Join Early Retirement Today

Re: The Olympics are Too Much
Old 02-24-2006, 05:25 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

I love watching the Olympics but I do a lot of areobic sports so I like the "boring and unpoplular" sports such as long distance running and cross country skiing. Wished they would show more of these races rather than just "sound bites" but most of the audience would get bored and change the channel. I don't get as excited about things like figure skating and gymnastics for example as many people.

Eagle this is 100% wrong:

Quote:
I have never understood why the skaters have such trouble with the jumps. Can you imagine Bill Parcells coaching an ice skater. She would jump 14 hours a day, until it was extremely routine and no big deal. They've all got the ability to do it, but they lack the mental confidence. If you must do something to win, then "just do it."
Why didn't Parcells just get his quarterback and receivers to practice more so that they can complete 100% of their passes. Heck, they didn't even make the playoffs. This is like saying that baseball players would hit a 1000 (i.e. 100%) or NBA players would make 100% of their 3 point shots of they just practiced more and if they don't it is because they lack confidence.

The reasons for the missed jumps is obvious. They are working at the physical limit of what the best skaters can currently do no matter how much they work on it. For a particular jump there might be a probability of say 50% that they can do it successfully. The baseball analogy is that the very best hitters have batting averages between 300 and 400. There just seems to be a limitation around 400. Back to skating, let's say that there is a 50% chance of hitting a jump and the five best skaters in the world are attempting it or something with similar difficulty. Well the probability is that at least one will hit it and therefore all of them have to try it if they want to win and 50% of them fail.

MB
mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2006, 07:47 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Have Funds, Will Retire
You're right... Too old...
You SLUT!
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 06:51 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

MB, You are right.* My point is that it seems to be mental for the skaters.* I believe every baseball hitter and every quarterback begins an at-bat or a play believing they will get a hit, or complete the pass.* The skaters seem to start with the idea of avoiding the fall.* Of course, no one can do anything 100% correctly.* But I concede your point about degree of difficulty.* You've got to hit the jump, at the right time, and make it look smooth and effortless.* *

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 07:20 AM   #24

These sports all require rigorous training and dedication and judgement is being passed by people, some of whom changeing the battery on the Remote is as close as they can come to exercise.

The training and the route necessary for a Figure Skater starts at a very young age on a small rink in a small town then progresses through years of travelling, training, competing just to get to National Trials

I think Jazz is loud noise made by second rate players who could not make it in a real orchestra, I don't understand Jazz, I don't like Jazz, but I don't criticise it either.

Football, dumb sport played by morbidly obese men who wear lots of body armour so other obese men won't hurt them, unlike hockey where the skill is required to skate and pass and body armour is at a minimum.
Maximillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 10:03 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Sorry, but I've played both football and hockey.* Hockey players wear more padding than football players, although football helmets are a lot more substantial.

Hockey players wear padding in their frickin pants, and lets not mention the kneepads...whoops...I just did...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximillion
I think Jazz is loud noise made by second rate players who could not make it in a real orchestra, I don't understand Jazz, I don't like Jazz, but I don't criticise it either.
Uh...didnt you just do exactly that?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 02-25-2006, 11:00 AM   #26

CFB, you should have worn a larger helmet, methinks you took too many hits.

The First Intercollegaite Football game in NA was played by Mc Gill University(Go Redmen) of Montreal and Yale, McGill had to explain the rules.

Naismith, who brought the game of Basketball to the masses was a Canadian, and the FIRST documented game of Baseball , a takeoff on the English Game of Rounders, was played in Beachville, Ontario, one year before Cooperstown.

I am a former distance runner, I can identify with the sacrifices these kids make.
Maximillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 11:28 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Actually the first intercollegiate football game was played in the US between princeton and rutgers. Mcgill played rugby, not football, with some american universities.

Naismith did invent basketball. While teaching in the US.

As far as the alleged baseball game in beachville, the source of that rumor was a letter written by a Dr. Ford, describing a game he had seen played in his home town of beachville. However, Ford would have been six years old at the time of the game, which somewhat strains the believability of his extensive 'recollection'. During the decades before and after the writing of his 'recollection', he was plagued with alcohol and drug problems, and may have murdered a woman in a drunken state. He died destitute. In other words, he was a nut job and his allegations are not believable.

Along side that are well documented games played loosely on the english game of rounders, in and around new england and new york, as far back as the early 1800's. Decades before the supposed game in beachville.

Glad to strap a helmet on and bang heads with you anytime, maxy...if you can find one big enough for your fat head...
Old 02-25-2006, 01:04 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Completely Fulla BS
Glad to strap a helmet on and bang heads with you anytime, maxy...if you can find one big enough for your fat head...
Until I saw the above I was a little concerned that JG would against precedent actually go away. Then I might have to go sit in family restaurants waiting for the tired parents to come in with their kids and start squabbling.

I am relieved to realize that however the JG announcement plays out, I can save the gas and effort of traveling to a restaurant, and just tune in right here on "early-retirement.org."

Thanks guys, without you my life would not be so full. And a special thanks to all those doughty folk from up North who demonstrate that indomitable Canadian spirit. Truly it recalls fondest memories of former poster “Hyperborea".*

Ha
Old 02-25-2006, 01:21 PM   #29

Ha: My personal experience with Canadians have been mostly positive until I started posting on this board.

It defies all logic and reason that every poster from Canada, and that certainly includes Hyperboria, that have chosen to post on this board have been a--holes with a capital A.

I freely admit that I'm not smart enough to figure this out, but maybe somebody on this board can offer an explanation as to why this is happening.

Jarhead, who believes that most Canadians are not A--holes, regardless of the evidence presented to this board.
Jarhead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 02:44 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead*

It defies all logic and reason that every poster from Canada, and that certainly includes Hyperboria, that have chosen to post on this board have been a--holes with a capital A.

Jarhead, who believes that most Canadians are not A--holes, regardless of the evidence presented to this board.
Careful Jarhead. Don't forget AltaRed and Calgary Girl, who are perfectly nice. There likely are others too on this board, but I am forgetful.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 02:57 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

I would chime in as well to say I have visited Canada (Vancouver and Victoria) numerous times and had a wonderful time every time, from my stays in the youth hostel all the way up to the fanciest hotel in Victoria (across the square from Parliment?). Canadians have been consistenly friendly, polite, well educated and up on current events. I remember getting in a deep philisophical discussion with the patrons of a hole in the wall pizza parlor next to Beacon Hill Park. Magnificent country.

This is the reason I get suspicious of multiple Canadiens with attitudes, all coming on board at the same time.

p.s. Zipper is Canadian as well, right? So we have plenty of Northern neighbors who know what they are aboot!
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 04:24 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
I would chime in as well to say I have visited Canada (Vancouver and Victoria) numerous times ...

Canadians have been consistenly friendly, polite, well educated ...

This is the reason I get suspicious of multiple Canadiens with attitudes, all coming on board at the same time.
How weird. Laurence, you are only too ready to pass judgement upon others. Now does it ever occur to you, yes little ole you, that you have an attitude?

Old 02-25-2006, 04:26 PM   #33

Attached Images
File Type: jpg troll.jpg (22.8 KB, 77 views)
Old 02-26-2006, 08:47 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximillion
These sports all require rigorous training and dedication and judgement is being passed by people, some of whom changeing the battery on the Remote is as close as they can come to exercise.

The training and the route necessary for a Figure Skater starts at a very young age on a small rink in a small town then progresses through years of travelling, training, competing just to get to National Trials

Football, dumb sport played by morbidly obese men who wear lots of body armour so other obese men won't hurt them, unlike hockey where the skill is required to skate and pass and body armour is at a minimum.
I respectfully submit that you don't know much about music; jazz is the MOST difficult music to play. IMHO, of course.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 09:08 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

You could have ended your statement after the word "much".
Old 02-26-2006, 01:37 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
Careful Jarhead.* Don't forget AltaRed and Calgary Girl, who are perfectly nice. There likely are others too on this board, but I am forgetful.* *
Martha: You are of course right re: my generalizing.

I deserved being taken behind the wood-shed and given a few strokes with a well selected "hickory".

But sometimes, you just get pissed off.
Jarhead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 02:19 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Should that be in one of the sex threads... :P

Have Funds, Will Slut

Old 02-26-2006, 03:14 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Have Funds, Will Retire
Should that be in one of the sex threads...* :P

Your always helpful,
Ha
Old 02-26-2006, 04:03 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Martha, is that really you?

Old 02-26-2006, 04:27 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Her boobs aren't big enough.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote