Join Early Retirement Today

The pitfalls of fishing trips
Old 09-01-2014, 06:12 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The pitfalls of fishing trips

Just got back from a fishing trip where all had a good time. I paid the bill and then gave the reciept to the guy who was doing all the accounting (he's an accountant after all!)

Anyway, 3 of the guys went with a guide that we all agreed to pay for ($400) and the other 3 of us went fishing on our own. Since we were going to be at the lake for 5 days, the other guys were going to give us all the info they learned.

The guys who went with the guide limited out by noon and then went to more sites for catch and release. The guide also cleaned and bagged all of the fish for them. And then they gave the guide a nice tip.

And they added the tip to the group costs. This didn't seem right to me as 1) they got to go with the guide, not the rest of us. 2) They had the guide clean all their fish (the rest of us of course cleaned our own) and 3) tips to me are a personal thing.

Hell, I'd also give a nice big fat tip if I knew 5 others were sharing the cost.

Do I have an argument or is it their right to charge us all.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2014, 06:18 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You have an argument.... the tip is part of the cost of the guide which you had said you did not want to partake...

Now, the other side can say.... hey, you got the knowledge of the guide and should pay SOMETHING for that.... but I do not agree with this argument...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 06:21 PM   #3

How much was the tip?

Did all of you share the fish?
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 06:27 PM   #4

No big deak and I'd pass on it, just me though.
Old 09-01-2014, 06:30 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

It was an odd exchange even to begin with ($67 in exchange for some intelligence about where the fish are, what bait to use, etc.) and I think you have a point on who should bear the cost of the tip. Did they go with the guide just one day or more than one day?

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 06:40 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

You got value from the guide, he's earned something. The way your buddies handled it(tip) is odd, to say the least.
Far as cleaning fish, well if I caught them, I clean them. The guide cleaned theirs as he would for any paying client.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 06:59 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Wacky. I usually tip in cash where it is called for. I think the guys that used the guide should pay the tip.

Mostly I would rather hunt and fish solo. No issues with other people and I value the alone time. Sneaking off pre dawn tomorrow to try my hand at dove hunting by my lonesome.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Wacky. I usually tip in cash where it is called for. I think the guys that used the guide should pay the tip.

Mostly I would rather hunt and fish solo. No issues with other people and I value the alone time. Sneaking off pre dawn tomorrow to try my hand at dove hunting by my lonesome.
This was on Devil's Lake, ND. It's HUGE 330 sq. miles, so yeah, we needed a guide to show us where to go and what type bait and style to use. All of us agreed to share in the $400 cost. But only 3 could go with him.

It's small change but then I didn't charge for the whiskey I brought (only one who did but several helped themselves to it, no big deal) or ice I bought for coolers, etc.

Just seems to me that a tip is for service that you personally got. Hell, I'll go with the guide next time and give him $100 knowing that I am only out 1/6 of it. Just pisses me off.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:15 AM   #9

The guys that had the guide should have paid more.

But the bigger picture is that you had a good time. So if the other five are good friends I would probably mention it but not get too pushy about it. Next time you all can discuss the guide thing in advance, assuming there is a next time.

My own story: About 35 years ago a friend and I set out in my car on a one week driving trip to some places we had never been. We agreed in advance to split fuel and lodging costs 50/50. I picked him up at his place with a full tank of gas. At the end of the trip, the last thing I did before dropping him off was fill the tank. At his apartment we sat at the kitchen table and sorted through the receipts to "settle up". We were in total agreement on everything except that last tank of gas. I explained that the tank was full when we started, and it should be returned to that state at the end of the trip. He did not see it that way. I honestly do not remember how it ended. We remained friends and did other trips together for several years before life sent us in different directions. Looking back, I would say the price of that one tank of gas did not matter.
Rustward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 01:36 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I was once in a situation where I was taken advantage of. However, I had invited a person of limited means as a guest, so I just sucked it up. I won't be repeating the invitation though.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 02:59 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Did you all get value from the guide? In other words, did you all catch more fish because of guidance from the guide (where to fish/what bait/lure/method)? If you all did get value even though you weren't with him, then share the tip and the good experience.
When we eat out with family or friends we always just split equally figuring it will all even out in the end. Minimizes any hard feelings.
Idnar7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 05:56 AM   #12

I would bite the bullet and pay the extra. it's not like its an everyday thing and why ruin a vacation for a few bucks? next time you take the guide or do the high price things and even it out.
frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 06:00 AM   #13

It gets worse. 3 are brothers, with a nephew along. Myself and my brother also went. Now they want to give their nephew "a pass" on paying anything to include my brother and I picking up his tab. WTF

This sets new highs in sheer gall in my opinion.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:40 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtbach View Post
It gets worse. 3 are brothers, with a nephew along. Myself and my brother also went. Now they want to give their nephew "a pass" on paying anything to include my brother and I picking up his tab. WTF
Shouldn't they pay for the nephew if they want to give him a pass?
Lucantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 06:54 AM   #15
Dryer sheet aficionado

I'd say nothing against the nephew, but if the 3 bros want to give him a pass they can pay it themselves. Not fair to change the arrangement after the fact.
ernow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:05 AM   #16

Did the nephew go with the guide? I'd be SUPER chapped if that's the case.

However... in most cases like this I tend to raise the issue as a point... then back off if they don't back down.
rodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:25 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I guess the moral of this story is don't be the guy who pays the entire bill! Or make sure everyone has enough money with them to pay you in cash at the end of the trip.

Right now I'd be thinking these guys are trying to put one over on me...would you have agreed to share the cost of the nephew if they had asked in advance? You don't say how close you are to these guys...if you are very close friends I'm not sure why you can't just discuss it openly. As in, nice you want to treat your nephew, his share divided by 3 is X dollars just add it your share.
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:31 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

JUSt pay up and write it off as a lesson learned. Next time, attempt to iron out who pays for what ahead of time.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:41 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
JUSt pay up and write it off as a lesson learned. Next time, attempt to iron out who pays for what ahead of time.
Can't say I agree with this. What they are attempting is actually theft, the part about the nephew anyway. Would you tell the guide or the hotel you were reducing their payment buy 1/6? The owe the debt and need to make him whole except for his share.

They think they have the power of numbers on their side 4 vs 2 so they are flexing some muscle. I wonder if this is the first time they have acted cheap?
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:34 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtbach View Post

This sets new highs in sheer gall in my opinion.

Fairness is definitely in the eye of the beholder that is for sure. And I understand where you are coming from. Last year a friend reserved a lake home for a group stay. 3 groups... Two family of 4's and myself.... Yet it was determined by the friend who booked it to split the bill equally 3 ways. I didn't fight it, but I sure got the short end of that stick, and still am curious how this fuzzy math was arrived at.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote