Join Early Retirement Today

The Plan
Old 05-01-2017, 06:19 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The Plan

In the last week, I've heard from two former colleagues asking for help causing me to look through archived files and I stumbled upon this bit of sarcastic wisdom.........

In the beginning, there was the Plan.

And then came the Assumptions.

And the Assumptions were without form.

And the Plan was without substance.

And darkness was upon the face of the Workers.

And they spoke among themselves, saying, "It is a crock of sh**, and it
stinks."

And the Workers went unto their Supervisors and said, "It is a pail of
dung, and we can't live with the smell".

And the Supervisors went unto their Managers, saying, "It is a container of excrement, and it is very strong, such that none may abide by it."

And the Managers went unto their Directors, saying, "It is a vessel of
fertilizer, and none may abide its strength."

And the Directors spoke among themselves, Saying to one another, "It
contains that which aids plant growth, and it is very strong."

And the Directors went to the Vice Presidents, saying unto them, "It
promotes growth, and it is very powerful."

And the Vice Presidents went to the President, saying unto him, "This new plan will actively promote the growth and vigor of the company with very powerful effects."

And the President looked upon the Plan and saw that it was good.

And the Plan became Policy.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2017, 06:52 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Hmmm..... Sounds like my megacorp.
Morgan22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 07:18 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

If the "plan" is making dough, then it is good.

If the "plan" is paying dividends I'll buy it.

If the workers don't like to shovel dung they can find a new job.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 05:00 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
If the "plan" is making dough, then it is good.

If the "plan" is paying dividends I'll buy it.

If the workers don't like to shovel dung they can find a new job.
Tough talk, indeed!

A management approach of "If you don't like the way we do things, there's the door" typically results in compliance but erodes commitment. While I'm no bleeding heart, I would rather have my money in a business where most of the employees (there will always be a few malcontents) feel valued and engaged.

Any fool of a CEO can temporarily improve the bottom line by cutting salaries and benefits, slashing R&D, laying off workers and demanding more from the 'survivors'. But such measures are unlikely to result in increased profits over the medium and long terms.
Old 05-03-2017, 06:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
Tough talk, indeed!

A management approach of "If you don't like the way we do things, there's the door" typically results in compliance but erodes commitment. While I'm no bleeding heart, I would rather have my money in a business where most of the employees (there will always be a few malcontents) feel valued and engaged.

Any fool of a CEO can temporarily improve the bottom line by cutting salaries and benefits, slashing R&D, laying off workers and demanding more from the 'survivors'. But such measures are unlikely to result in increased profits over the medium and long terms.
+1

No bleeding heart here either, but my conclusion from 37 years of watching managers fail upwards is that America cranks out MBAs skilled in harvesting businesses rather than nurturing them. There is only one page in my megacorp's playbook: shoot some horses, eat their grain, and camouflage the mess with a new set of buzzwords.

I won't miss it at all when I FIRE in TMY.
Old 05-03-2017, 08:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlerth View Post
...America cranks out MBAs skilled in harvesting businesses rather than nurturing them...
That's a phrase I'm going to blatantly plagiarize.

Good answer!
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 08:58 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Saw an upper manager one time declare that "If you think there is a better job out there, you should take it!" A number of high performers left. The underlings used to work a lot of unpaid overtime. That took a serious correction. When the business picked up again, if the company wanted the hours- they had to pay for it! "Business is business, nothing personal!" There was a lot of discussion about salaried union, but that never went anywhere.

The VP sorta disappeared in the middle of the night, never to be seen again. It took many years for management to achieve any level of respect from the worker bees. The real shift in organizational climate came when the legacy managers finally retired, and the underlings who had been 'used' started to assume the middle management roles. It changed from the tyrants in charge to your cohorts in charge.

I have heard that there are some good MBAs out there.
Clone is offline   Reply With Quote
'My way or the highway' is poor management
Old 05-04-2017, 05:00 AM   #8

'My way or the highway' is poor management

Quote:
I would rather have my money in a business where most of the employees (there will always be a few malcontents) feel valued and engaged.
See further The Link Between Employee Satisfaction and Long-term Value.
Old 05-04-2017, 05:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Interesting article. The last line was thought-provoking: "The problem of short-termism is systemic – managers will only think long-term when the directors and investors who evaluate them do so also."
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 08:30 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Over my 36 year c*areer, I saw Megacorp go from a "family" to just another business. I bailed before the worst of the mayhem and chaos virtually destroyed w*rker buy-in. I've had to experience some of the fall-out as long-promised retiree benefits are slowly eroded. All in all, I can't complain, but I feel sorry for those who inherited positions I was once proud to fill. It's truly sad. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote