......and I try to avoid them when I can.

They think because I am in the military I am an extreme conservative. The delivery of this "fact" comes at awkward times (friend visiting for dinner states, "wow, you are not what I expected of a conservative Republican") My response: "Mom!!!! STOP telling all your friends this!"

I do think they are a bit fruity - but still very cool. They are improving with our ages! (and my brother's mistakes!!)

My sister is into all sorts of pseudo-science & quackery & wants to give advice on such.

My sister is into all sorts of pseudo-science & quackery & wants to give advice on such.

Sounds like my Mom. In her case, the pseudo-science is Scientology.

Note: I don't intend to insult any Scientologists here. Then again, I doubt there *are* many Scientologists here, because a steady income is required to pay for all those "courses" and auditing. :rolleyes:

Opposite extremes here.

Part of them are usually too drunk (or high) to have a serious conversation with......I try to avoid them when I can.

The other part are usually trying to convert me to a fundamentalist religion.......and I try to avoid them when I can.
That should make for a VERY interesting family reunion....:angel:

Opposite extremes here.

I think we are from the same family.

However, I enjoy hanging out with my drunk family members. Much more fun! :ROFLMAO:

I think we are from the same family.

However, I enjoy hanging out with my drunk family members. Much more fun! :ROFLMAO:

Heh....family gatherings could be pretty entertaining at times. Similar to watching lava when it reached the ocean.
crazy.gif

My mother (83 years old) will watch any sport on TV and expect to see someone she knows. She'll say something like "Cousin George is going to the Masters golf tournament...I wonder if I'll see him on TV?" If I went to the Red Sox game, she'd spend the evening trying to spot me in the crowd.

In her defense, she does seem to run into someone familiar everywhere she goes. Once she was on vacation in Canada and walked up to a woman, saying "Don't I know you from somewhere?" Turns out that she did! :D

Back
Top Bottom