The only Thing Missing Are The Fighter Jets [July 4th Fireworks]

I need to stay home tonight because my big brave German Shepard mix can't stand to hear even the fire crackers kids a block away are blowing off.

Wow, This is a first, My best friend and loyal companion was not liking the noise. I know he is getting old but it (the noise)never bothered him before. He was shaking. We decided to return home and Im holding him tight on the couch.

Wow, This is a first, My best friend and loyal companion was not liking the noise. I know he is getting old but it (the noise)never bothered him before. He was shaking. We decided to return home and Im holding him tight on the couch.

Poor fella.

As usual, the fireworks here in New Orleans are insane. Residents often buy expensive/dangerous commercial fireworks, that are probably illegal, and set them off in the neighborhood. Then there are the bottle rockets and such. It's not uncommon for just one resident to spend $10K or more on fireworks - - totally insane. Different blocks try to out-do all the other blocks, copious alcohol is involved, and they are all crazy. And then there are those who shoot firearms into the air, although that is mostly in town rather than out here in the suburbs. Or so I hope. Surprisingly, everyone is really good about cleaning up the debris afterwards.

I never go outside on New Year's Eve or July 4th after dark because I am hypersensitive to the noise and smoke, and get scared and jumpy just like your best friend. But it's all fine in here. It always sounds like they are setting them off on my front lawn (and sometimes they are! :LOL: but sometimes not).

Last edited:
Nothing yet here but we're approaching 7pm and fireworks are not started until at least 8:30pm.

They are legal here, but with some restrictions. Sounds like a war zone here too. My Shep mix is OK with it, but my last Shep mix, the one who passed with dementia last Sept, got more scared the older she became. Thunder shirt worked for her, at least it did up until her last 4th of July, which was a few months after the dementia diagnosis. Currently more worried about the cats, especially the one I am nursing as we wait for his surgery scheduled for next Mon. I think I fed them enough they may sleep through it. So far, so good.

Saw and heard more fireworks (and gun fire) last night that ever before "around here".

Finally tapered off here around 11 PM. Not much in the immediate neighborhood, thank heaven. What I don't get are the daytime fireworks- I guess some produce smoke but mostly they're noise. Who wants that?

Visited DS and DDIL and the granddaughters and picked up sparklers, snappers and "snakes" on the way up. They were a great hit with the 3-year old. (She was allowed to handle only the snappers herself.) That's what Grandmas are for- bringing explosives!

I was able to see a couple of nearby professional displays from my bedroom windows last night, plus a thunderstorm passing off to the west. I have to admit, nature's fireworks were a lot more impressive! There were a few individuals setting stuff off that I could see, but nothing too obnoxious.

Something I don't miss.

Our MO neighborhood was a zoo. Fireworks till 1 AM the week prior. Think I saw 3 lost dog reports. Anytime someone complained ten others tell them to get over it, one was a Vet with PTSD! Some moron told him to put cotton in his ears.

Heard an organized display for a while and enjoying the peace.

I can't watch fireworks any more. Tried it a number of times, but after about five minutes of standing or sitting in the dark watching the sky display I started thinking I was back in the war zone, and got so uncomfortable I had to leave. Now I don't even try.

Our dog goes into a panic with thunder or fireworks. Last night at dusk it got pretty bad and she was pacing and panting. MDW had noticed they were having a preview of the Dog channel (I would have never guessed there would be one). She turned it on and right away it got the dogs attention. It is dogs playing outside with soothing background music. She watched for a moment and then stopped panting. Then with that on fairly loud she laid down and slept. It was pretty amazing. Not sure if that was why they had the preview.

Residents often buy expensive/dangerous commercial fireworks, that are probably illegal, and set them off in the neighborhood. Then there are the bottle rockets and such. It's not uncommon for just one resident to spend $10K or more on fireworks - - totally insane. Different blocks try to out-do all the other blocks, copious alcohol is involved, and they are all crazy. And then there are those who shoot firearms into the air, although that is mostly in town rather than out here in the suburbs. Or so I hope. Surprisingly, everyone is really good about cleaning up the debris afterwards.

Sounds like here! For whatever reason, WV recently loosened the regulations on fireworks and we could see the difference driving home from a family party (we left before the fireworks started, it's a 2.5 hour drive). A lot bigger sizes, mortars, rockets, etc. in WV than before.

On the plus side, the county passed a statute that effective next year regulates use of fireworks to July 4th only and it all has to be over by 11:00 PM.:dance:

Crazy here in SW Washington last night. Seems like everyone in the neighborhood was blasting off rockets and such in the street. This bombardment went on for 2 1/2 hours. This AM the back lawn was littered with burnt cardboard tubes. I was concerned that some of the dry lawn would ignite. Next year, if we are still here, I'll plan to be away, with the trembling dog.

I need to stay home tonight because my big brave German Shepard mix can't stand to hear even the fire crackers kids a block away are blowing off.
Our Shelties were always scared to death on July 4th, we just had to console them until it stopped every July 4th. I heard someone on TV a few days ago refer to July 4th as Dog PTSD Day - rings true IME.

We had a next door neighbor with 20-something kids and their friends who want insane with fireworks every year. They burned our front lawn (little spots) one year with all the falling embers. We got along great and liked them 364 days a year, couldn't stand them on July 4th.

Last edited:
Apparently, Someone found some left over block busters ,M80-s or what ever the artillery are called now. We now have round 2 going on.

Back
Top Bottom