Join Early Retirement Today

The new Star Trek
Old 05-25-2009, 09:37 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The new Star Trek

Oh yeah! A big two thumbs up - revisit all your old friends. Remember Captain Pike in the wheelchair/enclosure who could only answer questions with a yes or no light? Sulu? 'Course you do! Reactivate all those old synapses - two hours well spent.
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2009, 10:09 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Ok, now that is a different review. I have a sister who is a Trekie.....convention attender, costumes, memorabilia collector, can quote the tech manual verbatum and knows 99.5% of the trivia.......you know nut case . She said it sucked and was not worth seeing. Too many detail in error.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:12 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I think your sister is the minority, although for a hard core trekkie maybe not.

I saw it with my buddies, all trekkie, in Vegas we all loved it.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 01:41 AM   #4

I think the sister is so into it that she can no longer see the forest for the trees and has lost the fun factor,definitely needs to lighten up. .As someone who enjoys all Star Trek shows/series i found the movie lots of fun and very entertaining,looking forward to future sequels and hopefully any TV spinoff series
Old 05-26-2009, 06:35 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I loved it. And I look forward to seeing it again, then buying the DVD when it comes out.
I am not in your sisters level of 'trekdom', perhaps more of a casual Trekkie (I know Kirk's original middle initial).
The more hard core trekkies I do know all enjoyed it. I do know of one other guy on another forum that hated it.
The possibilities after this movie are fun to think about. They really did reinvigorate the entire trek universe.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:43 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I thought it was well done. The kid playing Captain Kirk captures the essence of Shatner without going over the top. The others - Spock, Scottie, Sulu ,etc) are good too. I think we are all set for a set of great sequels.

Angles and Demons, on the other hand, was just OK but not good.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:32 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Went to the early matinee yesterday. The place was packed with couples in their 50s. My kids have not seen Star Trek before and just don't "get it". Almost every line was a classic from the past. I need my frequency monitored by Uhura. 2 thumbs up!
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 07:39 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
The kid playing Captain Kirk captures the essence of Shatner without going over the top.
Then obviously he did not capture the essence...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 07:48 AM   #9

We took the kids to the Space and Rocket center in Huntsville last weekend and saw it there in IMAX. It was good and our 10 year old really liked it. It was a nice ending to the visit there.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:50 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I thought it was well done. The kid playing Captain Kirk captures the essence of Shatner without going over the top.
How can you do Kirk without going over the top?
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:02 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I enjoyed the movie.
However, it reduced Star Trek into action charaters.
Those who understand the franchise know at its hart it is a morality play. The original series had many episodes that were cutting edge for its time and reflected or gave insights to the issues of its time.
None of these things were present in the current film. As such it was hartless.

So I think many who enjoyed it did so for the nostalgia - as did I.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:28 AM   #12

I've seen every episode that both Kirk and Picard are in but haven't seen the new Star Trek yet, I hope I'm not dissapointed.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:32 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I know many of my core beliefs were shaped by the original Star Trek. I stay away from the irresistible green Orion slave girls, and if i got a line of dialogue at a new job i never ever wore a red shirt. We enjoyed the humour of the new movie and felt it avoided delivering the jokes in a campy way - felt it struck the right balance of un-self aware humour and respect without slavish adherence. They played it straight. But i was never a serious Trekkie - closest i got was some Spock ears around Halloween.
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:33 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

I loved it too. When I was 13 I had a thing for Mr. Spock. The girl in front of me in homeroom had a transcript of "Amok Time", the episode where Spock"s Vulcan hormones start to rage. She let me borrow it to copy (by hand mind you) so I hid in the garage until my mother left for work, and then instead of going to school, spent the day writing down every word. The new Star Trek had a freshness I remember from the first time I ever saw Star Trek on tv. FUN!!!!
shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 01:03 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

I enjoyed the new Star Trek. DW and I are suckers for any action adventure movies so this did not disappoint. Like others not a hard core Treky but have seen all the movies and most of all the series episodes. We had been anticipating this release since Battlestar ended (If you have not seen this - it is a very good series). I too picked out a few inconsistencies with the old series - but I would rather see the franchise get cranked up again with some creative license rather than fade away.
Old 05-26-2009, 01:32 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe View Post
I loved it too. When I was 13 I had a thing for Mr. Spock. The girl in front of me in homeroom had a transcript of "Amok Time", the episode where Spock"s Vulcan hormones start to rage. She let me borrow it to copy (by hand mind you) so I hid in the garage until my mother left for work, and then instead of going to school, spent the day writing down every word. The new Star Trek had a freshness I remember from the first time I ever saw Star Trek on tv. FUN!!!!
Me too. My profile lists Mr. Spock as childhood idol.
I actually met William Shatner when I was younger (12 or 13 I think). He was starring in a local play ("There's a Girl in My Soup") in my home county near NYC. My father interviewed him in his dressing room for the county radio station. I was too young to see the play, but he signed my Star Trek club photo of him and shook my hand. I was awestruck! Swoon...

I was going to see Star Trek tonight but the mouth soreness after the tooth repair today put a hold on that.
Don't tell me too much about the new movie!
Old 05-26-2009, 04:14 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattusbabe View Post
Ok, now that is a different review. I have a sister who is a Trekie.....convention attender, costumes, memorabilia collector, can quote the tech manual verbatum and knows 99.5% of the trivia.......you know nut case . She said it sucked and was not worth seeing. Too many detail in error.
too many errors CAUTION!!! SPOILER ALERT!!!

The plot was ingeniously contrived to have the large romulan vessel come through a wormhole from the future. So the ships actions caused events to change in the now alternate reality that was this movie. So all discrepencies and errors can be explained away by this occurance. It was brilliant!
novaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 04:44 PM   #18
Dryer sheet wannabe

Although I am not a die-hard Trekie (Trekkie?), I enjoy the premise enough to have read books set in the Star Trek universe (most notably, those by Vonda McIntyre and Diane Duane). I enjoyed the way [most of] the books I read emphasized and played upon the troika of Kirk, Spock and McCoy.

So, I went to see the movie. Heck, it's STAR TREK!!

At first - HATED it! Nothing was working...

Then, I realized what the screenwriter(s) and director had done and realized that, IMHO, they did the only thing they could. Else, you'd just have new actors playing Shatner, Nimoy and Kelley. Yeah, that'd be fun to watch! Not!

So, by the end of the movie, I was VERY pleased with it and look forward to more.

Of course, the next movie will have to have a more involved plot - versus "just" [re]introducing the characters - to keep bringing everyone back.

But - if they can do that ... Star Trek lives on. Awesome!

Just my $.01 (recession, you know).

Marilyn
Old 05-26-2009, 05:41 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

I enjoyed it - especially with the earplugs I brought to the theatre.

SPOILER ALERT
;;;
;;;
;;;
;;;
;;;
;;;
;;;

it was fun seeing Uhura as a brilliant young hottie, and who was fortunate enough to be her target ...

yum.

ta,
mew
mews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 05:45 PM   #20
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe View Post
I loved it too. When I was 13 I had a thing for Mr. Spock.
Oh yeah, I had a severe crush on Leonard Nimoy. I thought I was the only one. I even had his record album.

My son took me to see the movie on Mother's Day. We both enjoyed it!
Sue J is offline   Reply With Quote