Join Early Retirement Today

The Next Time You Buy, Lease or Steal a Vehicle
Old 06-21-2007, 05:05 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The Next Time You Buy, Lease or Steal a Vehicle

What will you choose and what are you looking for in the future wheels...economy....power to haul bigger things, to look younger...to be cooler...I just went with the Honda Civic Coupe - my first not so practical car in 25 years (vans, station wagons) but yet it's still not a Porsche though is it
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2007, 05:50 PM   #2
Gone but not forgotten

I've never wanted a convertible but they are suddenly appealing to me .Maybe the saturn Sky or the VW EOS or a Mustang
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 06:13 PM   #3

I looked at the Mazda Miata when I was 'shopping' last fall. It's a very useless impractical vehicle for me, but it was kinda fun to drive. I showed it to my 80 year old mother, and she really liked it!

I bought a Chevy HHR instead......it's a fun ride....and more practical for my use. (I can haul 8 foot 2x4's, landscape supplies, and plants in it with ease....as well as luggage when we travel......and 30+ mpg.)

Mom says she's going to buy a Miata when she's ready to trade!

BTW, DanTien, that IS a sharp looking ride!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 06:16 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Right now, I'm leaning toward a Honda CR-V. I like the new design.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:30 PM   #5

in about a year, we're gettin the prius - SO has a killer commute and therefore, killer gas bill!
Old 06-21-2007, 06:46 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

DanTien,
I tried to convince my wife to buy a Carrera GT instead of building our house but she wasn't going for it.:confused:
Old 06-21-2007, 06:54 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Are convertibles as fun as they look?

So tell me, someone who has a convertible, are they as fun as they look? I, too, look wistfully at all the Miata's, and the MGs and the VW convertible bugs and the Toyota Solara (sigh), and I visualize carefree fun. Guess I been driving my mom-mobile for too long (mini-van). Someone please tell me it's not as fun as it looks.
Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Convertables Are Fun
Old 06-21-2007, 07:19 PM   #8

Convertables Are Fun

DW has a Mazda Miata. Her first car was an MGA and I once had a Datsun 2000. All were fun, the Mazda is also reliable. With the top down I get the mororcycle 'hit' which could be lifesaving. She will part with it when I pry it from her cold, dead hands. Some cars are just a lot of fun, ask us about our 1985 VW Westfalia camper.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:09 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I will be looking for something reliable and fuel efficient. Right now, I have a Camry Solara (not the convertible since that would not be so great in the New Orleans heat, rain, and humidity). My next car will probably be a Camry Solara too, though I might go with a Corolla for purposes of saving $$$ and LBYM.

A car is just something to get from point A to point B. I hardly spend any time in it at all, so I see no point in spending a lot of money on it. When I buy my next car, I will be retired (barring the unforeseen). I plan to walk a lot more and drive a lot less than I do now.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 08:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte View Post
So tell me, someone who has a convertible, are they as fun as they look?
Absofrigginlootly! DW has had a BMW 325 convertible since 2001...I actually just got home with it this evening (from daughter's field hockey game) and I actually got to drive it and it DIDN"T need gas

I also owned a (then) 15 year old MGB that I kept for 10+ years...it's nickname was "Adventure"...'cause that's what you went on every time you drove it ~ never knowing where it might strand you next ...still FUN to drive!
VaCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 10:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
I looked at the Mazda Miata when I was 'shopping' last fall. It's a very useless impractical vehicle for me, but it was kinda fun to drive. I showed it to my 80 year old mother, and she really liked it!

I bought a Chevy HHR instead......it's a fun ride....and more practical for my use. (I can haul 8 foot 2x4's, landscape supplies, and plants in it with ease....as well as luggage when we travel......and 30+ mpg.)

Mom says she's going to buy a Miata when she's ready to trade!

BTW, DanTien, that IS a sharp looking ride!
.... and with the right pair of RayBans I would look sharp driving it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arif View Post
DanTien,
I tried to convince my wife to buy a Carrera GT instead of building our house but she wasn't going for it.:confused:
I hear ya! my wife thinks with her brain too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaCollector View Post
Absofrigginlootly!
I like that word!
Old 06-21-2007, 11:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoyT View Post
Right now, I'm leaning toward a Honda CR-V. I like the new design.
I do to, it's a head turner..

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakers View Post
DW has a Mazda Miata. Her first car was an MGA and I once had a Datsun 2000. All were fun, the Mazda is also reliable. With the top down I get the mororcycle 'hit' which could be lifesaving. She will part with it when I pry it from her cold, dead hands. Some cars are just a lot of fun, ask us about our 1985 VW Westfalia camper.
I raised the subject of a more sporty car with DW this eve..." I guess it would be nice to have a small red sports car convertible, but I'd have to get something for my hair"
Old 06-21-2007, 11:43 PM   #13

Quote:
So tell me, someone who has a convertible, are they as fun as they look? I, too, look wistfully at all the Miata's, and the MGs and the VW convertible bugs and the Toyota Solara (sigh), and I visualize carefree fun. Guess I been driving my mom-mobile for too long (mini-van). Someone please tell me it's not as fun as it looks.
I have a 1999 Mercedes CLK320 cabriolet. It is black on black and very fun to drive. I feel (and look!!!) like a twenty year old celebrity when I am cruising with the top down and my wife! My lord, she looks like a nubile young teenager!! But, alas, my days of carefree cruising under the open air are coming to an end. I am selling this little cream puff with only 55,000 gentle miles and in cherry condition for the low low low price of $16,000!! What's it gonna take to get you in this baby here is a photo of a white one...now imagine yourself driving it ...and get out your checkbook.....why deny yourself?? ....
Old 06-22-2007, 06:09 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Convertibles ARE fun?!?!

Quote:
Absofrigginlootly!
Rats, I think I am going to cry now. I was kind of hoping that someone would say that a convertible would be a hassle, that the roof would leak and it would mess up my hair. That way I wouldn't have to pine for one as a little run-around car, and I'd get it out of my system. Oh well. I'll just keep pining, for now.

Charlotte
Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 07:20 AM   #15

Quote:

100%! They are more fun than you can even imagine.

My Honda S2000 is simply my most favorite possession. I only drive it during the summer (usually only on weekends) and I smile every time I hit the start button. Crusing around with the top down is awesome, I wouldn't give it up for anything.
saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 08:15 AM   #16
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yours truly in my 1960 MGA (photo taken in 1971). Only convertible I ever owned. Note rusted rocker panels, cool facial expression, sideburns. Bought it for $500.
MGA.jpg

Hey, I'm glad this thread prompted me to remove that photo from the photo album, because I hadn't realized there was something on the back of it. Most of our photos were lost in a fire, but I sent this to someone, who returned it to me after the fire. "I had to do a little work on it" refers to the fact that it broke down the day I bought it.

MGAPostcard.jpg
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 08:23 AM   #17

Al, did the bunny put that pancake on your head?
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 08:28 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 12:39 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Rats, I think I am going to cry now. I was kind of hoping that someone would say that a convertible would be a hassle, that the roof would leak and it would mess up my hair. That way I wouldn't have to pine for one as a little run-around car, and I'd get it out of my system. Oh well. I'll just keep pining, for now.

Charlotte

My sister has a Miata and said it is a '5 mile car'.... it is great if you are only driving within 5 miles of your house... but she loves those 5 miles...

I have ridden with the windows down and the sun roof open.... and it is to much noise and to much wind... and with the heat here.... not fun either... so I look at the converts... and then pass them by...
Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 01:24 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaCollector View Post
Absofrigginlootly!
I'll second (or third or fourth) that! A childhood buddy still drives a classic Fairlane convertible hardtop, red with white interior, of course, in perfect shape, clean engine. Yeah, it really is fun to get out into the wind and smell that "fresh country air."
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote