Join Early Retirement Today

The problem with digital thermometers
Old 12-12-2010, 03:58 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The problem with digital thermometers

I've been feeling a bit under the weather

So, I go to my medicine cabinet and try to check my temperature. I have one of those digital thermometers that change colors (green - no fever, yellow - slight fever, red - high fever) and only takes about 30 seconds to indicate a reading.

Great, so I try to check my temp, but no go. The battery is low.

It's been a few years since I last needed to check my temp (in fact, must have been 2008, I remember, because that was when I was sick at home and not w*rking).

The problem with digital thermometers is the shelf-life on those button batteries don't last long. I bought it for convenience, but it's inconvenient to have to replace the battery too often (who want's to go out and buy a battery when he/she feels sick)?

I wish either they made a thermometer that ran on sized AAA or AAAA batteries. Or a recharger for button type batteries (I do have a solar button battery charger..but this is more a novelty than practical).

So in the meantime, I do have old-fashioned mercury thermometer. I could have used this, but I felt too long to use..so I just feel my own forehead and go..."I must have a slight fever"..and go to bed

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2010, 05:55 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Wow! I can't believe there are so many Digital Thermometers available. Here is a list of 637 of them (as of this post):

Medical Thermometer - Health Care - Compare Prices, Reviews and Buy at NexTag - Price - Review

This one runs on AAA batteries:

http://www.dealmed.com/AdTemp-427-Te...medium=CompCPC

and less than eight bucks.

RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 07:53 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I had the same problem. That's why I replaced mine with a alcohol thermometer. No batteries required.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:48 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Don't throw away that old-style analog thermometer... keep it as a backup.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:49 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

NOW you tell me! A few wks ago, our city ran a "Exchange For Free" event at the library. Trade in your old obsolete uncool hazardous Hg thermometer for modern digital device...batteries included......well they didn't advertise that but checked to see that it was working before handing it over. My ancient brain seems to be triggered by events.....but w/ a time lag. That night after I received my new thermometer, I suddenly realized why I only use solar powered calculators these days.

Think I can sue the city for the truth, but not the whole truth, advertising?
How long do you think your batteries lasted altogether? and how much do they cost to buy? A common type.....yeah, I agree AA/AAA would be more convenient but perhaps not as good for a sleek aesthetic design.......I like my clunky digital camera for that reason.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:14 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

My mom was a nurse from the 40's to the 70's, and we inherited her old mercury thermometers. Only problem I have is trying to remember which one is used for anal temp and which one is for oral temp.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:27 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Wow! I can't believe there are so many Digital Thermometers available. Here is a list of 637 of them (as of this post):

Medical Thermometer - Health Care - Compare Prices, Reviews and Buy at NexTag - Price - Review

This one runs on AAA batteries:

AdTemp 427 Temple Touch Temporal Thermometer

and less than eight bucks.
Thanks for the link about the AAA battery thermometer. That looks pretty cool.

Now my next question...does the temple-touch works just as well (accurate, convenient) as oral?
Old 12-12-2010, 09:31 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohe View Post
NOW you tell me! A few wks ago, our city ran a "Exchange For Free" event at the library. Trade in your old obsolete uncool hazardous Hg thermometer for modern digital device...batteries included......well they didn't advertise that but checked to see that it was working before handing it over. My ancient brain seems to be triggered by events.....but w/ a time lag. That night after I received my new thermometer, I suddenly realized why I only use solar powered calculators these days.

Think I can sue the city for the truth, but not the whole truth, advertising?
How long do you think your batteries lasted altogether? and how much do they cost to buy? A common type.....yeah, I agree AA/AAA would be more convenient but perhaps not as good for a sleek aesthetic design.......I like my clunky digital camera for that reason.
I hear you, about the solar only calculators. I have an old Texas Instruments solar only calculator that I've used for years and is still going strong. I also have a cheap but still working calculator that runs on one AAA battery (still on original alkaline battery).
Old 12-12-2010, 09:32 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payin-the-Toll View Post
My mom was a nurse from the 40's to the 70's, and we inherited her old mercury thermometers. Only problem I have is trying to remember which one is used for anal temp and which one is for oral temp.
This made me laugh. thanks
Old 12-12-2010, 09:33 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Now my next question...does the temple-touch works just as well (accurate, convenient) as oral?
This Instruction Sheet seems to imply they are:

http://www.templetouchthermometer.co...ns_english.pdf
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 09:42 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Looked at the instructions. Thanks. I'm sure it takes a little getting used to. I used to have an ear thermometer (ran on AAA batteries). But it would take me several tries (would get several Error readings, instead). Finally I decided to try digital oral and alway kept and old manual as backup.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:45 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I'm also a fan of AA or AAA batteries instead of the little button or lithium ones. I'm trying to standardize, and I've always got AAA and AA batteries in the house, but never seem to have the little flat button cells around. Plus, they are a lot pricier for their capacity.

BTW, if I've got a choice between buying a device that takes AA and AAA batteries (small flashlights, etc) I try to go for the AA device. The batteries (single use or rechargeable) are almost always the same price, and AA batteries have twice the capacity of AAA batteries.

Cheap source for button cells, (Harbor Freight, a sheet of 24 of various sizes for $3) but not the larger CR3032 size. We've got an electronic bathroom scale that takes those--why couldn't they have put AA batteries in something that big?
Old 12-12-2010, 09:49 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Only problem I have is trying to remember which one is used for anal temp and which one is for oral temp.
It depends on the taste...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 09:54 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
I'm also a fan of AA or AAA batteries instead of the little button or lithium ones. I'm trying to standardize, and I've always got AAA and AA batteries in the house, but never seem to have the little flat button cells around. Plus, they are a lot pricier for their capacity.

BTW, if I've got a choice between buying a device that takes AA and AAA batteries (small flashlights, etc) I try to go for the AA device. The batteries (single use or rechargeable) are almost always the same price, and AA batteries have twice the capacity of AAA batteries.

Cheap source for button cells, (Harbor Freight, a sheet of 24 of various sizes for $3) but not the larger CR3032 size. We've got an electronic bathroom scale that takes those--why couldn't they have put AA batteries in something that big?
Been trying to standardize batteries too. My favorite is AA. Seems to me as the sweet spot for portablility and performance. I try not to have anything that uses D, C sizes. AAA are ok, but I prefer AA. My next "project" is to move away from old-fashioned NiMH and use the low discharge type.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:33 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I'm surprised at the battery comments.
In my experience, the digital thermometers ($7 or 8 at the supermarket) come with batteries that last many years. At least 6 or 7 years for the last one I bought, and I just checked it to be sure the batteries are still good.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:47 AM   #16
Administrator

Personally I have an old fashioned oral thermometer instead of going digital, but mostly because when I am sick I don't feel like using a digital anything.

Quote:
As I recall the tip is shaped differently.
Quote:
Most oral thermometer’s tips are elongated, but they can be pear or stubby shaped. The elongated tip allows more contact with the surface, giving a quicker and more accurate reading. An anal thermometer’s tip is blunted, round and thick. The rounded tip is safer (not as apt to break or puncture the walls of the rectum) and more comfortable. Most anal thermometers have a red tip or mark, to remind you that they are anal thermometers. Most oral thermometers have a blue tip or mark.
How can you tell the difference between an oral thermometer and an anal thermometer?

For illustrations of the differences, go to the link and scroll down.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 10:25 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I'm surprised at the battery comments.
In my experience, the digital thermometers ($7 or 8 at the supermarket) come with batteries that last many years. At least 6 or 7 years for the last one I bought, and I just checked it to be sure the batteries are still good.
Mine lasted 6 months.... and I bought 10 batteries for .25 each.... and the first one I put in I got a 'LO' reading.... something wrong with the thermometer I think....

Now have bought another, but it is a 60 second reading instead of the 8 second one....
Old 12-12-2010, 10:41 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Check this out: http://www.amazon.com/FeverWatch-Pro...pr_product_top
Uses AA batteries. Never knew such a thing existed as a fever thermometer.

I wonder if it can be used for Ghosthunting? LOL