The Recession & our Adult children

How much would you help your adult children during a lay off ?

• They could move back in

Votes: 34 42.0%
  • I would forgo my vacation and give them the money

Votes: 9 11.1%
  • I'd lend them money at no interest

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Nothing , They are adults

Votes: 14 17.3%

• Total voters
I imagine that when my kids are on their own, I will still be willing to help if they need assistance. I believe strongly in helping them pay for their college for instance. But I do think I'd temper any such help depending on how responsible I think they've been. If they approach life LBYM and responsibly, I can easily see offering help, or if they need something special like special services for their own kids, I can imagine helping quite freely. OTOH if they got themselves into a jam with spendthrift habits (so far showing no signs of any such inclination) I'd likely be a lot more reluctant to enable further bad behavior.

I've also seen another side of this dilemma. Parents helping adult kids can inadvertently set up jealousy between the siblings. In my family, parents helping youngest sister get established and once with a new car purchase after a setback, have apparently rankled another sister who got no such support. Nevermind that she is more successful and affluent than all the other siblings, parents, aunts and uncles combined. She still feels slighted.

I have two kids, one in college and another almost there, so I am still paying. I have not voted, and probably won't because I don't know the answer, and can't really know the answer until I see the situation. It could be any of the above, or most of the above. Here's what I think I'd do, if:

-they're still young, not really been solid on their feet yet, living in apt nearby,
a) invite them to live with us until they got a job. If they had any money, I would collect a token rent, but would give it back when they were ready to move on

-more advanced in years and maturity with a modest mortgage and predominantly LBYM lifestyle, living further away, then b) I would probably visit them to check on their circumstances, ask them if they needed help and if so, ask them to disclose and discuss their finances with me so I could determine how best to help them. In this case, I may be willing to pick up some or all of the mortgage for a few months while they were looking.

-If they had a happy go lucky, devil may care attitude about money, and came asking for support, then c) I would visit them, ask them to disclose their finances as above, but as a condition for any help I would ask them to work out a plan and a budget with me, specifically spelling out what they were going to do (i.e., sell the boat, the timeshare, the motorcycles and the RV) to reduce their debt, the job search plan, and how I could help with immediate needs. In a situation like this, I am very likely to go to the grocery store and buy them a bunch of food (and maybe even a freezer to put it in) rather than to give much in the way of money.

In most cases, I would not let them go hungry or homeless, but I would only give or lend money where responsibility is shown on their part. If they are not able to do that, I will go shopping for them, and their diet will have lots of beans and rice. I'm willing to live on beans and rice to support them that way, if I have to, in addition to giving up vacations. If, after counseling with me, they were not able to give up the extras, I would not offer, or would cease any support currently offered. If they ended up homeless or hungry in this case, it would have been by their choice, not mine.

BTW, when we built our home, we did so with the presumption that it was possible that one or both the kids will either visit or need to move back home with their kids for a period of time...at the same time. We are largely set up for it should it become necessary (but still perish the thought of a long term move back home...thus the collection of a token rent mentioned above).

Slightly off topic, but still relevent:

All of this said, MIL and SisIL seem to be in dire straits right now, monetarily speaking (MIL lives with SisIL). MIL essentially hands her SS money to SisIL when she gets it...SisIL spends it frivolously, and then tells MIL to complain to us that they don't have enough money for food. We lent SisIL $600 last month (again...don't expect to see it returned, along with the other $25-30k lent/given to FIL/MIL and SisIL over the past 8-9 years). DW and I have decided that we will no longer support them with greenbacks, but will buy and deliver enough food for MIL to not go hungry.

This is a sad situation where people who were formerly well-to-do ended up too deep in debt because they could not learn to LBYM, could not change their spending habits when their earning power declined, which eventually pushed them into bankruptcy.

R

No kids, but I voted let them move back in.

Which is what I did for 18 months during my divorce. While there, though, I paid either all or half the utilities (I forget what the arrangement was), repainted the entire house and hauled out 30 years of junk that my packrat father had accumulated. Also I was putting away about $900/month toward a down payment on a house for me and worked all the voluntary overtime I could get. So it wasn't like I was lounging around.

Now, if they'd done something stupid like kick the boss in the shins and got fired as a result I'd have a different take on it.

We truly are the sandwich generation .
I wonder if we're just the first generation with enough mobility to expect to be able to not live in multi-generational housing...

Oh, they could move back in. DW has preserved their rooms, untouched, exactly as they left them.

