Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Re: The obesity epidemic
Old 10-05-2006, 01:11 PM   #241
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclarksnakes
I don't think he was apathetic or defensive. He seemed truly happy to be a big guy who got plenty of attention BECAUSE he was so big. BTW, he was about 5'8" inches tall.
jc
apathetic..... about being overweight. If he's happy about it, I think its a safe assumption that he doesn't care that he's overweight, is all i'm saying.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2006, 01:12 PM   #242

Nords: Who wasn't a hard body at 14? I agree with the joint abuse statement though. I hurt

Old 10-05-2006, 08:26 PM   #243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha

Oldbabe, you might look at strength training too. I am trying to improve my strength and build muscle. I am very much a wimp.
Martha,
I did the Body for Life program for a year and worked with a personal trainer. I put on a lot of muscle, most of which I still carry around, which makes my BMI almost too high. I'm not flabby, even though overweight. And I still weight train every week but not with as much poundage as I did several years ago. If you haven't checked out the Body for Life plan, the web site is pretty interesting with its startling before and afters.

OldBabe
Old 10-06-2006, 01:21 AM   #244
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Bummer. I want muscles like this:

There's a relatively easy way to get there...break a leg.

My wife was on crutches last year for 6 weeks, and she refused to let them slow her down. Went everywhere with them.

She's in decent shape, but thin on top. With the crutches, she quickly buffed up, and looked just like LH in T3...what a turn on. There's something very sexy about a chick that can kick your ass.

I thought about busting her other leg when she got off the crutches.
Old 10-06-2006, 09:58 AM   #245
Dryer sheet aficionado

Re: The Atkins Cancer Revolution - Dr. Joel Fuhrman

Quote:

I am very serious about this. Why do we form societies and communities if not to help each other out? I am so tired of the "rugged individualist" attitude of I'm fine, screw you.
I'm with you on that.

The difficulty comes in finding any significant minotiry to agree on a plan or solution, let alone a majority.

Personally, as a believer in the inherent sinfulness of man, and a redeemer who will one day set all things right, I think these issues stem from an incorrect worldview. Fixes on the outside deal only with symptoms.

We should do the best we can to help with the symptoms in the meanwhile, but the problem will resurface somewhere else until the root cause is fixed. Of course, people like to write me off as a religious nut, which is fine by me. LOL

Old 10-06-2006, 11:09 AM   #246
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclarksnakes
I don't think he was apathetic or defensive. He seemed truly happy to be a big guy who got plenty of attention BECAUSE he was so big. BTW, he was about 5'8" inches tall.
jc
If so, I would find it unusual. I still think he could be posing. http://calorielab.com/news/2006/07/0...n-combination/

Behavioral science has finally lowered into its grave the coffin bearing the “jolly fat person” myth. A Harvard Med School study of 9,125 adult American men and women has found that “obese” and “joie de vive” go together like sandpaper and skin.

Some numbers to chew on, if you must chew on something –

An obese individual is 25 percent more likely to suffer some mood or anxiety disorder such as depression. If you are a Caucasian American with a higher education, the number can soar up to 44 percent. While the average American stands a 30 percent chance of being obese, the average depressed American’s chances run up to 40 percent; and whereas 20 percent of Americans in general are diagnosed at some time in their lives as depressed, the percentage of obese Americans thus diagnosed is 28.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Old 10-06-2006, 11:16 AM   #247
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube_rat
Linda Hamilton looked srawny/anorexic back in 91.

<sigh>
It comes down to 3 things in this order: 1) genetics 2) diet 3) exercise. Notice exercise is number 3. Genetics rule.
Thanks for your story Cube. As a 51 year old and genetically nothing like Linda Hamilton, I have no expectations of ever looking muscled. I just want to be more fit and stronger, so I am working on it.

Old 10-06-2006, 11:22 AM   #248
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks for your story Cube. A 51 years old and genetically nothing like Linda Hamilton, I have no expectations of ever looking muscled. I just want to be more fit and stronger, so I am working on it.
if genetics DON'T rule, we better make number 3 number 1...............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
Old 10-06-2006, 11:23 AM   #249
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks for your story Cube. A 51 years old and genetically nothing like Linda Hamilton, I have no expectations of ever looking muscled.
Speaking as a man, I don't get the attraction of defined muscles on women. If I liked sinewy sex partners, I would go gay.

Ha
Old 10-06-2006, 11:27 AM   #250
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
Speaking as a man, I don't get the attraction of defined muscles on women. If I liked sinewy sex partners, I would go gay.
Ha
Where can I buy splash guards for my computer screen? Because all the soda I'm spitting on it is taking a toll.................

