Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-22-2007, 02:51 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9 View Post
Crusing around with the top down is awesome, I wouldn't give it up for anything.
Sunscreen. Lots of it...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2007, 03:43 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Mazda Miata and a guy over 50 driving it screams middle age crisis.
Sorry it does not work.

Old 06-22-2007, 04:02 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy888 View Post
Mazda Miata and a guy over 50 driving it screams middle age crisis.
Sorry it does not work.
Yeah, well the guy or gal we're talking about does not work, (s)he's an ER and an ER is a rebel and does whatever they want! Be a rebel and do what you want newguy!
Old 06-22-2007, 05:44 PM   #24

Just back from Honda dealer - they had a S2000 out front for $35K 20 city 26 Hwy..that's 2x my coupe price.. I want a convert, but I'm such a frugal guy that I would breakdown and cry while writing the check...until they come down in price I'll just have to roll all the windows down and stick my head out the window like my basset Lily.
Old 06-23-2007, 01:58 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
Al, did the bunny put that pancake on your head?

Dangit al...first you give away all my investing secrets, now you're predating my pancake bit by a good 35+ years.

Can I at least point out that in 1971 when that photo was taken, I was all of ten years old?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 02:33 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaCollector View Post
Absofrigginlootly! DW has had a BMW 325 convertible since 2001...I actually just got home with it this evening (from daughter's field hockey game) and I actually got to drive it and it DIDN"T need gas

I also owned a (then) 15 year old MGB that I kept for 10+ years...it's nickname was "Adventure"...'cause that's what you went on every time you drove it ~ never knowing where it might strand you next ...still FUN to drive!
I drove an MG for 13 years. Low mileage because it spent so much time in the shop.
Old 06-23-2007, 02:36 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Sunscreen. Lots of it...
And wear a hat!

Nothing worse than a sunburned head.
Old 06-23-2007, 07:27 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
And wear a hat!

Nothing worse than a sunburned head.
That's an absolute truth!!! Been there...Done that!!! Out on a boat on the river in New Orleans.....in the summer....with my bald head uncovered....for several hours! OUCH!!! Complete with blisters!

I think I'll stick to hard tops just to be safe!
Old 06-24-2007, 02:37 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte View Post
.... and it would mess up my hair.
Charlotte
well it does mess up your hair, but then that free spirit wind blown look is what you want anyway.
Here's a showroom picture of mine, and as others have said .... it's more fun to drive then you can imagine.
As to the mid-life crisis.....I have a hottie comment on it at least once a month, and sometimes once a week. Keeps the blood pumping both on and off the road.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wallpaper93c_1a.jpg (32.5 KB, 3 views)
Old 06-24-2007, 06:46 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Sunscreen. Lots of it...

That's my problem Nords. I gave up smoking (pack a day habit) cold turkey, seriously it wasn't that hard for me. I stopped drinking other than a couple beers a week (which doesn't really count) but I can't get on the sunscreen thing.

All summer long I have a golden brown tan on my face and arms and I get yelled at by all of my relatives. I know I should be wearing sunscreen, I just hate putting the stuff on. My wife the nurse tells me I'm going to hate skin cancer more, but I'm stubborn.
Old 06-24-2007, 09:47 AM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Good thing you dont live in my neighborhood. You go outside around here without sunscreen and a hat on, you spontaneously combust.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 11:43 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9 View Post
I know I should be wearing sunscreen, I just hate putting the stuff on. My wife the nurse tells me I'm going to hate skin cancer more, but I'm stubborn.
FWIW the sunscreen options have gotten a lot better over the last few years. There are a lot of SPF 30-50 options that are non-greasy, non-smelly, and sweatproof. The worst part of "no sunscreen" is being ambushed by a harsh sunburn on the first or second day of vacation and having to spend the rest of the time staying out of the sun. We can walk along Queen's Beach or White Plains Beach surveying the crowds and noting "Well-done, crispy, medium, well, oh, look, a medium-rare newbie!"

I usually wear a lifeguard hat for yardwork but I can't surf without sunscreen every two hours. If I could find a decent surfing hat I'd start wearing one.

After five years here my PIL went through a couple carcinoma surgeries, one of which could best be described as "excavation". They're fine but I suspect that scare contributed to their decision to move back to the Mainland.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 12:19 PM   #33

We just purchased a Honda Pilot. Get 24 mph. It is our only car, we live 30 miles from WalMart. Have the 2 wheel drive model. Runs most of the time on 3 cylinders. Paid $2,000 under invoice. Big cars are not in favor now. At $3 a gallon it cost us $16 a month more for gas. Suprise our insurance went down $28 from the 1999 Toyota Camry.
Old 06-24-2007, 03:46 PM   #34

Started wearing a Tilley this year -
Old 06-24-2007, 05:14 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Good thing you dont live in my neighborhood. You go outside around here without sunscreen and a hat on, you spontaneously combust.

It's all about location. I live in Chicago, we have the same reaction to a sunny day as a desert nomad would to an iceberg.