Untitled-1cobwebs-01.jpg

Compared to most of the rest of the world, American parents and children don't understand one another very well, don't like one another very much, and don't help one another very much.

It's a loss I believe.

Ha

Compared to most of the rest of the world, American parents and children don't understand one another very well, don't like one another very much, and don't help one another very much.

It's a loss I believe.

Ha

Only the parents would be to blame for that. :) Other countries tend to eat their young if they sass back or disobey.

It's a loss I believe.

Ha

Actually I disagree I think a lot of Americans including me love their children a lot and help them out more than maybe is good for them . I've always jumped in and helped my daughter out of every crisis and lately I've discovered that maybe I've hurt her ability to figure a way out of crisis .

I don't have kids, but I'll fling my opinion out anyway....

Like others it would depend on how financially responsible they are. However, even with the worst case scenario of financial "goofiness", I would make sure they had their own place to live. Even if this means making the check payable to the mortgage company/landlord.

My sister just graduated school and hardly anyone in her class has secured a job - (in design field) - this is after total of 7 years of education - so her 10 plus years of working at a chain restaurant as a server/trainer is coming in handy as back up - never her intended long term career.

Just talked with a friend who is in his 70's, is not retired (has good university job, hasn't touched SS yet either) and his 30ish year old son finished law school and can't land a job either (a lot of firms are disappearing) so they've had to revisit their finances, bought him some health insurance and figuring out how to get him thru as he explores opportunities.

I'd do anything for my son, but he has earned that respect, etc through his frugal ways and level headed decisions so far. He's still in college, but this time next year he'll be graduating and we'll see.

We've gone through some similar thought processes related to sending our first and only off to college. How much do we help without destroying his initiative to make his own way in the world? And how much should we help, given our own pressing needs to build a retirement nest egg?

Bottom line is that we would always do what's needed to provide basic food and shelter, IF he's doing everything in his power: working or trying to find work, LBYM, etc. But luxuries and free time -- he has to earn those on his own, as the rest of us did.

DD could certainly move back in. We would be glad to help her learn an in-demand trade, too. I'm sure there will be plenty of call for cooks, housekeepers, butlers, and drivers in the future. I'll be in the den watching TV if she needs me. :D

...I've also seen another side of this dilemma. Parents helping adult kids can inadvertently set up jealousy between the siblings. In my family, parents helping youngest sister get established and once with a new car purchase after a setback, have apparently rankled another sister who got no such support. Nevermind that she is more successful and affluent than all the other siblings, parents, aunts and uncles combined. She still feels slighted.
Been there, done that. Mom let me borrow her older car for 1 year when I lived off campus to save money on room and board, until I could save up for my own used car the following summer. I paid for all costs - gas, maintenance, tires, half the insurance, repairs (lots via DIY and favors from friends), yadda yadda. The car's condition was better at the return point than it was going in.
My siblings have carried a grudge about that for years. :nonono:
BTW, I'm the youngest. Any questions? :rolleyes:

I voted lend them money at no interest because this is what I have done with my siblings twice in similar situations and they have both paid me back as soon as they were gainfully employed and back on their feet.

Also, we gave our son an interest free loan of $4k after he graduated March 2008 in the middle of a recession and was looking to find work, and find a place to live. He finished paying us back this week.

I'm a believer in providing a hand up rather than a hand out and I think it very much depends on your kids and how responsible they have shown themselves.

I've also seen another side of this dilemma. Parents helping adult kids can inadvertently set up jealousy between the siblings. In my family, parents helping youngest sister get established and once with a new car purchase after a setback, have apparently rankled another sister who got no such support. Nevermind that she is more successful and affluent than all the other siblings, parents, aunts and uncles combined. She still feels slighted.

Potentially an issue, but totally depends on the personalities involved. If my parents helped my less successful siblings a lot, I don't think I would give it more than a passing thought. That would not fly in my DW's family.

We took DS back home when his first entrepreneurial project went sour, DD after college to regroup, paid for her living expenses for 6 months when we moved out of the country until she got her bar and a job. DS has just got an MBA degree but no jobs yet, so we are contemplaign supporting him for 6 months or so until he lands one, and if he doesn't, another 3 months, and...
I voted I'd let them back home but I won't get rid of my radio collection.

I think the poll is missing the point.

