The most wonderful thing about retirement?

Orchidflower

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I just realized--since I'm not working now--that the most wonderful thing about retirement has to be for me, anyway, the fact that when I'm sick I can actually either stay in bed or just watch tv all day and sleep in the chair. No more draaaaagging myself into the office, propping myself up with telephone in hand and working with a fever, no more nasal sounding calling when I have a cold, no more resting for an hour at lunch and dragging myself back into the office. Ahhhhhhhh.....THIS is the life!!!:D:D:D And, for me, this is the biggest advantage to not working anymore. Let me wipe that smile off my face......hummmmmmm......

Good post. I worked many a day when I was sick - it was the company culture. Ironically, I'm almost never sick now that I'm retired.

Is that what you've been doing, Orchid, nursing the flu? We missed you here!!!! I hope you feel better soon.

Yeah, I caught a really bad cold and it occurred to me how wonderful it was not to have to go into work.

I forgot not having to deal with the millions of employee problems and clients' problems--altho I really enjoyed it when I felt well I admit. But, when you aren't feeling up to snuff it's a drag.

Having a hypo-assertive personalitiy I´m glad to have ridden myself of all the hassle that was inherent to my job. HR manager, go figure:)!

The most wonderful thing about retirement is being rid of the *ssholes. Amen.

I have been sick for the last 6 to 8 weeks. I cannot seem to shake it. It would be awfully nice to collapse until it goes away, but I have this damn job...

Good post. I worked many a day when I was sick - it was the company culture. Ironically, I'm almost never sick now that I'm retired.
Not that ironic, really. Obviously you were sick of your job, although I bet you probably still enjoyed the work.

Also, in my case, I hardly ever get sick since I started working from home. If I do get sick, it's usually never more than half a day which I attrubute to not being exposed to all the germs in a regular office.

I was in the waiting room at my physician waiting for a blood draw. The place was filled with sick children/people. I just tell myself, you are healthy, I am perfect whole and complete.

Now I am just waiting for a bug to get me.

I think the most wonderful thing about retirement is now I can time my drive/errands to when it's right for me. Don't have to fight in traffic on the evenings/weekends like everyone else.

Get well soon Orchid :flowers:

At least you can laugh about it this time :LOL:

i thought this thread was about the best thing about retirement not how sick you are?

the best things for me is no commute, no dealing with a$$holes, no politics and i can do what i want when i want every day. :LOL:

All that, plus..... NAPS! I never liked naps when I was a little girl, so this has been my first exploration of the glories and wonders of naps.

zzzzzzz.....
6978-albums71-picture641.gif

OrchidFlower, I hope you feel better soon! :)

All that, plus..... NAPS! I never liked naps when I was a little girl, so this has been my first exploration of the glories and wonders of naps.
Yep. Before retiring the only real experience I had with naps was on the very rare occasion when I was home sick. Now it is really nice to be able to take a short snooze whenever the mood strikes me.

We send people home if they are sick. No one wants to catch something brought in by a co-worker. We can't afford it. We also have free flu shots given at the office.

So there's gotta be something more wonderful about retirement than not going in when sick and not commuting. I might as well keep working if that's all that you promise me. :)

Hope you feel better soon babe. Most wonderful thing about retirement? Well, you all know I often think in terms of music, so here goes. Being free to do what I want - any old day.

YouTube - I'm Free x Rolling Stones

Today? Slept in to about 8, went up to the animal shelter and helped out for a few hours, brought home 2 new kittens to foster, shared a great dinner with DH, enjoyed a nice glass of red wine, watched some old movies on TV, and just felt wonderful:)

On the subject of naps, I think they are right up there in the top 5 FIRE recreation activities. Especially the 15-20 minute kind, maybe in the favorite recliner, or maybe in bed. I'm partial to late afternoon but have been known to do a morning-evening double header (esp back when I was wo*king).

Surefire precipitating events: golf on TV, Discovery Channel discussing the masai mara (again), a steady rain outside, a jog earlier in the day, and on and on. Love naps.

So there's gotta be something more wonderful about retirement than not going in when sick and not commuting. I might as well keep working if that's all that you promise me. :)

LOL! I wouldn't dream of letting you in on the true joys of RE, not even if the dream was during a day nap. :D

What ever happened to that thread you were going to start for people who love their j*bs?

snip...... So there's gotta be something more wonderful about retirement than not going in when sick and not commuting. I might as well keep working if that's all that you promise me. :)

'K, how 'bout eating lunch @ 10 AM, just 'cuz you felt like it?

Deciding to eat lunch at 10 AM does seem a bit excessive to me... so on mornings when I feel like an early lunch, I'll hold out to 10:15, which seems a perfectly reasonable time to me :D

You covered my favorites. Losing my awful commute is #1, followed by not needing to awaken myself via alarm clock and being able to nap whenever I want (and every day around 3:30 PM). Being able to expand my hobbies and do my errands during the middle of the day on weekdays to avoid the more popular evenings and weekends are also big plusses. Other smaller but useful things are usually being around to sign for packages, being able to get together with friends on weeknights other than Fridays, and being around for midday visits by outsiders such as the building's super and the cable guy.

I have been sick for the last 6 to 8 weeks. I cannot seem to shake it. It would be awfully nice to collapse until it goes away, but I have this damn job...
One of my still working friends got sick 14 months ago. I'm pretty sure she won't be sick anymore when the New Year arrives. You may be, count your blessings.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom