Join Early Retirement Today

The other side of the "thou shalt not retire early" coin
Old 04-27-2008, 11:26 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The other side of the "thou shalt not retire early" coin

Saw this linked at the Bogleheads site.

Economic Principals » Blog Archive » A Longer Goodbye?

Quote:
Myth: Given the growing retirement income challenge, people will have to work forever.
Quote:
Reality: If individuals worked full time until at least 66, they could enjoy a long and financially secure retirement, with incomes one-third higher than if they retired at 62.

Myth: Older workers will choose to work longer on their own.
Reality: Most people retire as soon as benefits are available at age 62.

Myth: As baby boomers approach retirement, employers will embrace older workers.
Reality: Many employers are lukewarm toward retaining older workers due to concerns that they cost too much, lack current skills, and don’t plan to stick around long.

Myth: Employers will quickly change their tune in response to labor shortage.
Reality: Many employers with a high proportion of older workers are in declining industries. Others can tap global labor markets.

Myth: Older workers have little to offer employers.
Reality: Older workers often have advantages over younger workers — including higher productivity, better judgment, a stronger work ethic, and better people skills.

Myth: Phased retirement — shifting to part-time employment with a career employer — is the solution for keeping people in the workforce longer.
Reality:Many firms are reluctant to offer phased retirement due to concerns over which workers would be eligible, health insurance costs, and part-time schedules.

Myth:Most workers can work longer by remaining with their career employer.
Reality: Career employment is declining fast — only 44 percent of male workers age 58-62 are still with their age-50 employer, down from 70 percent two decades ago.

Myth:The working longer prescription is the answer for everyone.
Reality: While today’s older workers are generally healthier and better educated, up to a third could be hard pressed to work into their mid-60s due to poor health or job prospects.

Myth: Government cannot do much to encourage longer work lives.
Reality: Raising Social Security’s earliest eligibility age of 62 could push back the work/retirement divide by changing the mindset of both workers and employers.

Myth: Eliminating mandatory retirement removed a major barrier to working longer.
Reality: Mandatory retirement could actually promote longer work lives by providing both employers and workers clear expectations about when careers end.
DD

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2008, 12:30 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Myth:Most workers can work longer by remaining with their career employer.
Reality: Career employment is declining fast — only 44 percent of male workers age 58-62 are still with their age-50 employer, down from 70 percent two decades ago.

How funny.... I turned 50 late last year and got laid off early this year.... so I am in the majority on this one!!!

Still hope to retire in 5 to 7 years... and since I had 55 on the brain when I was only 17... I am going to try and stick with that number.... at least that number to be able to do it even it I put in a couple more for safety...

Old 04-28-2008, 07:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
How funny.... I turned 50 late last year and got laid off early this year.... so I am in the majority on this one!!!

Still hope to retire in 5 to 7 years... and since I had 55 on the brain when I was only 17... I am going to try and stick with that number.... at least that number to be able to do it even it I put in a couple more for safety...
That's what I did. I bailed on my 24 year employer at age 50 but put in a couple more years. Age 55 was my original idea with the former employer but things change and I got out as soon as I could. At age 54. As it was, I could have stayed retired but for personal reasons decided to stick around for a few more years. My last employer had no real retirement plans other than a 401(k) so leaving before age 65 was no big deal.

Given the current market...I might have stuck it out a while longer if DW did not need me at home. Nest feathering does allow one more "toys" and a greater "sleep at night factor" but it has a price. W*rking longer than you really need to has to be balanced with what you gain vs what you loose. Do the math and see if you still really want to w*rk for another 5 years; but do it because it makes sense...not because of a chosen age.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:20 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Steve R...

Thanks for the words.... I would have stayed where I was if I could.... they kicked me out...

BUT, I have a nice severance and will be 'paid' double for awhile as I get my old check and now my new one!!!

And I am about to have a family.... getting married later in the year and will pick up a couple of kids... so I will have to see how much difference the cost of living will be... SO, some 'feathering' as you put it is OK with me... and since I have a new job, it is not boring yet...
Old 04-28-2008, 11:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Steve R...

Thanks for the words.... I would have stayed where I was if I could.... they kicked me out...

BUT, I have a nice severance and will be 'paid' double for awhile as I get my old check and now my new one!!!

And I am about to have a family.... getting married later in the year and will pick up a couple of kids... so I will have to see how much difference the cost of living will be... SO, some 'feathering' as you put it is OK with me... and since I have a new job, it is not boring yet...
Congratulations on the new family. I have quite a collection of family after three marriages. My newest family gave me 2 grown daughters and 4 grandkids.

Good luck with the new job. Enjoy your new life and your new family.