The real question is what did/should you do *before* they got laid off? After he graduated, I had the "six months emergency fund" talk with my son. I think he took it to heart. I didn't preach it, I just explained to him how having that emergency fund puts you in a position of power - you have options when something bad happens, rather than being in a position of weakness which means every little thing makes you a 'victim' and pushes you further down a hole. So an emergency fund should be a very high priority.

Probably time for me to touch on the subject again, ask how he's doing with that. I'm sure he has plenty else on his mind (as a young man should).

As far as after-the-fact help... for the most part I think I would limit it to helping them avoid big long-term expenses where a little short term cash/help might get them over a hump. Like if they couldn't afford a car repair, but they need a car to get to interviews, etc. Loan them a car, loan them the money for repairs, etc. I'd probably make it zero/low interest loan, no big cost to you, but still helping them. After all, you have your life to live, their job situation is really their responsibility. They need to learn the ins/outs of job security and the options. You might not be in a position to help if there is a 'next time'.

-ERD50

I don't have kids, but I'll fling my opinion out anyway....

Like others it would depend on how financially responsible they are. However, even with the worst case scenario of financial "goofiness", I would make sure they had their own place to live. Even if this means making the check payable to the mortgage company/landlord.

I'm with you on this. We love our kids, sons-in-law and grandkids dearly, but move in with us? Uh-uh!:nonono:

The hankster's nest is empty and it's stayin' that way.

I'm with you on this. We love our kids, sons-in-law and grandkids dearly, but move in with us? Uh-uh!:nonono:

The hankster's nest is empty and it's stayin' that way.

:ROFLMAO:

about a year after our last child had left home DW turned to me one day and said "you know, for years we looked forward to having the place to ourselves, and it's even better than I imagined!!"

We've been free of kids living at home since August, 2000 and like you, we plan to keep it that way. :whistle:

I voted " Nothing. They are adults." because that is the closest one that fits but it is not exact. I have no children. DH has two from a previous marriage along with grandchildren. The relations ship is not close for a lot of reasons.
We would not allow either of them to get in a position to starve or be thrown out on the street and have, in the past made small gifts of money.
We do not "lend" because they have a poor history of repaying in addition to mismanaging their money so we do not waste our time going through the exercise of calling it a loan. K-I-S-S.
That being the case we do not short ourselves to bail them out so I would not cancel a trip nor would I go into debt or co-sign anything or other wise alter our financial plans to help them out. Temporary housing of a few days (less that a week) until they find other digs is fine but only if they were in eminent danger.

Layoff is one of the reasons why you have an emergency fund and attempt to keep on good terms with family. Some people do not grasp that concept. DH and I see no reason to put our ER at risk for those who like walking a financial tight rope and cannot be bothered with us other wise.

I agree with HaHa

The US is such a prosperous country. It enables so many of it’s children to attend college, even to live and study at remote universities when local options are available, and then after graduation urges them to start fresh on their own, even purchasing their own home when still young. This is without peer in the world. It is a reflection of values, a prized work ethic, and debt. Families work so hard yet have so much debt in the US.

Our children returned home after college and stayed for many years, to our pleasure and enjoyment. They moved out on their own initiative, and are welcome back anytime and under any condition. I trust our effort to instill values in them and trust them to make the right choices, and if they call and say they need help or need to make our home theirs, we would accept, not unquestioned, but with open arms.

The US is such a prosperous country. It enables so many of it’s children to attend college, even to live and study at remote universities when local options are available, and then after graduation urges them to start fresh on their own, even purchasing their own home when still young. This is without peer in the world.

This is the 2nd time in 2 days I heard this stated, assuming home ownership is a USA thing only. Even back in 1977 in England when we graduated, the first thing we did along with all of our fellow graduates was to buy a house (at age 22, 90% mortgage).

I just looked up the house ownership rates in England and the USA and it is 70% in England, 68% in the USA.

I think it is wonderful living in the USA with lots of opportunities but we are far from unique in being able to own our own home. I think what is possibly unique is 30 year fixed rate mortgages.

Beware of flying boomerangs:

Got Work? - ABC News

The group's 2009 Student Survey found that just 19.7 percent of 2009 graduates who applied for a job actually have one.

In comparison, 51 percent of those graduating in 2007 and 26 percent of those graduating in 2008 who had applied for a job had one in hand by the time of graduation.

Having graduated from college at a fairly prosperous time (1988) makes me feel rather lucky and blessed, looking back at it now.

Prediction: A huge spike in the number of masters degrees awarded in 2011.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom