Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

The new Dirty Dozen: 12 foods to eat organic and avoid pesticide residue
Old 06-23-2010, 11:02 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The new Dirty Dozen: 12 foods to eat organic and avoid pesticide residue

The new Dirty Dozen: 12 foods to eat organic and avoid pesticide residue | Yahoo! Green
Quote:
1. Celery
Celery has no protective skin, which makes it almost impossible to wash off the chemicals (64 of them!) that are used on crops. Buy organic celery, or choose alternatives like broccoli, radishes, and onions.
2. Peaches....
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2010, 11:09 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I do prefer to eat organic food when it is available. Thank goodness we are in full Farmer's market mode here in western PA....lots of the vendors display certified organic signage. As I understand it, fruits and veggies you eat with the skin on is better organic.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 11:15 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Wow--who knew?
Old 06-23-2010, 03:46 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Unfortunately they don't put the 'clean 15' list of products where there is little difference between organic and commercial in a readable format, it's a slide show:

Save Money On Organic Fruits And Vegetables - Low Pesticide Foods - thedailygreen.com

Also, I question the usefulness of their list. They rate celery the 'worst', because they could detect 64 different chemicals. The list seems to be based on number of chemicals detected, rather than the amounts weighted by the toxicity of those chemicals. Is .037 parts per BILLION of something a concern? Maybe, but they don't seem to address that at all.

And how did they choose what to look for? As I recall, the guy who came up with these tests was finding all sorts of things we used on crops were carcinogenic. But then he started looking at the crops themselves, and he found that the naturally occurring chemicals in the crops were carcinogenic! Thousands (millions?) of times more than what was added by the commercial growers. These are sometimes the plants own defense against insects, molds, etc.

I just wish lists like this informed us rather than just made some kind of headline. I don't see much in the way of actionable information there.

Unfortunately, there can be a downside to organic also. So this isn't always a harmless decision. For example, to raise some crops w/o weed killers, the farmers till the field, water it so the weeds sprout (using water and diesel to pump the water and creating more soil erosion), then they till it again to rip out the weeds (using diesel fuel for the tractor, and causing more soil erosion), and then they plant the crop. Oh, and then they need to plant additional acreage to make up for the time they waited for the weeds to sprout - more water and diesel and erosion). I'm not sure that is a 'green' alternative or not?

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote