The Motorcycle thread

Walt34

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
I know I'm not the only one who thinks motorized two-wheel riding is fun. Despite my nurse SIL's opinion, who calls it a "donorcycle", she didn't know what to say when I told her that statistically I was more likely to die as a result of a hospital error than riding a bike.

Anyway, this is what Santa brought for me a few weeks ago:

Attachments

• Me and bike.jpg
    Me and bike.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 24
  • Right side rear.jpg
    Right side rear.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 276
  • Left side.jpg
    Left side.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 13
Sweet ride, man, very sweet. My eyes aren't as good as they used to be, so what year and manufacturer and model is it?? Just had double-hip replacement surgery 2 months ago, cause I couldn't even throw my leg over a bicycle anymore. Everybody thinks I really want to ride that bicycle, but what I've got my eyes on are the 76 Harley FLH and 79 Yamaha 650 sitting in my garage. Course they haven't been ridden in almost 10 years, so I expect I'll have a summer of rebuilding (if I get the time) before I can be puttin' down the road.

I know I'm not the only one who thinks motorized two-wheel riding is fun. Despite my nurse SIL's opinion, who calls it a "donorcycle", she didn't know what to say when I told her that statistically I was more likely to die as a result of a hospital error than riding a bike.

Anyway, this is what Santa brought for me a few weeks ago:

Nice bike, Walt. I too, think motorcycles are fun. I've been riding motorcycles since I was 13 years old in Vietnam. Started out with the 50cc Honda Cub, graduated to the 125cc Honda Scrambler, then 150cc Lambretta.

Came to the USA in 1978 and restarted riding with a 125cc Honda, then 400cc Honda, then 535cc Yamaha, before settling down with a 250cc Suzuki. I don't like riding fast, and I rarely get on the highway.

Hey, I like the statistic you cited. Is it from a reliable source? Do you have a link to it? My M.D. doctor sister is giving me subtle disapproval about the danger in bike riding and I need to set the record straight.

Sam

I had a series of bikes from when I was 19 until 39. Then had DD and got instantly chicken of riding. I sure do miss it some times tho.

Last bike was a fully customized 2001 Harley Davidson Road King, police model. Painted fire engine red, fully chromed out, custom Corbin saddle, chubby bars with internal wiring, stainless steel lines, etc.

I'll cry if I start adding up how much I spent on that bike.

Attachments

• Jun12#02.jpg
    Jun12#02.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 9

Yeah but does hospital error include letting someone ride home on a motorcycle after waking up from general anesthetic?

I've been riding around on a suzuki savage 650 since october and have put on a couple thousand miles. There's nothing like riding 70 in 33 degree weather in the rain.

Way cool Walt! I'm glad you finally posted a pic of you and that bike....:D Santa was very good to you!

Come on down to the flat part of TX and I'll race ya.....

Attachments

• flsts 3.jpg
    flsts 3.jpg
    612.3 KB · Views: 9
No need to throw your leg over

I ride a Suzuki Burgman AN650. This has a step-thru frame, plus a CV (automatic) transmission, and thus technically putting it in the 'scooter' category.

Well, OK, if you're willing to accept 2 cylinders, 650 cc displacement, 110 mph top speed and ability to cruise at 75-85 mph all day, with gas mileage about 50 mpg (and I'm 6' 8" at 275 lbs.). Spare electrical power available for heated clothing. Oh, yeah, and massive under-seat and glove-compartment storage.

If you added a side-car, you'd not even have any problems of balance.

Just my 4 cents worth (inflation, you know).

Statistics are like a bikini. What they conceal may be as important as what they reveal. Don't have the facts to back it up (and since I don't have a bike, I guess I only concentrate on the hospitals - and trying to stay out of them.:cool:) but I would bet there are more people who use hospitals than use bikes. On that basis alone, you would expect at least a higher potential "accident" total (not rate) in hospitals than on bikes. Additionally, hospitals are for folks who are already sick. In most cases, you really need to be there, even if they are understaffed and/or prone to mistakes. Few of us are "required" or "need" to ride bikes.

Having said all that, I think bikes are cool and, when I was young, I nearly bought one. So don't take this as a criticism of bikes, bikers or biking. It's just that I question your stats. (I promise not to tell your SIL!!:angel:)

. . . Came to the USA in 1978 and restarted riding with a 125cc Honda, then 400cc Honda, then 535cc Yamaha, before settling down with a 250cc Suzuki. I don't like riding fast, and I rarely get on the highway.

Sam

I had a 400cc Honda Hawk. I learned to ride when I was 19, and took it on the LA freeways nearly every day. It was a very good commuter bike--small enough to "split lanes" on the freeway (which was legal, if stupid, in the early 1980s) and quick enough to out-accelerate most cars, which is an important safety feature. I'm sure I cut a dashing figure on my orange-red Hawk with its Comstar wheels and my white Bell Star II helmet.

Lots of fun, and cheap transportation for a starving college student. I gave it up when my Dad died and my responsibilities increased.

Similar, but not mine:
cb400tII.jpeg

I had a 400cc Honda Hawk. I learned to ride when I was 19, and took it on the LA freeways nearly every day. It was a very good commuter bike--small enough to "split lanes" on the freeway (which was legal, if stupid, in the early 1980s) and quick enough to out-accelerate most cars, which is an important safety feature. I'm sure I cut a dashing figure on my orange-red Hawk with its Comstar wheels and my white Bell Star II helmet.

Lots of fun, and cheap transportation for a starving college student. I gave it up when my Dad died and my responsibilities increased.

Similar, but not mine:
cb400tII.jpeg

That's it. Mine was red. I bought it used in 91 for $400. Rode it for about a year, and sold it for $600. ;-) It wasn't just cheap, it was generating income!

408379888kHtOdo_ph.jpg

Sam

It's a 2008 Suzuki C90T, 1462 cc. It comes with the windshield and saddlebags, I added passenger floorboards, driving lights, engine case guard (aka crash bars) and luggage rack, for my lunch box.

Make sure you put new tires on those 10-year-old bikes before you ride them!

Sweet ride, man, very sweet. My eyes aren't as good as they used to be, so what year and manufacturer and model is it?? Just had double-hip replacement surgery 2 months ago, cause I couldn't even throw my leg over a bicycle anymore. Everybody thinks I really want to ride that bicycle, but what I've got my eyes on are the 76 Harley FLH and 79 Yamaha 650 sitting in my garage. Course they haven't been ridden in almost 10 years, so I expect I'll have a summer of rebuilding (if I get the time) before I can be puttin' down the road.

Hey, I like the statistic you cited. Is it from a reliable source? Do you have a link to it? My M.D. doctor sister is giving me subtle disapproval about the danger in bike riding and I need to set the record straight.

Sam

The stat came from Proficient Motorcycling: The Ultimate Guide to Riding Well, 2nd edition, by David L. Hough.

A very good read. Chapter one gets right into accidents and what causes them. Forty per cent of fatals involved a DWI rider. Even in my teens I wasn't that stupid!

Another interesting one is that the highest accident rate involves riders with between 24 and 36 months experience; second highest is riders with 0 to 6 months. Apparently overconfidence is something to beware of.

My first impulse was to say "Sure!" But then I noticed you're in Minnesota. Minnesota in February on a motorcycle.... ouch!

The air temp here is 9 degrees. I saw FOUR Harleys on the road on my way in. My guess is that the heated gloves and saddle and footwell heaters are cranked up..........:LOL:

My guess is that the heated gloves and saddle and footwell heaters are cranked up..........:LOL:

That's on my "to-do" list, but DW wants a new kitchen floor first.

Even though it's the color she picked out, and I told her that the light color would show every speck of dirt, but did she listen? Noooo.

I suggested a mud color and got the eyeroll.:D

Similar, but not mine:
cb400tII.jpeg
Thanks for posting the photo. That is exactly like my bike, same color. I bought it in new $800 from the showroom floor, delivered to my house. Still have it and ride it. As you noted, it is a remarkably fast bike for its size.

Perhaps someone could help me out. I'm 56, want to learn or at least try to ride a mc, where do I start. Wife is against it, but who cares?

Any suggestions!

jug

I have been riding motorcycles for around 35 years - I love to ride!

A few months ago I bought the Can-am Spyder Roadster - it has 3 wheels - 2 in the front. It is very stable...and very fast(it has the Rotax 1000 motor, same as the Aprilla superbikes)! It has VSS (vehicle stability system) and ABS - it is a blast to ride and very much a motorcycle experience - but much safer.
Here is a link to see what they look like:

BRP Can-Am Spyder Roadster

Wife is against it, but who cares?

jug

I like your attitude.

There are plenty of orgs that teach motorcycling riding. Here's one:

Motorcycle Safety Foundation

It's very easy. Much easier than riding a bicycle. Start out with something non-intimidating (250cc), low seat. The hard part is not riding the MC itself, but learning to deal with the traffic.

Sam

Perhaps someone could help me out. I'm 56, want to learn or at least try to ride a mc, where do I start. Wife is against it, but who cares?

Any suggestions!

jug
Most cities will have some form of motorcycle school,which in my area consist of a big rig full of 250cc-500cc bikes that shows up at a predetermined open area and instructors teach you how to ride a bike..

Glad the OP has elected to wear a helmet,wise man.

The stat came from Proficient Motorcycling: The Ultimate Guide to Riding Well, 2nd edition, by David L. Hough.

A very good read. Chapter one gets right into accidents and what causes them. Forty per cent of fatals involved a DWI rider. Even in my teens I wasn't that stupid!

Another interesting one is that the highest accident rate involves riders with between 24 and 36 months experience; second highest is riders with 0 to 6 months. Apparently overconfidence is something to beware of.

In a motorcycle magazine I read not too long ago they said that a large number of accidents are middle aged/older people who come back to riding after years of not riding.

The air temp here is 9 degrees. I saw FOUR Harleys on the road on my way in. My guess is that the heated gloves and saddle and footwell heaters are cranked up..........:LOL:

My cousin's spouse who is in his late 60's came back late November from a trip to California on his Beemer and it was 7 below zero when he arrived home. Blech! Even with headed seat, heated grips, and heated Aerostich vest.

Yeah, the MSF classes are really great. Start there.
I've seen many of those 3 wheeled bikes. A local Bombardier dealer also sells them. Interesting machine.

Back
Top Bottom