The Profit

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
Has anyone else been watching this new show on CNBC? I watched the pilot a few weeks ago and after 3 shows now, I am hooked. It's a different kind of reality show. The "star" is a wealthy guy named Marcus Lemones who wants to bail out small losing companies with a cash infusion and total control for a week. The agreement is done with a handshake. All he wants to do is share in the profit. Thus the name of the show.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/100788798?__sour ... rch&par=pd

I just watched the 'car cash' episode. Sort of cool, but I can't see myself watching reality shows on a regular basis, because of the typical reality show BS. I usually end-up thinking the parts that I'm interested in could have been edited down and done in 10 minutes.

I've watched two of them so far and on both episodes, he did not continue working with the owners because they were so inept at running their businesses. I can't believe business owners can be so clueless but it might just be entertainment and not true situations.
Both shows ended with he and the owners parting ways and me wondering if he got his money back.
Interesting show for sure.

I watched "Planet Popcorn". I thought it was great, lessons for most of us. I don't think he actually invested since they hadn't come to full agreement on financial and store management. Why would the store owner do this type of show? 1st of all they probably get paid something for their time regardless of the outcome. Secondly, since the popcorn business has a lot of growth potentil I'd bet the gal that owns it gets an offer or two for her business.........for far more than she could have before the show.

I loved the focus on honesty, openness and integrety. His insistance on trust prior to any nvestment made total sense. And, does anyone want to do business or be in business with anyone we don't trust? I taped the show and will insist that my kids and the people I work with watch this particular show. And, I'll watch more of them in the future.

From the promo ads I won't be watching. No need to watch stressy situations - I'm busy evicting a tenant who had a gun pulled on him by another tenant after trying to enter to second tenant's apartment. Cops say it appears the gun wielder was within his rights, the guy I'm evicting would like to press charges for having his ankle assaulted by the door - but no, he hadn't entered the other guys apartment..... Cop that wrote the report cracked me up - comedy gold.

Why would the store owner do this type of show? 1st of all they probably get paid something for their time regardless of the outcome. Secondly, since the popcorn business has a lot of growth potentil I'd bet the gal that owns it gets an offer or two for her business.........for far more than she could have before the show.

Is this anything like "Shark Tank"? I've watched that a few times. Semi-interesting, but it really made no sense to me. It did seem that most of the presenters were really there to get national TV exposure to their product - they couldn't buy that kind of advertising. And some of them seemed pretty successful - did they really need the 'shark' money? I'd bet they could find investors.

I loved the focus on honesty, openness and integrity. His insistence on trust prior to any investment made total sense. And, does anyone want to do business or be in business with anyone we don't trust?

I'm not a big fan of 'trust'. How can I know I can trust someone? I say get it in writing with protections in place. Of course, if I get the sense that I absolutely cannot trust a certain person, then I will take extra steps to assure the contracts are clear/ironclad as possible, or move on.

A lot of people 'trusted' Bernie Madoff - that is what got them in trouble.

-ERD50

I don't watch many tv shows, but this series caught my interest. I have seen three of them. The car sellers, the florist, and the popcorn. I basically went into it thinking they would all end of with successful turnarounds, but that certainly has not been the case. The florist guy deserved a good left hook. The popcorn lady owner seemed a little odd at best. I was hoping they would determine where the missing money was going, but they didn't.

..... The popcorn lady owner seemed a little odd at best. I was hoping they would determine where the missing money was going, but they didn't.

I wanted to drug test her the moment I saw her. She had her poor mom cowed, besides grabbing mom's money. It was left up to the viewer to theorize where all the $400k profit that was made in the last year disappeared to. What business owner would be unconcerned about where all the $ went, saying things like "well I don't understand math" and all the other improbable and nonsense statements she made?

I clicked across The Profit a few weeks ago, and was hooked immediately. Most businesses fail in the first five years or so, the program gives a good look under the hood as to why.

I don't see anything hokey about the show, and I would not call it a "reality show", lumping it in with a lot of crap. Having worked for a few small businesses that later failed, I think the show is a business primer.

I DO find myself wanting Marcus L. to rub it in a lot harder, get brutal, that if they continue the way they are going, they will fail, and soon. All the episodes I have seen, the owners were way in the hole, there was no way they were going to make it out on their own the way they were.

"Success is a moving target".

Last edited:
I wanted to drug test her the moment I saw her. She had her poor mom cowed, besides grabbing mom's money. It was left up to the viewer to theorize where all the $400k profit that was made in the last year disappeared to. What business owner would be unconcerned about where all the $ went, saying things like "well I don't understand math" and all the other improbable and nonsense statements she made?

I clicked across The Profit a few weeks ago, and was hooked immediately. Most businesses fail in the first five years or so, the program gives a good look under the hood as to why.

I don't see anything hokey about the show, and I would not call it a "reality show", lumping it in with a lot of crap. Having worked for a few small businesses that later failed, I think the show is a business primer.

I DO find myself wanting Marcus L. to rub it in a lot harder, get brutal, that if they continue the way they are going, they will fail, and soon. All the episodes I have seen, the owners were way in the hole, there was no way they were going to make it out on their own the way they were.

"Success is a moving target".

I need to catch this weeks one as I was out of town when it aired. Looking forward to it. I found it disturbing how 2 of them used their parents as piggy banks to keep their business going, without any regards to the parents or their finances. One obviously was in no financial shape to do this.

CNBC re-ran four episodes tonight @ 7, 8, 9, 10 PM CDT.

I missed the florist one, so I watched it. "Hank" the son of the deceased man that started and built the business, is a real piece of work. He has used $200k of his Mom's money, ran through a $100k bank line of credit and the place is a mess. Most of the time he looked like he was about to cry.
Then during the re- grand opening, after all of the changes and $150k of Marcus' money has been spent, he leaves. Marcus looks all over for him, finds out that he left. Calls him on the phone, "Hank" has no good reason for not being there, Marcus, after a bit, tells him to "turn the car around and get your azz back here, and LEAD!"

The guy Hank acted like a 8 year old spoiled child, and he's 49! I don't think he wanted to be in the floral business... but Mom doesn't have any other "job" that he could do.

After all the changes Marcus instituted, the employees are the happiest, they have more customers, are profitable, and "Hank" stiffs Marcus for his $150k and 25% of the business investment. I hope he puts liens against Hanks air.

Often, the child of a business creator is a worthless wastrel. I'm thinking of some situations that I have seen myself. But in this case, he was beyond worthless.

New episode this Tuesday night at 9 PM CDT, something about a pet care place.

Ooh -- I love these kinds of shows and I watch them with my kids, who have picked up a lot already about what it takes to run a successful business. They make comments like "how can they not know what their costs are!" and "that's a ridiculous amount to pay in rent given how few customers they have!" Restaurant Impossible, Hotel Impossible and Tabitha Takes Over are the ones we can get here currently. I'll have to see if we can get this one. Sadly CNBC isn't an option on our current satellite package, but we're up for renewal so maybe I can find another package. I miss Suze Orman, too, although I don't usually agree with her retirement advice. Kids are experts at "Can I Afford It?"

I have been watching the Profit . I really enjoy the show . The car guys were my favorite and my least favorite was the Popcorn Lady . She was hiding something .

I'm not a big fan of 'trust'. How can I know I can trust someone? I say get it in writing with protections in place. Of course, if I get the sense that I absolutely cannot trust a certain person, then I will take extra steps to assure the contracts are clear/ironclad as possible, or move on.

A lot of people 'trusted' Bernie Madoff - that is what got them in trouble.

-ERD50

I would hate to think about doing business with anybody that I did not trust... IMO, as long as both people are doing what they should be and not trying to take advantage of the other, things will work out...

I will mange this up as I do not remember it exactly, but I had a boss who said a contract is only as good as the person backing it up.... IOW, if you need to go to court to have a contract enforced, you have already lost... even if you 'win'....

Another former boss said something like 'you want to have a strong contract, but never want to have to look at it'.... basically the same meaning....

I would hate to think about doing business with anybody that I did not trust... IMO, as long as both people are doing what they should be and not trying to take advantage of the other, things will work out...

I will mange this up as I do not remember it exactly, but I had a boss who said a contract is only as good as the person backing it up.... IOW, if you need to go to court to have a contract enforced, you have already lost... even if you 'win'....

Another former boss said something like 'you want to have a strong contract, but never want to have to look at it'.... basically the same meaning....

Thee and me both. Tenants and borrowers who worry about making their payments on time are great - if they worry I don't have to. Rather have a short agreement with an honest man than pages of weasel language trying to tie down a crooked one.

I have been watching the Profit . I really enjoy the show . The car guys were my favorite and my least favorite was the Popcorn Lady . She was hiding something .

I finally got a chance to see the Eco one last night, so I am caught up. After watching this series, no wonder so many small businesses fail!

Back
Top Bottom