Join Early Retirement Today

The post retirement purge...
Old 12-23-2018, 03:28 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The post retirement purge...

I’m on the verge of the ‘post retirement purge’. It will start with my work clothes. I’ve been purging but feel like I haven’t made enough progress. Why is it we fill whatever space we have? That walk in closet will finally look like the spacious room it is- at least my half. The rule if you haven’t worn it in a couple years it goes. Donation galore. Wednesday it begins. Simplify.

Funny but the Mrs bought me 3 flannel shirts for Christmas.- the new wardrobe semi bum. Wow that sounds good.
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2018, 03:43 PM   #2

+1.

I donated 1/2 of my work clothes right after retirement. Kept the balance in case I decided to consult or go PT. 18 months later, the rest need to go. Never used them, never will.
Old 12-23-2018, 03:49 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The trick is making sure you take out more than you bring in. Get ruthless!

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 04:01 PM   #4
gone traveling

WORK FROM HOME FILES!

Can't wait for the dump. Still hanging on until the fat lady sings but I have about 7-8 foot high stack of paper, I'd like to dump.
Luck_Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 04:04 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

My shredder has been a trusty friend. In return, I keep it well-oiled.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 04:19 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck_Club View Post
WORK FROM HOME FILES!

Can't wait for the dump. Still hanging on until the fat lady sings but I have about 7-8 foot high stack of paper, I'd like to dump.
Ha!!! Me too. I’m done January 25th. I’ve been pitching work files since I got the news Friday afternoon.

Retired January 2019, age 63
35/65 AA
0.00 WR
Floridatennisplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 04:36 PM   #7
gone traveling

I will be keeping all my work clothes as cargo shorts and golf shirts are always stylish.
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 04:41 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

My purge began 2 years before I retired and it’s continued for 7 years since - 95 eBay/NextDoor sales and counting. However we got rid of most of it pre-retirement. A recent flurry of sales, donations and trashing possessions was re-triggered by our expected 2019 relocation.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 05:19 PM   #9

I still wear my work shirts underneath my 80's sweaters all winter.
Mr. Tightwad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 05:34 PM   #10

After almost 9 years of retirement, new flannel shirts would be considered "formal wear" for me, ha. I'm still trying to wear out some old work-isssued clothes, mostly one or two fleece sweaters, some old cotton uniform shirts, and a couple of bomber-style work jackets. I know, I should probably part with this stuff after all this time, but I can't bring myself to part with them, especially since they are not completely worn out yet. Old frugal habits live on in retirement........

I will put on a nice flannel shirt if we are going to a friend's for a social outing, or something, so I guess I'm not a total bum..........
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 05:40 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

90% of w*rk togs are long, long gone

Excited for your impending purge

(Wait until you realize you're spending more hours in pajamas than wearing anything else)
footenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 05:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAE View Post
I will put on a nice flannel shirt if we are going to a friend's for a social outing, or something, so I guess I'm not a total bum..........

My cheap flannel shirts dont wear well after a year or two they get pretty misshapen. The Pendleton are my dream shirts but too pricey and warm.
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 06:40 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

First thing I did after ER was to go out and buy two pairs of jeans shorts at Walmart. Then I went to the Dollar General and bought one Alabama shirt and one Auburn shirt--because they were on sale for $6.00. That was my uniform for months and months. If you don't get such clothes muddy, they can be worn for 4-5 days without washing.

My golf shirts with the company logo and the ball hats were used to paint in, and I got plenty of paint on them.

I still have almost 20 pairs of high quality khaki pants that still fit me. And most are laying on my bed needing a touch up pressing. I can forget help from the wife with an ironing board.

Although my closet is large, it's packed, and I do need to do some purging.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 07:06 PM   #14

I could probably fit my entire post-retirement wardrobe in one checked bag at the air port. Well, maybe plus a carry-on. 2 pair of Levi 501's, a few short and long sleeve t-shirts, a couple button-up shirts, maybe 3 pair of shorts. Under drawers and socks. Boots, sandals. That's about it. I never ask for the senior discount, but evidently the retired uniform is so obvious, I get it without asking. Last week KFC gave me a nice discount; 8 piece bucket of chicken for $16, regularly $20. The lady slipped me 2 extra drumsticks in lieu of 2 wings even. Ha!
I hung on to a few work mementos for a few years, then even tossed those; awards, photos, even my retirement plaque. It took me a while to shed the illusion that work was anything more than a means to an end. I'm past that end on to a new beginning and it was time to let it all go.
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 07:06 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

I am in my office at home right now. Pandora playing in the background, trash comes tomorrow and I am pitching all my performance reviews from the past 12 years. Pitching sales results, letters from colleagues, pretty much anything that reminds me of work.

As far as clothes, I have about 50 ties I’ll donate and some dress shoes. I’ll keep the suits for weddings and funerals.

Gave our son all my business books.

Time to burn the ships and move on.

35/65 AA
0.00 WR
Old 12-23-2018, 07:09 PM   #16
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridatennisplayer View Post
Ha!!! Me too. I’m done January 25th. I’ve been pitching work files since I got the news Friday afternoon.
I recall the young gun, riding you like a coin operated bucking bronco from the 70's. Did he move your date forward?

The day will come, when someone drops an e-mail and a fedex letter saying my services aren't needed any longer.

Though it always stings the next one will be the last.
Luck_Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 07:10 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I too got rid of most of my dress clothes. I just kept a few nice outfits for dinner on cruises. I need to change shirts daily as I get sweaty.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 07:19 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck_Club View Post
I recall the young gun, riding you like a coin operated bucking bronco from the 70's. Did he move your date forward?

The day will come, when someone drops an e-mail and a fedex letter saying my services aren't needed any longer.

Though it always stings the next one will be the last.
Good catch. I gave my notice in September for March 31. All a part of my plan. They tried to push me out and I let them continue with 3 conference calls and watched them make self destructing statements. So last week I let them know the mistakes they made and I was taking legal action. I could hear the panic in their voices as many of the things they were bullying me with were so illegal an I let them know it.

We met Friday, they handed me a document to sign with everything I wanted and more with a confidentiality agreement to not share the contents. I signed. My last day is January 25th. My plan worked.

35/65 AA
0.00 WR
Old 12-23-2018, 07:34 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post

Funny but the Mrs bought me 3 flannel shirts for Christmas.- the new wardrobe semi bum. Wow that sounds good.

She has obviously researched retirement uniforms (at least in areas of the country with changes of season):

Winter: flannel shirt, jeans. Fleece optional.
Summer: t-shirt, shorts. Shoes optional.
Old 12-23-2018, 07:38 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

We’ve done quite a bit of purging over the last 4 years, but barely have scratched the surface. It will be catastrophic when we downsize. It would make sense to move to our snowbird condo, but it isn’t big enough. So we’ll have to find a house, and move some stuff from both places and purge the rest, and from my workshop. We’ve probably only purged 5% of what we need to.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote