Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-09-2009, 05:37 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Rustic, I wouldn't mind having a little ruckus like yours, but the missus frowns at me having already too many toys. I would take it out on a trail, but suspect its frame would not be strong enough.

Here is a picture of its big brother, the Big Ruckus.

I also have been drooling over this little Honda Motra. Sadly, it was never imported into the US. Now, THAT'S A TRAIL BIKE.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2009, 06:05 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I wouldn't mind having a Big Ruckus. However, they seem hard to find and as far as I know they don't make them anymore.

I don't take little Ruckus off road, well off golf course, but it is a hoot to ride to the mail box 2 miles away, and you can't beat the 100 mpg. I have had it less than a year and put 2,000 miles on it and never left the sub-division!

If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:33 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

I've never actually owned a Ruckus, but I've raised one or two.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:38 AM   #64
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
I wouldn't mind having a Big Ruckus. However, they seem hard to find and as far as I know they don't make them anymore.

I don't take little Ruckus off road, well off golf course, but it is a hoot to ride to the mail box 2 miles away, and you can't beat the 100 mpg. I have had it less than a year and put 2,000 miles on it and never left the sub-division!
I really wanted a Big Ruckus, but they did quit making them. A few where here and about but the prices were way above book.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 09:28 AM   #65
Give me a forum ...

The Ruckus looks fun. Similar little scooters were the preferred vehicles in Seoul when I was there--a great way to get around on base, and (for the daring) for short trips into town.

But, this is where I guess I diverge from the herd. If I were thinking about buying a Ruckus to use for short trips, I'd probably end up buying something like this restored Honda Mini Trail 70.

Less expensive, a lot of fun, and a genuine conversation piece. And, I'd get to tinker with it constantly to keep her on the road.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:22 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Ah! Finally, another CT-70 enthusiast. Here's my post on another thread about this fun little bike.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
How about something like this, a classic CT70 for trail riding? I know, I know. Some of you will sneer at this. But it is a lot more fun than many will admit to.
Here's the link to Stanley's site (a CT70 enthusiast)

Stanley Buck With His 1970 Ct70 Mini Trail 70
Over the last Xmas, I saw a CT-70 in the local craigslist and snatched it up for $650. Had been watching for it a long time. The only things it needs immediately are new tires, and it will be ready for the trail. I do not have a picture of it handy, but it's a 1979 in good shape. In that year, the color is non-metallic yellow, with solid (non-folding) handle bars.

People used to carry this bike in the back of their RV, and I will do the same someday (need to get an RV next )

The CT-70 and the ST-70 (European version) are still popular in Europe, where there are fan clubs all over. See this rally in Tenerife. I so want to take my little bike there to join them.
Old 06-21-2009, 03:58 AM   #67
Dryer sheet aficionado

My wife and I took the MSF course six years ago and highly recommend it. We're off to South Dakota and Kansas this week for a two-wheeled vacation. Here's our Suzukis...

Old 06-21-2009, 09:17 AM   #68
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Ah! Finally, another CT-70 enthusiast. Here's my post on another thread about this fun little bike.

Over the last Xmas, I saw a CT-70 in the local craigslist and snatched it up for $650.
CT 70s sure have a cult following. I bought one in the early 90s, an 1980 version that someone kept on their sail boat for town excursions. Hardly used. I bought it for $400. About 8, 10 years later I sold it for $800. I learned that people use them for racing and the buyer souped it up for that purpose. I do regret selling that bike. But I regret selling almost all my bikes.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 11:10 AM   #69

A little video I made a couple of weeks ago on my FJR !

Old 06-22-2009, 12:55 PM   #70
Full time employment: Posting here.

Nice video frayne. I've seen enough other camera on bike videos to know that they don't always turn out that well. Nice and smooth with no wind noise. Easy to watch. You did a good job with the music track too but I was straining to hear the engine instead. From what I could hear, it was pretty obvious that your bike was barely awake. It sounded like you were holding about 80% of everything in reserve. I never road an FJR but I am aware of their reputation for astounding power
Old 06-23-2009, 07:29 AM   #71

Thanks, and you are correct about holding back on the FJR.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:48 AM   #72
Full time employment: Posting here.

I meant to say rode not road. I'm so embarrassed.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:34 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Yeah...smooth video frayne. DH is still struggling with the camcorder trying to get the "jitters" out of it.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:06 PM   #74
Confused about dryer sheets

Live to Ride/Ride to Live

You've discovered a great way to fight aging. I staring riding out riding a 600cc Honda Shadow 3 years ago and moved up to HD Heritage Softail a year later. It's been the greatest retirement venture I've found yet. Enjoying life more than ever. Live to Ride, Love to Ride.
Ride Safe, Walt!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Heritage Softail 007.jpg (700.3 KB, 4 views)
Old 08-08-2009, 05:51 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Biker buddies met up in OK today to plan a trip to CO. There will be about 100 bikers going on the CO trip. DH is the one on the left.

What a motley crew!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00713.jpg (435.8 KB, 7 views)
Old 08-08-2009, 08:57 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Biker buddies met up in OK today to plan a trip to CO. There will be about 100 bikers going on the CO trip. DH is the one on the left.

What a motley crew!
While we are on the subject--what is the allure of a group ride? Being on a motorcycle is a very liberating thing--there's a feeling of freedom (as they say--like flying but on two wheels). Getting together in a pack just seems anathema to the everything I enjoyed most about riding. Imagine if a bunch of people sprouted wings and the first thing they decide to do is have an airborne committee meeting. Let's all ride the same speed, take the same road, stop at the same places. And, it's not very safe. I'm sure there are many more accidents/mile on these group rides than in solo riding, it is very common to see stories about multi-vehicle accidents during rides for charity, etc. When I rode I tried to keep a good distance from cars, and to always leave myself a way out if someone did something unexpected/stupid. Deliberately placing other bikes in close proximity (especially two abreast) doesn't seem the smartest way to keep healthy.

I know folks enjoy these group rides a lot, but I could never see the attraction. Anyway, I'm glad we have the freedom to choose.
Old 08-08-2009, 09:30 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Being a loner, I never care for male bonding but to each his own.

I myself enjoy riding through forest trails more than on the highway. If I get hurt, it's all my fault instead of some stupid car drivers.
Old 08-08-2009, 09:45 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

sam...

DH has done a few of those charity rides and he's not that crazy about them as they are group rides. Especially when you have bikers with different temperaments and riding skills. Normally he'll ride at the back of the pack.

The CO trip will involve bikers from all over the US. So, there won't be 100 bikers riding together all the time. They will come from different areas as my DH will be leaving with one buddy, then they'll meet a couple of guys on down the line. I'm not too worried about him as he's not a show-out and he has a mind of his own. Most of the time he rides country roads by himself. If he feels too crowded during the trip, he'll lag behind.

Like you said, we have the freedom to choose.
Old 08-09-2009, 02:36 PM   #79

I enjoy a ride sometimes with one or two others, but more than that starts to feel like a crowd. Usually someone knows of a scenic route or a good place to stop that the others don't know about. And always, we discuss separation/safety issues beforehand. These are not ego trips.

For the most part though I go by myself.
Old 09-09-2009, 02:33 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

DH got back from a trip to CO last week. He put 2400 miles on his bike. Here are few photos....

1. Biker bud and DH at 5:00 a.m. headed out on their journey
2. Picking up buddies along the way
3. Other club members

DH chose not to ride with the large group; he and four other buddies rode together. He had a great and safe trip.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00730.jpg (412.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00743.jpg (520.6 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00750.jpg (549.8 KB, 2 views)