Join Early Retirement Today

The old dog..
Old 09-11-2017, 08:05 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The old dog..

She's 11, breathes had after any exert ion ...the kids wanted a dog and as expected she immediately became mine. There's a bump on her side and below and dam she's just old. Like me. At some PT there will be decisions to be made. Bury the old gal in the back yard? but in truth (don't laugh) if we move I wouldn't want to leave her. Two knee replacements and she was always there.

I have no idea but I'd like her ashes mixed with my own... cremation
is that terribly expensive?p

rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2017, 08:08 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post
...creation is that terribly expensive?
That's a God question right there.

Charter resident of the lumpen slums of cyberspace

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
The old dog..
Old 09-11-2017, 08:10 PM   #3

The old dog..

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post

I changed the spelling I expected better from you.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post

I changed the spelling I expected better from you.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:14 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

All in good fun, lighten up...

Charter resident of the lumpen slums of cyberspace

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 08:54 PM   #6

We have had all of our dogs cremated. It is pretty cheap, $200? We have each dog's ashes in a wooden container with their picture on the front.

It is hard letting go. Only you will know when the time is right.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:05 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free To Canoe View Post
We have had all of our dogs cremated. It is pretty cheap, $200? We have each dog's ashes in a wooden container with their picture on the front.

It is hard letting go. Only you will know when the time is right.
Ditto, we have done the same with the pets.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:49 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

We did the cremation and box on the mantle, but also got a shadow box made with the dog's collar, paw print cast, and a picture (got it made at a local craft store).
I notice / look at the shadow box hanging on the wall a lot more than the box sitting on the mantle.

Lots of examples of shadow boxes here.
Google image Search shadow box pet memorial
Old 09-11-2017, 09:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Ditto, we have done the same with the pets.
Ditto, I have done the same with all my cats in the past.

Ray, I'm not laughing about you not wanting to leave the old girl behind if you move. I completely understand. That's why none of my cats are buried in the back yard, but rather they all "reside" in their urns on the bookshelf.

In each case, I was offered two options. Option one: individual cremation, which is exactly what it sounds like. With that choice, my pet's ashes were returned to me in a beautiful wooden container, marked with their name and the date.

Option two: group cremation, where several pets are cremated together, and the ashes are not returned, but the crematory scatters the ashes in a designated area.

Option one is more expensive than option two. I wanted my feline friends returned to me, so it was option one for me.

My heart goes out to you hearing that you have reached the point where you need to consider these decisions for your faithful friend. You are wise to do your research now, rather than under emotional distress when the time comes. Your vet should be able to explain all the options to you, as well as the costs. They deal with this on a regular basis.

FYI, my vet handled everything each time, and about a week later they notified me the ashes were ready to be picked up. They also mailed me a bill rather than expecting me to deal with the financial aspect when picking up the ashes, because they know it is an emotional time, and people (speaking from personal experience) are just trying to hold it together at that point.

Your dog is lucky to have you as her pet parent.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post
She's 11, breathes had after any exert ion ...the kids wanted a dog and as expected she immediately became mine. There's a bump on her side and below and dam she's just old. Like me. At some PT there will be decisions to be made. Bury the old gal in the back yard? but in truth (don't laugh) if we move I wouldn't want to leave her. Two knee replacements and she was always there.

I have no idea but I'd like her ashes mixed with my own... cremation
is that terribly expensive?p

Ray, Lets not lose hope yet. Do NOT bury her in the back yard. As usual I have a story. My old partner decided he was going to sell his house of 30 years, he told me he didnt know if he could do it as he didnt want to leave Sasha and Lola behind. I was a bit confused but I let him finish his story. I asked him who was Sasha and Lola, he said his faithful companions of the last 30 years that he buried in the backyard when they died. He eventually sold the house and moved to Vegas, he was very, VERY, upset about leaving them behind. The cremation isnt big bucks. If you decide to get cremated ask your heirs to mix the ashes with yours. Im going the in the ground way I think. I asked my wife to put half of our Dogs ashes with me, just put a baggie of ashes in my suit jacket before they close the coffin.

Hey Ray, If there is a Heaven and Im allowed to enter, Im 100 % positive they will be waiting on the Rainbow Bridge to cross over with us.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 10:50 PM   #11

I buried four in my backyard so far. Maybe one more in ~5 years. One (maybe two) I had to put them in the freezer for a few months until the ground thawed.

Cremation is OK, but I question on the integrity of the cremation places. Taxidermy or cloning is another option.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 10:52 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
........... One (maybe two) I had to put them in the freezer for a few months until the ground thawed..............
This has to be a hit with guests looking for a midnight Popsicle treat.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:58 PM   #13

Cremation is not expensive and I do that after that last trip to the vet.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:21 PM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

We have 5 resting in our bedroom. Like others, the plan is to mix our ashes together when we go. In our area, the cost was just over $300 for a large dog. I'm sure it's cheaper elsewhere.
akck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 11:43 PM   #15

In my area, the local humane societies will arrange to have pets cremated for a very reasonable price -- significantly cheaper than the vet.

For the last two dogs we put down, we had a traveling veterinarian come to our home to perform the euthanasia. The vet's office was always a stressful place for our dogs. I didn't want it to be the last place they saw.
Mr._Graybeard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 12:18 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._Graybeard View Post
For the last two dogs we put down, we had a traveling veterinarian come to our home to perform the euthanasia. The vet's office was always a stressful place for our dogs. I didn't want it to be the last place they saw.
One of our Goldens is scared to death. He's a Mommy's boy and will climb up on Momma lap. The other one loves it there. To the point that she doesn't want to leave. The front desk has started commenting on her liking it there

She is also the one that now is Dx with one blind eye. We think she is 14. And bad hips. Itchy skin. (no we don't call her Lucky...LOL) Before long we are going to need to make some decisions. She is happy today. that is what counts

Our last Golden was 15.5 years old. His ashes are on the mantle. With some pictures. Mrs Scrapr took him 2X's to a Mrs Cleo for doggies. She said he liked our vacation home. Mrs scrapr never told her about our vacation home. So that is where he resides
Scrapr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 06:50 AM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I buried my golden retriever at a friends place in the country. A very pretty setting. With my current dog I'm sure I will cremate him. He's 90 lbs and would take a hole the size of a human. Last time I burried a human in my backyard it wore me out.

My lab is 9 years old but he is still in good shape. Hopefully he's got a few more years left in him. Hope I've got a few more too.
Old 09-12-2017, 07:59 AM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yesterday we had one of our dogs euthanized, she will be cremated. We have only one dog left with us now. Jasmine was 16, we got her from the animal shelter in 2005 when she was about 4 years old. Individual cremation here is about $200. Once our last dog goes, we plan to bury all the remains we have (6 dogs) here on our place along with a couple of alpacas and cats we've lost along the way. We certainly understand the feeling that we wouldn't want to move and leave these guys behind.
davemartin88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 08:09 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Our sweetest, second dog loved to ride in the car so we just put her ashes in the trunk for a few years. Now she's out on a shelf in our shed, with the ashes from our third dog. Our first dog was pretty mean but we loved her anyway; I don't remember the vet even offering cremation back then but she would have had a place on the shed shelf too. Our current dog is surely our last one and if she goes before us maybe we'll take all the ashes to a little lake we know and let them all float away--I don't want our kids to have to deal with them, though, so maybe we'll sprinkle the ashes we have before then.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:13 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemartin88 View Post
Yesterday we had one of our dogs euthanized, she will be cremated. We have only one dog left with us now. Jasmine was 16, we got her from the animal shelter in 2005 when she was about 4 years old. Individual cremation here is about $200. Once our last dog goes, we plan to bury all the remains we have (6 dogs) here on our place along with a couple of alpacas and cats we've lost along the way. We certainly understand the feeling that we wouldn't want to move and leave these guys behind.
I'm so sorry for your loss.

Jasmine looks like a sweetheart.