Ha, you could go female bodybuilder, and stay away from men............

Old 10-06-2006, 11:29 AM   #251

ooooo FIREME, I don't know if you are a religious nut or not.. but I am up to my elbows in this with "Right-Wing Sis". Seems when it's Bush on health care/SS, or Stockman on economics.. she's all "personal responsibility." But give her a school shooting and it's all the fault of "evolution" and "godless liberals".. if it weren't so .

"Rugged individualism" has its merits, but has also given us a gun-crazy, F-U culture. The wimpy "godless" Europeans manage low murder rates and attempt to take care of their societies' weaker members.

Strangely, Darwin gets a bad rap from the God-Fearing folk in the US, yet Darwin has a heavy hand in their social policies, whether they acknowledge it or not.

So... FIREME... will we all have "hardbodies" in the afterlife? (As a semi-reluctant believer, I sincerely hope not!!!)

Disclaimer: DH and I just started yoga classes last week. We are "listening to our pelvises" and hope to become, if not thinner, at least more flexible and aware of our bodies, our 'mortal coils'...

Ha, there IS that risk, you know.. I hear they are indoctrinating new pages members as we speak!
Old 10-06-2006, 11:37 AM   #252
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Ha
You're sweet.

Old 10-06-2006, 11:38 AM   #253

I for one would not believe ANYTHING my pelvis said to me!

What does yours say? LOL!
Sarah

Old 10-06-2006, 11:44 AM   #254

Quote:
What does yours say?
It says: "F***! Nothing else you've done in the last 40 years of your perverted life has made me cramp up like this.. Cut it out already!!"
Old 10-06-2006, 12:17 PM   #255
Give me a forum ...

I have nothing to add..............we are going places men aren't allowed...........

Old 10-06-2006, 12:28 PM   #256
Give me a forum ...

For a man, I have unusually good pelvic flexibility, I think from studying Afro-Cuban Dance. I can squat barefooted, with my heels down, and only have 4" between my butt and the floor. I can also comfortably stay in this position a long time.

Yesterday I was hammering and I didn't have knee pads, so I just squatted till I finished.

Ha
Old 10-06-2006, 12:49 PM   #257
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelfina

So... FIREME... will we all have "hardbodies" in the afterlife? (As a semi-reluctant believer, I sincerely hope not!!!)

No, but hopefully we'll be enlightened enough not to seek to medicate ourselves with food, sex, drugs, work, money, and whatever else our "drug" of preference is.

Some folks have it "together" better than others. It's the border line OCD types like me that struggle.

Hopefully the one who created it all will in the end make sense of the mess or at least be large enough that we don't need to understand it all or have sense made of it.

And as far as the RR goes, remember there are plenty of true believers (specifically, God loving Christians) who are not mindlessly controlled by the rhetoric of those who claim to speak for all.

OT: Please change channels for those not interested in my philosophical musings....

In my personal opinion, religion is something man created to control other men. Jesus came to bring relationship between the Creator and the created and to liberate us from ourselves and Sin. If God is God, He is perfectly able to get His desires for you across without me having to insist you follow what I say He says. I just get to tell the world that God loves them and that the cross is proof of that. What they do with that is between them and God. (That is not to say we should not have a society based on law so that we don't kill or mame each other in the process of living.)
Old 10-06-2006, 12:51 PM   #258

Quote:
Some numbers to chew on, if you must chew on something –

An obese individual is 25 percent more likely to suffer some mood or anxiety disorder such as depression. If you are a Caucasian American with a higher education, the number can soar up to 44 percent. While the average American stands a 30 percent chance of being obese, the average depressed American’s chances run up to 40 percent; and whereas 20 percent of Americans in general are diagnosed at some time in their lives as depressed, the percentage of obese Americans thus diagnosed is 28.

[/i]
So are they depressed because they're obese, or do they become obese as a symptom of depression? I'd guess at least some of both.

I can only speak for myself, but if i allowed myself to become obese, i know i'd either become depressed myself or i'd do something about it.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:05 PM   #259
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azanon
So are they depressed because they're obese, or do they become obese as a symptom of depression?
Some anti-depressant medications actually cause obesity.

Ha
Old 10-06-2006, 01:14 PM   #260

Quote:
Some anti-depressant medications actually cause obesity.

Ha
I'm sure that's true, but if we're just talking about depression in general, i seem to recall from general psychology, that people respond differently in depression, including some people actually eat less and lose weight; in some cases dangerously so.

When i feel depressed (admittedly i've never been clinically depressed), i personally responded by sleeping more, taking a nap, and I personally feel full because my stomach gets tight due to whatever is making me feel down at the moment.